PDA

View Full Version : Won't start...I mean nothing

400ex4ever
03-14-2004, 08:04 AM
Hope you guys can help. My neighbor, who is 14, got a YFZ a few months ago. The thing ran like a raped ape. He removed all the plastic one day to clean everything from top to bottom. Put it all back to gether and now he getting nothing. He said something about hooking the battery up and shorting something. The local dealer checked his starter relay and determinad it was bad. So he brought the new one home and still nothing. I checked his battery, fully charged. Even when he turns the ignition switch to the on position, the neutral light or headlights still do not work. I have read on another forum about the iginition switchs going bad. Any suggestions?

meangreen400ex
03-14-2004, 08:10 AM
maybe check the fuses and if that doesn't work trade it for a honda

400ex4ever
03-14-2004, 08:18 AM
He check the fuses and I looked at them also. It looked good. It has a spare one next to the inline, I will have to check and see if he tried swapping them out just to make sure its not the fuse. Thanks

CTmxyfz
03-14-2004, 09:27 AM
Is the solenoid buzzing at all? Mine did this because my battery was fine or so we thought until i cranked it where it went down to 7 amps and then 5. I would check all connections on the harness.

400EXrider#91
03-14-2004, 01:36 PM
did he check all his cable that he unhooked?

400ex4ever
03-15-2004, 11:56 AM
From what he has told me the soleniod is not buzzing. I will get with him today when he gets out of school and check it out again.

400ex4ever
03-16-2004, 11:34 AM
He swapped out the fuse and still nothing. I am beginning to think it is the ignitions switch. I have heard that others have had problems with the switch on another forum. I will keep everyone posted if anything else comes up. Thanks.

LOBORacing
03-21-2004, 10:12 AM
There are two fuses or something like that under the front fenders (They are all taped up). Mine was done by the dealer. They replaced everything (Stator, starter, soleniod) and it still wouldn't start. They then said they ordered new diodes. It started after that. I believe the diode is the taped up dealies under the front fenders. Hope this helps!

400ex4ever
03-27-2004, 06:51 AM
Just to give you all an update. The bike is fixed. I guess they took it in, and he had to of the wires crossed. Switched them around and presto. Thanks again, for all your suggestions.