PDA

View Full Version : stripped jug

baldyex
03-14-2004, 03:05 AM
02 400 ex head gasket blew out. Found front nut/stud assy was stripped in the jug side. Un-screwed it all the threads came out with the stud hole is tottally stripped. I believe this all happened during last tear down build up when he put in high compression piston.
My ? is now does he have too buy a new jug? I have heard some comments on here about a bolt kit too replace the studs in the head. Any body have expieriance w these?
If he does need a new jug does aqny one sell one ready too go w a bolt kit instead of studs and if so can it be bought w bolt kit and a 440 sleeve ready too go?
Thanks in advance

tprender
03-14-2004, 07:10 AM
This is a very common problem on the 400's when a big bore kit is installed. the reason that this happens is that the studs only go into the cyclinder not into the case, also the studs are only 8mm in size. All that you need to do is to get a stud kit from someplace and have it put in. With mine all that we had to do was retape the holes and put in the new studs and it has held together for the past year. I got mine from TC Racing, but there are other places. We tried to helicoil the bad holes but they came out also.

muff
03-14-2004, 08:18 AM
there is a couple options you can go

one is the oversized studs, however I forgot the check the diameter of mine when I installed them, they might not work so great if the threads were totally yanked, there might not be enough material for the oversized studs to still hold on....I'm not positive on this tho and someone will have to correct me on that

the other is to have a machine shop screw in threaded inserts. It cost me $50 to do 2 of the studs. They have to bore the hole bigger, and screw the insert into head, and install the stock studs back into it. Since the insert is made out of either steel or stainless you dont have to worry about the stud pullin out anymore.

If I were you I would purchase the FDO heavy duty studs and have them tap out the head for you. This is what I did, and for $100 I think it was definetly worth it.

heres a pic of the FDO studs

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid89/p7141c51e89eac854ff563c51b56f2400/fa825711.jpg

baldyex
03-14-2004, 10:58 AM
holy jesus the fdo studs lookhuge im very interested ill push him towardss goin that route that sounds like a good i dea
can a local shop install the fdo kit? and any one got an
E-address for fdo thanks for your help
what did you mean by retape the head did you mean tap not pokin fun just trying too clarify?

cals400ex
03-14-2004, 03:07 PM
the fdo studs do look pretty nice. the heavy duty timing chain doesn't look bad either.

muff
03-14-2004, 05:56 PM
yes a local shop can install the kit fairly easily....all you need to do is run the correct sized tap down and wash it out and your good to go, I opted to have FDO to do this so I wouldnt have to mess with it.

send a pm to abcracing here on this site

by the way thats a stock timing chain :p