PDA

View Full Version : Why do some people refere to their atv's as "bikes"?

logansowner
03-14-2004, 02:06 AM
As the topic said, why do atv riders talk about their "bikes"? Do they look like bikes to you? Do you call a car a bike? Or do you call a Goldwing a car? I don't mean to offend anyone, it's just that I havn't figured that one out:)

batgeek
03-14-2004, 02:14 AM
as long as people know about what you are refering to...call it whatever ya want.

like sometimes i call mine "cheese grater".

03-14-2004, 05:09 AM
i dont know sometimes i call my quad a bike or a machine but mostly a quad

redrizza
03-14-2004, 06:44 AM
I would say the main reason that has happened is because everywhere other the the U.S. they call them "quad bikes". It's still a bike, but a quad bike.
I know I call mine a bike most of the time cause people who know me know what I'm talking about first of all, and second it's just easier. When your trying to tell someone the sport your into and you tell them you race atv mx, they just don't get it :huh cause the only thing most people can imagine is what they've seen on TV...:rolleyes: So, you tell people that your race motocross and they are like, oh ok.:cool:.. but if you tell em you do it on a quad they just sit there and look at you. :huh :huh cause they just don't get it. I guess the reason I used that example is just to say that using the word "bike" just ends up being a lot easier.

logansowner
03-14-2004, 07:00 AM
Originally posted by redrizza
I would say the main reason that has happened is because everywhere other the the U.S. they call them "quad bikes". It's still a bike, but a quad bike.
I know I call mine a bike most of the time cause people who know me know what I'm talking about first of all, and second it's just easier. When your trying to tell someone the sport your into and you tell them you race atv mx, they just don't get it :huh cause the only thing most people can imagine is what they've seen on TV...:rolleyes: So, you tell people that your race motocross and they are like, oh ok.:cool:.. but if you tell em you do it on a quad they just sit there and look at you. :huh :huh cause they just don't get it. I guess the reason I used that example is just to say that using the word "bike" just ends up being a lot easier. Makes sence now that I think about it that way, there sure are some stupid people out there:blah:

Jeffksf
03-14-2004, 07:50 AM
THat bothers me too and I always check my posts to make sure I don't use the term bike for a 4 wheeled quad.:rolleyes:

Samson
03-14-2004, 07:53 AM
Originally posted by logansowner
As the topic said, why do atv riders talk about their "bikes"? Do they look like bikes to you? Do you call a car a bike? Or do you call a Goldwing a car? I don't mean to offend anyone, it's just that I havn't figured that one out:)

Heard one guy say quads are just motorcycles with training wheels! :o

Disaster
03-14-2004, 09:57 AM
Maybe they use to ride bike so now they just call them bike by accident....

Atreyu
03-14-2004, 10:02 AM
When I had a waverunner, my uncle called it a "wetbike." Got annoying.

TRX250X
03-14-2004, 10:19 AM
My fiancee wonders why I always call my snowmobiles "sleds". That's just what they are and what a lot of people call them. I guess it's easier to say sled than snowmobile, so that's just what people do.

Out_Sider
03-14-2004, 10:23 AM
i call mine a bike

northeast400
03-14-2004, 11:17 AM
I call mine the money pit or the wallet sucker

86atc250r
03-14-2004, 11:18 AM
Well, it's because of the similarities - you straddle it like a "bike", it's controls are like a "bike", you control it with handlebars and body english, it likely has a bike engine, you ride it like a "bike", many of us switch back and forth between a dirtbike and quad.

Really the only real dissimilarity is it has two more wheels.

One thing that bothers me is when people talk about "Driving" a quad.

You don't ride a car, you drive a car... You don't drive a quad - you ride a quad.

Samson
03-14-2004, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by northeast400
I call mine the money pit or the wallet sucker

Just proves quads are female! :D

400exrider555
03-14-2004, 12:43 PM
i call snowmobiles sleds and myquad a bike, dont know why always have always will

03-14-2004, 12:44 PM
because they wish there atv's were bikes possibly

400exrider555
03-14-2004, 12:56 PM
now why would we want our quads to be regular bikes? you can get a quad anywhere a bike can go and faster:devil:

03-14-2004, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by 400exrider555
now why would we want our quads to be regular bikes? you can get a quad anywhere a bike can go and faster:devil: lets not start this arguement here

bikes vrs quads
check that thread

03-14-2004, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by gangsta
lets not start this arguement here

bikes vrs quads
check that thread

i think he said that because he knew what you say when you read it.. he knew you would do something.. so he said it:)

03-14-2004, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by member
i think he said that because he knew what you say when you read it.. he knew you would do something.. so he said it:) once again
translate that phrase out of the redneck dictionary
sorry if im slow of learning your language

03-14-2004, 01:28 PM
once again
translate that phrase out of the redneck dictionary
sorry if im slow of learning your language

do i need to type slower??:confused:

03-14-2004, 01:31 PM
and who are you to say i'm redneck?? Have you ever met me before.. no you haven't.

03-14-2004, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by member
and who are you to say i'm redneck?? Have you ever met me before.. no you haven't. you speak redneck language maybe

walks like a duck
quacks like a duck
its a god damn duck

Samson
03-14-2004, 02:39 PM
you speak redneck language maybe

walks like a duck
quacks like a duck
its a dog damn duck

If it walks like a duck it's a dog? Makes sense to me! :huh :D

redrunner
03-14-2004, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by Samson
Just proves quads are female! :D

LMAO! :D

logansowner
03-14-2004, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by Atreyu
When I had a waverunner, my uncle called it a "wetbike." Got annoying. Now that is stupid, I think it's stupid, but I can deal with people calling a quad a bike, but a "wetbike" didn't you just want to smack him? lol:D

maxthrottle
03-14-2004, 06:33 PM
actually i do call a goldwing a car........... :confused:

xr50layke
03-14-2004, 06:44 PM
my friends dad called his quad a bike, it was annoying. i use the words dirtbike, quad, sled, nothing else.

hondamxer161
03-14-2004, 07:32 PM
there was an old school ride that was for the water, had one ski on the front, and then a jet out the back...it floated low til it was moving and it rose up out of the water. it was called a wetbike!

mike

JOEX
03-14-2004, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by batgeek
.......like sometimes i call mine "cheese grater".
You must have a gripper seat!:eek: :D

03-14-2004, 07:47 PM
you speak redneck language maybe

walks like a duck
quacks like a duck
its a god damn duck

ok ... i dont speak redneck language but ok...:huh

JOEX
03-14-2004, 07:59 PM
member and gangsta,

Take your crap elswhere.

outacontrol31
03-14-2004, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by Atreyu
When I had a waverunner, my uncle called it a "wetbike." Got annoying.
on the texas border that could be fighten words to some of the local population down here:D

03-14-2004, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by outacontrol31
on the texas border that could be fighten words to some of the local population down here:D

hahhaha thats kinda funny

03-14-2004, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by JOEX
member and gangsta,

Take your crap elswhere.

your right man ... i should just chill out:o thanks

SGA
03-14-2004, 11:31 PM
The reason people call them bikes is because bicycles have been around forever, way before cars. (Bi means two as in two wheels). It was too long to say bicycle, so people called them bikes for short. Then way back they dropped a engine in a bicycle and called it a motorcycle. The word "bike" became a standard for anything that you ride, such as a bicycle, motorcycle,etc. It carries over to quads because the are similar to "Bikes" (motorcycles)