PDA

View Full Version : Is it my Impeller?

Narly R
03-13-2004, 11:20 PM
My bike keeps blowing steam outa my overflow on my radiator. I dont have a blown head gasket, my fluid isnt low. I dunno if it is pluged somewhere or sumthin, but could it be my Impeller? Is this common? I think I am going to take it out tomarrow and see if it is, how would I know by looking at it? Is there anything I can do to test it? Thanks.

tprender
03-14-2004, 09:13 AM
Fill the tank full with anti-freeze and start the bike. Take the cap off and see if the water is moving. If it is your impeller should be good. What you could have is some old or bad anit freeze and causing it to over heat or you have something clouging the a hose or passage someplace.

Narly R
03-14-2004, 10:32 AM
Shouldnt I take the cap off before I start the bike? It builds up too much pressure doesnt it? But Ill try that, thanks. If it is moving Ill ckeck for cloged hoses or sumthin...:confused: Thanks.

Tommy 17
03-14-2004, 10:43 AM
do not remove the radiator cap when the motor is hot!!!!!!!!!

my cousin did that once and it exploded on him and burned him pretty bad... do not open it up hot!!!!!!

Narly R
03-15-2004, 06:13 PM
Ok thanks, I knew that, but I guess if I do it right when I start it, it should be ok.

sandspanker
03-15-2004, 09:24 PM
:confused: THAT IS A TUFF ? I HAD A STOCK CYLINDER THAT HAD A WARPED DECK. IT WAS FILLING MY OVERFLOW BY EXHAUST PRESSURE. HAD NO SIGNS OF A BLOWN HEADGASKET, ALSO CHECK THE PRESSURE OF THE RADIATOR CAP I THINK IF IS SHOULD BE ABOUT 16 PSI. JUUST ANOTHER THOUGHT.:p

Aceman
03-15-2004, 11:20 PM
Try what Tprender said. Take the cap off, start the bike and watch to see if your coolant is circulating. Check your radiator hoses also, if they are soft or spongy replace them. If your hoses are good and coolant still isn't circulating now would be the time to check your impeller. Are your running a fresh mix of the correct ratio of coolant, I usually do 50-50 water/antifreeze. Also how is your radiator cap, does the rubber seal seem to seal tightly against the radiator when you screw the cap on?

sandspanker
03-16-2004, 07:49 AM
:o FORGOT TO MENTION, I HAVE HERD TO THE IMPELLER SHAFT BREAKING BEFOR.

ryanh250ex
03-16-2004, 07:55 AM
Originally posted by sandspanker
:o FORGOT TO MENTION, I HAVE HERD TO THE IMPELLER SHAFT BREAKING BEFOR.

holy caps lock batman!