PDA

View Full Version : 400ex coil

onebad450r
03-13-2004, 07:05 PM
I have a 400ex that has a weak spark. I have checked everything out and came up with the conclusion that it is the stator (magneto). I checked the resistance of the black/red striped wire from the stator and keep coming up with 93.3. Does anybody know what the correct resistance should be? Any help would be appreciated

JOEX
03-13-2004, 09:15 PM
I'm not sure if this what you're after, i'm not so good at trouble shooting electrical issues:p

The manual says the "charging coil resistance" should be 0.1-1.0 ohm.

onebad450r
03-13-2004, 09:24 PM
I just took the side cover off and there was a small amount of oil in around the stator. Is this normal? after re-reading my post, I was wandering if anybody fully understood my question....my charging system is okay (14 volts at idle)...its the spark at the spark plug that concerns me...very little....the bike still starts and runs, but performance is on low side. It has a miss on a hard acceleration at mid range and top end....I have not changed anything and it was running great untill recently. The motor was freshened up about 2 months ago (tc 440 national kit). I cleaned the Air filter and carb again but they really did not need it. Put a new plug in and checked my coil wire (I had to cut some of of both ends it was green)..... I am running out of ideas because it was running great and know it runs like crap...I just keep thinking that its electrical and can't get it figured out

MIKE400EX
03-14-2004, 06:58 AM
Oil is normal there, it's a "wet" flywheel/stator, unlike most 2 strokes. Check the ground connections, especially the coil mount. You are checking the black/red wire to what? Ground or another wire?

EXerHonda400
03-14-2004, 09:36 AM
Check the voltage going to the coil, it should be at least 100 Volts (Between Black/Yellow wire and Ground). If it's not then your CDI might be faulty. It is a peak voltage, so if you don't have a tester that can hold the reading at a maximum spot then you will need to get one. You should also have a 100 Volts going into the CDI from the Exciter coil. To test that you disconnect both plugs from the CDI and then in the 4 Pin connector you put the Negative lead of your tester on the Green/White wire and the positive goes to the 2 pin connector on the Black/Red wire. That is also a peak voltage situation. For these tests, make sure that the Spark Plug cap is off. There is one other test but it doesn't seem to me that it is your problem, but if these don't help i will post it for you. If you have any questions you can PM me or IM me on AIM.

EXerHonda400
03-14-2004, 10:22 AM
Here is the troubleshooting page, i can also post the whole ignition testing procedure. http://www.outdrs.net/~t_guenther/miscpics/trouble.jpg
Hope it helps.