PDA

View Full Version : is there a truck doctor in the house?

Stevie-D
03-13-2004, 07:03 PM
ive got a '91 Ford Ranger. im replacing the oil pump on it's 2.3 liter 4 banger. ive heard some real horror stories concerning replacing an oil pump in a ranger. i heard that in order to remove the pump, you need to remove an engine mount and unbolt the tranny and slide it back to allow the pan and pump to come out. ive got a ranger with a 2.3 four banger. i plan on replacing the pump myself, in the morning as a matter of fact. ive got the truck jacked up and ready to go. but it doesn't seem necessary to remove the tranny or unbolt an engine mount. everything seems like it will go out and in with no problem. does anyone know what is it going to involve?

rowlrag
03-13-2004, 07:09 PM
One of the main things is to get the motor jacked high enough with the mounts loose from the frame, to be able to drop the pan down low enough to clear the crank, main caps and the pump itself. Experience will depend on how much needs to be removed to do a job like this. Good luck:D

Willfulone
03-13-2004, 10:55 PM
What he said...

It falls under the cost vs labor spec...

IE it is worth the 75 bucks to pay the guy from Toys R Us to come out to the house to put together the new swing set (rather than
spend 12 hours with a thousand nuts and bolts) or if you want to look at it this way...no problem on doing it...pretty straight forward...but it is not worth the time or money to do this one on your own.

Take to a shop, and drink a couple of beers

Peace Willfulone