PDA

View Full Version : Need help with new chain

dtycoon
03-13-2004, 11:26 AM
I went to replace my stock chain today and realized there is no master link. How do I remove it? Your help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

dtycoon
03-13-2004, 05:18 PM
bump

KY Woods Rider
03-13-2004, 06:34 PM
The easy way to do it (and it won't damage the chain) is to use a tool called a chain breaker, which pushes out one of the pins from the links.

The second choice (which won't damage the chain if you do it correctly) is to use a Dremel and grind down the head of one of the pins that hold the links together, then take a nail or small round punch and knock out the pin (this can sometimes be tricky when the chain is still on the quad though).

Option number three, assuming the chain is already worn out and you don't care if you damage it, just use a dremel or hacksaw (it'll take you a while) and saw through the chain.

Option four, remove the swingarm and take the chain off in one piece, but this is a great deal of work just to remove a chain.

dtycoon
03-13-2004, 06:37 PM
Thanks for the reply, I will try option 2 if I can get my hands on a tool, if I can't its on to option 3. Thanks again.