PDA

View Full Version : Motor Chugging/Clunking

everest21
03-12-2004, 10:04 PM
I just wanted to see how many people have noticed theyre R chugging/clunking at lower rpms and what (mechanically) if anything theyve done about it. Details please.

I already started this on the "jetting?" post.

robby26wi
03-12-2004, 10:36 PM
use the clutch or the gas...It isnt a tractor...

baron
03-13-2004, 02:16 AM
LOL , DONT SWEAT IT ! GET ON THE R'S AND RIDE IT LIKE IT WAS MEANT TO BE RODE ,IF YA WANT TO *****FOOT AROUND YA SHOULD HAVE GOTTEN A LESSER QUAD , HANG IN THERE BETWEEN GEAR CHANGES , THIS BABE WILL AMAZE YOU .................SORRY BOUT' THE CAPS LOCK

Guy400
03-13-2004, 06:07 AM
Originally posted by everest21
I just wanted to see how many people have noticed theyre R chugging/clunking at lower rpms and what (mechanically) if anything theyve done about it. Details please.

I already started this on the "jetting?" post. It's simply gearing. The 450R is geared pretty high therefore it doesn't like to be lugged in lower RPM's. Either drop a tooth on the front sprocket or go down two teeth on the rear.

Wingnut
03-13-2004, 07:12 AM
Originally posted by Guy400
It's simply gearing. The 450R is geared pretty high therefore it doesn't like to be lugged in lower RPM's. Either drop a tooth on the front sprocket or go down two teeth on the rear.

You mean add two teath in the rear, right?

Guy400
03-13-2004, 08:35 AM
Originally posted by Wingnut
You mean add two teath in the rear, right? Yep...that's what happens when you decide to type before you've had your morning coffee:D

2004TRX450R
03-13-2004, 09:28 AM
These engines are made to rev not lug. If you lug it it will do that.

everest21
03-14-2004, 08:54 AM
Thanks for your opinions, I think its a combination of the motor, having ridden a 400ex for so long and gearing.
Im just not happy with "your lugging it", nothing is simple theres always more to it and a way to change it. I dont ride woods but I would think guys that do would hate this condition.
Ive rode CRFs that dont do this, I think Guy400 is right.....its a gearing issue. "Thats how it is"...........Bullsh**!.

alias
03-14-2004, 09:46 AM
It IS caused by lugging it, give the beast some gas.

jmpulse
03-14-2004, 07:38 PM
The 450R hates to lug! I am having to train myself away from my 400's riding style. I have heard noises that sounds like it is ready to come apart just about every time I lug it down. It is especially bad in second and third gear.

I think that I am going to get a little louder exaust, max 93dB, to help cover up all these weird noises!

greghall
03-14-2004, 07:43 PM
Change the gearing I dropped down to a 13T in the front & its great if you ride alot of woods its a must do.

sparky450AR
03-14-2004, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by jmpulse
The 450R hates to lug! I am having to train myself away from my 400's riding style. I have heard noises that sounds like it is ready to come apart just about every time I lug it down. It is especially bad in second and third gear.

I think that I am going to get a little louder exaust, max 93dB, to help cover up all these weird noises!

lol me too....

joe1l
03-14-2004, 08:49 PM
I know the noise real well. It was happening to me in the woods so I went down to a 13t up front. I still noticed it slightly during real slow trails, so I went up 1 tooth in the rear to a 39, and now it doesn't do it at all!!! It feels great now!!

ZRider400
03-14-2004, 08:54 PM
my old CRF450 dirtbike did noises like that too.....especially when idling low.

its made to be revved:p

greghall
03-15-2004, 06:43 AM
Originally posted by joe1l
I know the noise real well. It was happening to me in the woods so I went down to a 13t up front. I still noticed it slightly during real slow trails, so I went up 1 tooth in the rear to a 39, and now it doesn't do it at all!!! It feels great now!! Yeah joe im going to a 39T in the back to it will be perfect I think with a 13/39t combo.

joe1l
03-15-2004, 10:51 AM
13/39t combo is great for woods, tight trails, any thing like that. For sand i would stick with the stock 38t rear. The bike really acts alot different now!

redrider410
03-15-2004, 06:43 PM
I was just about to post this same problem till i read this, thanks for the info, you saved alot of agrivation.

Will the clutch withstand this much abuse from me using it to keep the quad from stalling in the tight woods trails???

joe1l
03-15-2004, 06:51 PM
The way I figure is that I rather gear it down, then use the clutch that much because it makes the bike more rideable for me, and ultimately more fun, but this is my dedicated woods bike so therefore it makes sense for me to do this.

greghall
03-15-2004, 06:52 PM
The gearing change made all the difference in the world. Dont let people tell you to rev it out ,a four stroke can be lugged & you can use the power threwout the entire RPM range,the bike is fine for open terrain but when you need low end grunt in tight sections or even mudd or a steep uphill without a run up to it a gearing change is a must have. I have 13/39T on mine.

everest21
03-15-2004, 07:34 PM
Good to hear different opinions on this, I knew I couldnt be the only one who noticed it. You do have to ride it different from the 400 thats for sure. Ive gotten used to it, but like greghall said...."just rev it" isnt the answer. I agree....its a four stroke, you should be able to get power from bottom to top. Sounds like a gear change is in the works for mine.

So I take it stock is 14/38? What about just one tooth up in the rear 14/39....or is that not enough to make a difference?

Thanks to all you guys for your input.

okie400exrider
03-16-2004, 12:42 AM
How much does dropping one tooth up front lower top end speed? I would like to drop the one tooth to give me better starts in the sand at LS during a drag race. Once it gets revved up it eats everybodies lunch.

greghall
03-16-2004, 06:43 AM
Originally posted by everest21
Good to hear different opinions on this, I knew I couldnt be the only one who noticed it. You do have to ride it different from the 400 thats for sure. Ive gotten used to it, but like greghall said...."just rev it" isnt the answer. I agree....its a four stroke, you should be able to get power from bottom to top. Sounds like a gear change is in the works for mine.

So I take it stock is 14/38? What about just one tooth up in the rear 14/39....or is that not enough to make a difference?

Thanks to all you guys for your input. ONE TOOTH IN THE REAR WONT DO IT GO WITH THE 13T IN THE FRONT,THATS WHAT YOU HAVE TO DO,IF YOU GO BIGGER THAN ONE TOOTH IN THE REAR YOU WILL HAVE SKID CLEARENCE PROPLEMS.39T IN THE REAR JUST CLEARS THE SKID.

baron
03-16-2004, 07:18 AM
glad to see this tossed around , i have 13 on front and it really helps alot , 90% of my riding is woods .....so i think i will try some of this advice and switch to 39 in rear , i hope it helps alot ,there are times that i like a casual ride through the woods and dont want to run balls to the wall

joe1l
03-16-2004, 07:55 AM
How much does dropping one tooth up front lower top end speed? I would like to drop the one tooth to give me better starts in the sand at LS during a drag race. Once it gets revved up it eats everybodies lunch.

I would not go down 1 tooth in the front if you are trying to drag in the sand, instead add 1 or 2 to the rear, to help give you better starts. +2 in the rear will not affect your top end speed as much as -1 in the front. Also the more you add mods, the less of an issue the gearing will become.