PDA

View Full Version : Mounting tires

Woodsrider
03-12-2004, 09:09 PM
I'm finally getting around to putting my RAZRS on my stock rims. My question is this. Short of using a tire machine, how does one manage to get the side wall over the bead of the rim. I have been wrestling one tire for better than an hour trying to get the outer sidewall over the rim.These damn 6ply sidewalls are kickin my arse:grr:

Our tire machine at work wont grip anything smaller than a 12" wheel.

ZSK
03-12-2004, 10:16 PM
Try using a couple tire irons and a friend. Took two people to get some small tires on.

Woodsrider
03-13-2004, 07:43 AM
I finally got pissed last night and ordered a tire changer, but it wont be here for two weeks. I have to work today so I guess I'll take them in and see if I can get them on with some help at work.

250rAL
03-13-2004, 08:29 AM
On a lot of wheels, you can only put the tire on from one side. On wheels with a large bell on one side, you'll never get the tire stretched over.

03-13-2004, 08:35 AM
its easy with a friend helping you......thats how I always get mine changed....tire changers are worthless

dirtmomma
03-13-2004, 08:36 AM
Shoulda just went to Harbor Freight tools & got a tire changer for $39.99, don't laugh they work damn good!!!

Bill Fuller
03-13-2004, 08:48 AM
"I ****** therfor I am":D :D Love it momma:devil: One of the hardest things to do to a Honda is break the bead on a tire.I payed for it until I got bead locks.most farm supply stores that change tires will do it for cheap(CO-OP).

Woodsrider
03-13-2004, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by dirtmomma
Shoulda just went to Harbor Freight tools & got a tire changer for $39.99, don't laugh they work damn good!!!

Well thats good to hear! Thats where I ordered it form last night:D Only its on sale for $26.99:D
I took them to work today and got them on with an extra set of hands and three tire irons.

Bill, breakin the bead wasnt the problem. I took the tires to work and used the bead breaker on the tire machine. Getting old tires off the rims was pretty easy I just cut them off with a saws all:D The hard part was stretching the tire back on to the rim with out something holding and rotating the rim. I guess I am spoiled using a pneumatic tire machine to do all the hard work on car tires :o

JOEX
03-13-2004, 09:47 PM
Is the Harbor Freight tire changer able to break beads on stock and/or non-stock tires?

Joe

Woodsrider
03-14-2004, 08:05 AM
Joe they have two on their website. One is bigger than the other, I bought the smaller of the two, mainly because I can break the bead at work. But when it gets here Ill let you know how well it works;)

dirtmomma
03-14-2004, 08:41 AM
HEHE Thanks Bill!!:D
Hey Mike you will probably still need 2 people to do it w/ the tire changer also, it's takes Ron & I to do them but once you getit down it goes smooth. The 1st time we used it it took us FOREVER & we were wore out LOL but after that we finally got it down & only took about 30 mins!! So get the wife out there to help :p Glad to hear your getting one!!! I wonder if the website is has better sales than the stores??? I LOVE that store everytime we walk outta there it's costs us about $100 :o Thats why we only go every so often :)

JOEX
03-14-2004, 09:29 PM
Mike, yes, let me know how it goes. I really want to get one but I don't want to waste my time and $$ on a POS;) :)

Kym, you can buy alot of stuff for a $100 there! I went to the one down here and bought a bunch of stuff, wrench set, tube of zip ties, truck bed load holder, tie downs and a few other things and it was only $50-60:D

I'm afraid to go back!:D :o :p

dirtmomma
03-15-2004, 08:19 AM
Originally posted by JOEX
Mike, yes, let me know how it goes. I really want to get one but I don't want to waste my time and $$ on a POS;) :)

Kym, you can buy alot of stuff for a $100 there! I went to the one down here and bought a bunch of stuff, wrench set, tube of zip ties, truck bed load holder, tie downs and a few other things and it was only $50-60:D

I'm afraid to go back!:D :o :p

HAHA YEP thats for sure ;) WE bought our air tools there haven't really used them yet though, gotta get our big compressor rewired & don't know if the little one will handle them, just haven't tried!!! WE got there about once every 6 months!!
Need to make a trip there soon to get good ol zip ties & tie downs wonder if I can walk out w/ JUST that LOL

Woodsrider
03-15-2004, 07:39 PM
I have yet to set foot in the store. I order it all on line and have it shipped. The nearest warehouse is Tacoma, and I dont like the neighborhood its in. Besides, Id be like a kid in a candy store. Just like at Costco:D

Joe, Ill give you a full heads up on it as soon as I get it. I have to break the beads on the front tires and clean the bark and dirt out so they will hold air for Goldendale. Also Kayla wants here wheels PC'd on her Kasea.

Bubba
03-15-2004, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by dirtmomma

are you talking about the mini/atv tire changers? because i got one of them and tore it all up. we bolted it to the work bench and i bent the shaft that the tires goes over. bent all the accersories that go with it. you get what you pay for i reckon:rolleyes:

dirtmomma
03-15-2004, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by Bubba
are you talking about the mini/atv tire changers? because i got one of them and tore it all up. we bolted it to the work bench and i bent the shaft that the tires goes over. bent all the accersories that go with it. you get what you pay for i reckon:rolleyes:

Noooo this is an actual auto tire changing machine, it does bolt to the floor, it's about 3-4ft tall, will change up to a 17" tire I do believe.