PDA

View Full Version : Problem with cam ( I NEED HELP FAST)

Pete_SI
03-12-2004, 06:22 PM
Hi,

How do you remove the thing on the end of the stock (what I mean by thing is what bolts to the timing chain sproket). I need to remove that beacause I have a hot cams to install

methyman
03-12-2004, 06:33 PM
You need to have it pressed off. All new hot cams come with a flange on it already unless you got a older one. Take it to a machine shop to get the flange pressed off and installed to the new cam.

Later

Matthew

Pete_SI
03-12-2004, 06:35 PM
What do you call old...1 year???

methyman
03-12-2004, 06:43 PM
At least a year or more. Give Hot Cams a call and ask them out it.

Later

Matthew

Pete_SI
03-12-2004, 07:20 PM
I took it out with on big hammer but the stock cam and the hot cams is not the same so I guess it wont work???

03-13-2004, 05:49 AM
Do you have a service manual:confused:

SnellCRP
03-13-2004, 07:26 AM
You don't need that part on your cam so go ahead and install the cam without it. As you are able to see, most aftermarket cams do not come with the decompression assembly unless they are a stock regrind. It is suppost to aid in the starting process, but I just had one apart yesterday and I took the decompression assembly off of the stock cam and it made no difference in starting. IMPORTANT: make sure you remove the decompression spring and pin or it will end up chewed up in your engine. My .02.:)

Pete_SI
03-13-2004, 07:51 AM
Thank you very much...one more question there is on thread on the stock cam that is bigger(probably to make sure you put it the right way)and there is no such thing on the hot cams so how am I suppose do know to put?

Pete_SI
03-13-2004, 08:48 AM
nvm I figured it out... Another question how do I know how to put my cam and timing sproket...My piston is top dead center.

SnellCRP
03-13-2004, 09:08 AM
If you have the sprocket hub pressed on the cam right all you have to do is make sure the piston is at TDC and put the cam in with the lobes pointing down and the lines on the sprocket parallel with the mating surface of the rocker cover. This puts the motor in the compression stroke put the chain on and bolt in the sprocket and turn it over and put the other bolt in. IMPORTANT: make sure you locktite the sprocket bolts and have taken the decompression pin and spring out of the head. :)

Pete_SI
03-13-2004, 09:18 AM
What so you mean by locktite you sproket bolts...Sorry if It sounds stupid.

SnellCRP
03-13-2004, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by Pete_SI
What so you mean by locktite you sproket bolts...Sorry if It sounds stupid.

There is no such thing as a stupid question that is how we learn. I mean just put some LoctiteŽ Threadlocker Blue, red or green on the threads of the allen head sprocket bolts before you put them in the cam sprocket hub. It's just cheap insurance so that they never work themselves loose and tear up the engine.

:)

Pete_SI
03-13-2004, 09:43 AM
Thank you very much

Pete_SI
03-13-2004, 10:00 AM
One more question...lol.... How can I make sure my piston is TDC...I heard there was a letter that appear(i know where but I cant describe it)

SnellCRP
03-13-2004, 10:17 AM
If your flywheel hasn't been lightened and you still have the marks on the flywheel just take the plugs out of the left side cover and you will be able to turn the engine over with a 17mm socket (turn the same way as the chain rotates, counterclockwise). The top plug will have a groove in the threads at the top, turn the motor over until the line on the flywheel with the letter T next to it is in line with the groove in the threads. I always take the plug out and stick a screwdriver in the hole to make sure the piston is at the TDC. If you had the head off you could use a dial indicator to indicate TDC, but as long as your marks are still on the flywheel thats all you need.