PDA

View Full Version : How do I stop my front shocks from bottoming out??

AAAirbooorn
03-12-2004, 05:20 PM
Can I put new springs on??

cdalejef
03-12-2004, 05:54 PM
Are you talking about stock shocks?
What are you hitting when they bottom?

duncanracing400
03-13-2004, 10:43 AM
just buy a shock tool from your local motox dealership.. if u look at the bottom of your spring, there is a little round piece with 5 notches in it, u move that around with that tool from 1-2-3-4-5 or 5-4-3-2-1, but NEVER directly from 1-5 or 5-1, i have my stock shocks set on 3, because 4 was too stiff, if they are 2 or 1, no wander they are bottoming, but if they are on 3 or higher, they shouldnt be bottoming if u are jumping jumps right and not landing awkward or coming up short. look at your shocks and ull c what i mean, also, read your manual, theres an article in there that tells u about it, but the only way u can move that ring is with that tool, and there only about $5, so i would say just go out and get one, good luck :)

cdalejef
03-13-2004, 10:49 AM
Channel locks work also

QuAdEr 317
03-13-2004, 11:52 AM
to make it stiffer do you tighten it or loosen the notch? its a dumb question but i duno which

cdalejef
03-13-2004, 12:06 PM
Tighten

crap-banshee32
03-13-2004, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by Jeff@QuadShop
Channel locks work also

yep.....theres no special tool required:)

AAAirbooorn
03-13-2004, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by duncanracing400
but NEVER directly from 1-5 or 5-1

Why NEVER??????:huh :huh :confused:

Thanks guys.I guess I couldn't put stronger springs on the stock shocks or some other mod.?!?

ZSK
03-13-2004, 02:30 PM
Isn't this just the preload adjusment? I always thought that the preload just set the ride height and not the spring rate.

crap-banshee32
03-13-2004, 02:45 PM
theres no preload adjustment on stock 400 shocks....haha

u can only adjust the spring tension.

Nick

cdalejef
03-13-2004, 02:51 PM
Setting the preload (or ride height) on a non SSD shock will also stiffen them a bit.

duncanracing400
03-13-2004, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by AAAirbooorn
Why NEVER??????:huh :huh :confused:

Thanks guys.I guess I couldn't put stronger springs on the stock shocks or some other mod.?!?

u should have read your manual dude, it says never to go from 5 to 1 or 1 to 5 directly because there is so much tension on that sping it will break that little ring thing, then youll be in a world of $hit. :( and u never answered my question either - they shouldnt be bottoming if u are jumping jumps right and not landing awkward or coming up short, what are u jumping [or not]:( - u shouldnt need new shocks if u just take the time to tightin up your spring, and no, there is no springs u can buy, except just the same factory springs from honda, but i doubt there that worn out, unless u weigh alot, but still, even if u do, ull have to be casing triples every day to were them out that much, just tightin them up bro. or if u just cant STAND to tighting them up, and only buy a spring..i would just buy some cheap Works shocks, there a good jump from stock ones, u could get some for about 500 with reezies, soooo.. good luck :)

03-13-2004, 06:53 PM
not once have I ever bottomed out my stock shocks when i had them....you must be hitting some big stuff & landing wrong...you should maybe think about getting some cheap works shocks...they are a big improvement, especially if you have them set up for what you will be doing.

crap-banshee32
03-13-2004, 07:21 PM
hmm...u never bottomed stock shocks......

maybe u werent riding hard enough!!!

DangerousDean
03-13-2004, 07:32 PM
just use a pipewrench to adjust the preload.

KY Woods Rider
03-13-2004, 07:44 PM
they shouldnt be bottoming if u are jumping jumps right and not landing awkward or coming up short, what are u jumping [or not]:( - u shouldnt need new shocks if u just take the time to tightin up your spring

Huh?? :huh. Maybe I'm going faster than I should be, but I can bottom stock 400EX fronts just by hitting some decent sized braking bumps when going into a corner:huh. I've also bottomed them when hitting a steep take-off ramp a little too aggressively. I agree that on a jump with a nice landing ramp they shouldn't bottom if you land it perfectly, but heck, if you could land it perfect every time, then you wouldn't even need suspension (if you doubt this just look at BMX riders). However, any type of bumps with sharp edges, single jumps with flat ground landings, or any type of goof up when jumping can easily result in bottoming the stock front shocks.

As for stiffening them up, yes they will get stiffer if you turn them up to notch 5. However, the bad news is that it doesn't make a drastic difference no matter what notch you set them on. If you can bottom them on notch 1, then you can probably bottom them on notch 5 with just a little more effort. Even if it helps at first, as soon as you realize they're not bottoming you'll start hitting the jumps and bumps more aggressively and they'll start doing the same thing all over again. If they're bottoming hard enough and often enough to be serious problem, then your best bet is to buy some good aftermarket shocks that are set up for you.

As for the 5-1 and 1-5 issue. I'll admit that I didn't read every single word in the manual, but I don't recall seeing anything about this. Anyway, I seriously doubt anyone with half a brain will ever try going from 1 back to 5, because you'd have to remove some pressure from the spring or you simply wouldn't be able to do it. As for going from 5 down to 1, I don't see how it could cause a problem and I've done it several times myself when switching back and forth between MX and the woods, but of course I always have my quad off the ground when doing the adjustment so the weight of the quad is not on the springs. Even with the weight of the quad on the springs, I just don't see how the spring and collar dropping down to notch 1 would damage anything, because there's many times more pressure on those springs and collars while riding.

ghak99
03-13-2004, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by Jumbo747
not once have I ever bottomed out my stock shocks when i had them....you must be hitting some big stuff & landing wrong...you should maybe think about getting some cheap works shocks...they are a big improvement, especially if you have them set up for what you will be doing.

Do you race MX???? If you are running balls to the wall, then you should be blowing stock shocks out left and right. stock shocks are not near good enough for mx.

AAAirbooorn
03-14-2004, 06:07 AM
OKAY!! Someones on my side for a change. I was getting beat to a pulp there for a minute.:eek2:

Sure, I'll admit I may need some improvement in the jumping dept.,okay alot. But Ive heard alot on this site about stock shocks bottoming out.And it aint too difficult to do unless you are JUMBO 747. I only weigh 160lbs and the 400ex aint no lightweight.

DOES ANYONE MAKE AFTERMARKET SPRINGS FOR STOCK 400EX SHOCKS ???

:huh

muff
03-14-2004, 08:30 AM
sorry Jim but the only thing you can do to fix the 400ex front shocks is buy new ones :( they're not rebuilding, and I have never heard of a stronger spring before. Even if there was a stronger spring I wouldnt recommend it, yea it might take out the hard landings and big bumps, but you'll feel every little bit of the small bumps and what not.

and if you have never bottomed your 400ex shocks you definetly dont know how to ride :huh :macho

thomez
03-14-2004, 11:12 AM
Look for some Ohlins shocks from a Cannondale Cannibal or Speed - you can get them for $200 or less and it will be a big improvement from stock without the big pricetag. I know of a set you can get for $200 I think. Holler if you want the contact info.

KASCHAK
03-14-2004, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by Jumbo747

lmao... yous are making the stock shocks seem like the the world.. stock front shocks are junk.. i bottemed mine out every day. i weigh 150 and i use them shocks.. i don't case any jumps there just junk. if your bottoming out take them off and buy a cheap set of works.

enough said

KASCHAK
03-14-2004, 11:57 AM
OKAY!! Someones on my side for a change. I was getting beat to a pulp there for a minute.:eek2:

Sure, I'll admit I may need some improvement in the jumping dept.,okay alot. But Ive heard alot on this site about stock shocks bottoming out.And it aint too difficult to do unless you are JUMBO 747. I only weigh 160lbs and the 400ex aint no lightweight.

DOES ANYONE MAKE AFTERMARKET SPRINGS FOR STOCK 400EX SHOCKS ???

:huh

lmao.. there isnt enogh gas and oil inside of them shocks to handle a better spring.. plus what you would pay to have one put on if you dont know how to yourself and the cost of the spring.. there still stock shocks with better springs.. and your statement about, "the 400ex aint no lightweight" um... what have you ridden that weights less then a 400ex? that has more power? deffitly not a raptor, warrior, blaster, or 300ex. a 400ex is one of the lightest quads out on the market.. maybe you were riding a little 50 or something

duncanracing400
03-14-2004, 12:26 PM
no, there is no springs u can buy, except just the same factory springs from honda, but i doubt there that worn out, unless u weigh alot, but still, even if u do, ull have to be casing triples every day to were them out that much, just tightin them up bro. or if u just cant STAND to tighting them up, and only buy a spring..i would just buy some cheap Works shocks, there a good jump from stock ones, u could get some for about 500 with reezies, soooo.. good luck :)

do u not listin to me? do i just take the time to help u and u just ignore me, and every 1 else..... jeez...

muff
03-14-2004, 06:03 PM
do u not listin to me? do i just take the time to help u and u just ignore me, and every 1 else..... jeez...

:huh :huh

as for the 400ex being one of the lightest quads I would have to disagree, yes it is lighter when compared to most, but the dale, 250r, yfz, and now the trx (i believe) all have it beat

AAAirbooorn
03-15-2004, 02:31 PM

Sorry dude, my bad.

Good, I don't have to mess with stock shocks. I'll just wait till I get new arms & shocks.

Cody_300ex
03-15-2004, 03:02 PM
Just tightin up the ring thingy at the bottom it helped a ton on my stock 300 shocks!

AAAirbooorn
03-15-2004, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by muff
:huh :huh

as for the 400ex being one of the lightest quads I would have to disagree, yes it is lighter when compared to most, but the dale, 250r, yfz, and now the trx (i believe) all have it beat

How do you like that new motor? Jason, right?

Tom

muff
03-15-2004, 05:56 PM
How do you like that new motor? Jason, right?

Tom

justin :p its cool tho i get called jason sometimes

I havent ridden it yet, but it will definetly be ready by southwick, in a week and a half it should be completed, I have practically everything but my frame and swingarm (powdercoatin from pappy) you gonna be at southwick? racin?

AAAirbooorn
03-15-2004, 06:07 PM
Nah, I ain't happy about it but I think it's gonna be another year for me cause I gotta get more equipment for the quad and for me. I need some +3+1 arms and shocks to start with...... I'll be putting the new Klaws this week and am excited to see how the lower ride is gonna be.

muff
03-15-2004, 06:15 PM
you should race a few novice races and get some practice in, that way when you do decide to race the full season you'll be ready to go and what to expect

AAAirbooorn
03-15-2004, 06:24 PM
That sounds like a good idea, thanks.

muff
03-15-2004, 06:28 PM
you'd be surprised how good a stock quad can do in the novice class, the suspension will make a huge difference to you, but it takes a good rider to take home the trophy, and that all comes with experience

duncanracing400
03-16-2004, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by KY Woods Rider

As for the 5-1 and 1-5 issue. I'll admit that I didn't read every single word in the manual, but I don't recall seeing anything about this. Anyway, I seriously doubt anyone with half a brain will ever try going from 1 back to 5, because you'd have to remove some pressure from the spring or you simply wouldn't be able to do it. As for going from 5 down to 1, I don't see how it could cause a problem and I've done it several times myself when switching back and forth between MX and the woods, but of course I always have my quad off the ground when doing the adjustment so the weight of the quad is not on the springs. Even with the weight of the quad on the springs, I just don't see how the spring and collar dropping down to notch 1 would damage anything, because there's many times more pressure on those springs and collars while riding.

hmmm sounds like your not reading ur manual, or not even reading at all...pages 109 through114...and it says not to go from 1-5 or 5-1 on 111.... jesus, u just made your self look kinda dumb...lol..:(

muff
03-16-2004, 08:22 PM
hmmm sounds like your not reading ur manual, or not even reading at all...pages 109 through114...and it says not to go from 1-5 or 5-1 on 111.... jesus, u just made your self look kinda dumb...lol..:(

practically none of us need to even bother reading this because we know how to ride and can bottom the stock shocks like nothin you either 1. weigh under 75lbs or 2. lost your shifter and are stuck in first gear

just because someone didnt memorize every bit of the stinkin stock manual doesnt mean chit, i'll admit i didnt know about the geigh turning rule, but I can rip my 400ex and the motor apart like its a piece of cake...whoop de doo, have you even ridden a set of aftermarket shocks setup close to your weight?

duncanracing400
03-16-2004, 09:18 PM
thats not the point, the point is he said he read it, and he didnt c anything about it, im saying that hes wrong, not u

KY Woods Rider
03-17-2004, 07:36 AM
hmmm sounds like your not reading ur manual, or not even reading at all...pages 109 through114...and it says not to go from 1-5 or 5-1 on 111.... jesus, u just made your self look kinda dumb...lol..

And this is supposed to be in the manual that comes with the 400EX???:huh. I just had to look in my manual out of curiosity, and there is absolutely nothing about the 1-5 or 5-1 issue on the front shocks. Pages 109-114 in my manual discuss the battery, battery removal, fuse, and fuse replacement:huh. Specifically, page 111 is the page about battery removal. Of course my 400EX was bought in late 1998, just as soon as I could find a dealer that had one, so maybe they've changed the manuals since then.

The only thing my manual says about the front shocks is on page 25. It says...

The front shock absorbers have five adjustment positions for different rider weights and riding conditions.
Position 1 and 2 are for light weight and smoooth ground conditions. Positions 2 to 5 progressively increase spring tension for a stiffer suspension. Be certain to adjust each shock absorber to the same position.
Standard Position: 4

I even looked in my service manual, and it does not say anything about adjusting the shocks from 1-5 or 5-1. However, I also bought the service manual just as soon as I could get one. I don't remember the exact date that I got the service manual, but it was either late '98 or very early '99.

thats not the point, the point is he said he read it, and he didnt c anything about it, im saying that hes wrong, not u

Actually, I didn't say it in that manner. The way you phrased it sounds like I said that I had read it all and it wasn't in there. What I said was "I'll admit that I didn't read every single word in the manual, but I don't recall seeing anything about this." That means just what it sounds like, I didn't read everything in the manual, but I didn't remember seeing anything about the 1-5 or 5-1. Although I do flip through the manual and read a few things, I generally don't pay much attention to anything except the fuel and oil recommendations, as well as the chain, clutch, and throttle freeplay measurements. Maybe I should be reading the whole manual, but at the time I bought my EX in late '98, I had already been riding quads for 11yrs, so I really didn't think I needed to read about how to ride or how to do routine maintenance.

Now, at this point in time I am saying that I read the manual and it isn't in there. Maybe it's in your manual, but I can assure you that it isn't in mine.

As for me looking dumb, well, I've been there and done that a few times in my life already, so it really doesn't bother me:D.

AAAirbooorn
03-17-2004, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by muff
you'd be surprised how good a stock quad can do in the novice class, the suspension will make a huge difference to you, but it takes a good rider to take home the trophy, and that all comes with experience

Well, I aint gonna expect no miracles from myself,I'm just looking to gain some experience and put some races under my belt.

As long as I'm having fun, I know I'm doing all right.

Juggalo
03-17-2004, 10:48 PM
the manual also says not to jump or do wheelies... aaaairborn looks like you haven't been following your manuals instructions either. gimmie a break guys who cares what the manual says. i highly highly doubt changin the shocks from 1 to 5 is gonna break em. in fact i've done it tons of times and they were still fine until the day i swapped em out for works.

jonc623
03-18-2004, 09:07 AM
i dont know about anyone else hee but i usually take the stock owners manual and throw it into a drawer almost everything to be work on they want you to take it to a shop and i do all my own work