PDA

View Full Version : Installed PRM skid plates today

04trx450R
03-12-2004, 02:58 PM
Well, I like the chassis skid, I got the .190 one, it fits good and installed fairly easily, although a couple of the supplied bolts were to short so I used my own, also, I am going to make some spacers for where it mouns in the back, as the 2 bolts that go in the stock location should be shoulder bolts. The a-arm skids I am not so happy with, they were easy to install but they could fit a little better, there is a large gap on the outside due to the bend in the plate to fit under the steering knuckle.... all in all though, money well spent, deffinantly the protection I need for the woods. I'll try and get some pics later....

04trx450R
03-12-2004, 02:59 PM
Also, I did have to grind down the stock bumper for clearance issues with the chassis skid....

Honda
03-12-2004, 03:35 PM
I have the DG Fat Series. It is a great skid, only thing I don't like is it does not cover the lower A-arm mounts. I will probably make a plate to cover that area, then weld it on for more protection.

It has wings for extra protection! LOL!

Skid Plate weighed 5 lbs 12 ounces. With all the mounting hardware. LOL!

I'm kinda crazy like that. :rolleyes:

aces high33
03-12-2004, 03:43 PM
I have the PRM swing skid on order. Anyone try that?

kwatts400
03-12-2004, 03:45 PM
I've got an armadillo full body skidplate on the way, they seem to make some pretty tough skids. I'll let you know what I think of it when it arrives.

300exHILLER
03-12-2004, 04:08 PM
i just got my prm swing-arm skid in today from C&D I'll be installing tomorrow I'll let you know

04trx450R
03-12-2004, 04:57 PM
Let us know if the ground clearance is better or worse with the PRM swingarm skid versus stock,

everest21
03-12-2004, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by 04trx450R
Let us know if the ground clearance is better or worse with the PRM swingarm skid versus stock,

Good question, curious about this as well.

stabbincabin
03-13-2004, 07:22 AM
I installed my prm skid plad and a-arm guards on mine last night they are .125 and they fit well,i also had a problem w/the front going under the bumper but i found if you leave all the bolts loose and pull out where the bend is(about 1/4 of the back from front) i was able to slide the front of the skid plate under the bumper w/out any modifications. the a-arms guards fit good.total install only took about 20 minutes. also here is a thought about the rear skid plate,last year we went to hatfield and mccoy and a friend of mine hit a rock w/his skid plate and bent it into the sprocket! we spend about 30 minutes trying to get it bent back so he could ride! it really sucked because we had no tools,he had a dg skid plate which i would not recommend for even for people who don't ride hondas! anyway if he had has a plasctic skid he probably wouldn't have missed a beat,plastic will flex and return back into shape,aluminum will not!,i would not use any skid that is under 1/4" thick!

aces high33
03-13-2004, 08:36 AM
You're right. I am going with prm1/4" for swing and chassis by AC-that isn't 1/4" though.

stabbincabin
03-13-2004, 11:48 AM
as far as the 1/4" i was refering to the rear swing arm skid,i think .125 is fine for the rest unless you're really doing some heavy trail/rock riding:

300exHILLER
03-15-2004, 04:27 PM
I put it on but I also put on 22" razor 2's so I didn't hit one rock. where on the same trail I would be hitting rocks all day.

gncc571
03-16-2004, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by stabbincabin
I installed my prm skid plad and a-arm guards on mine last night they are .125 and they fit well,i also had a problem w/the front going under the bumper but i found if you leave all the bolts loose and pull out where the bend is(about 1/4 of the back from front) i was able to slide the front of the skid plate under the bumper w/out any modifications. the a-arms guards fit good.total install only took about 20 minutes. also here is a thought about the rear skid plate,last year we went to hatfield and mccoy and a friend of mine hit a rock w/his skid plate and bent it into the sprocket! we spend about 30 minutes trying to get it bent back so he could ride! it really sucked because we had no tools,he had a dg skid plate which i would not recommend for even for people who don't ride hondas! anyway if he had has a plasctic skid he probably wouldn't have missed a beat,plastic will flex and return back into shape,aluminum will not!,i would not use any skid that is under 1/4" thick!
my stock one is cracked after one GNCC (Ga.)I'm going with the PRM 1/4"

kwatts400
03-16-2004, 09:01 PM
I just put on my armadillo body skid. It went on pretty easy, and it looks great.

dn1911
03-17-2004, 06:11 PM
just installed my Pro-Tect swingarm skid. i think its 3/16 or maybe 1/4 but it is stainless steel man its stout can't wait till i get the rest