PDA

View Full Version : Painting my subframe HELP???

EXerHonda400
03-12-2004, 02:37 PM
I would like to paint my subframe cause it has taken some abuse and could use a little face lift. Any way I would like to know what type of paint I should use(BRAND AND KIND), like hi temp or what. It needs to be very durable and i would like to just use spray paint, cause i don't have enough money to buy a new paint gun for my air compressor. Also what kind of prep work should i do, should i strip the paint and then prime it or can i prime over the existing paint as long as it's clean. If i do need to strip it, how should i do it, use a grinder, sand it, or sand blast it or whatever. Any feedback would be appreciated.

hondaex03
03-12-2004, 02:48 PM
I painted the frame on my Warrior using Dupli-Color spray paint, primer and several coats of clear. It seems to be holding up good.

mustang93
03-13-2004, 06:07 PM
spray paint sucks, I use to use it get it powdercoated buy a cheap $50 spray gun and automotive paint or take it apart and get an estimate by macco any of those would be better spay paint = waist of time

Bubba
03-13-2004, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by mustang93
spray paint sucks, I use to use it get it powdercoated buy a cheap $50 spray gun and automotive paint or take it apart and get an estimate by macco any of those would be better spay paint = waist of time

you must have done something wrong witht he spraypaint:confused:
i painted my footpegs with dollar general paint and it only wore were the little teeth are (powdercoat would wear there too)
i painted my a arms with spray paint and they have NOT peeled or flaked.
the trick to pray paint is not to spray it real thick. take your time. Spray thin even coats. then spray a couple coats of clear.

RedEx XCRider
03-14-2004, 06:31 PM
I painted my Frame, aarms, swingarms on my ol 250X with blue spray paint from walmart.....i go to school witht he guy i sold it to...he says it stills looks Good ain't flaking or anything....Hold this helps O_o

TheFontMaster
03-14-2004, 08:00 PM
I spray painted and primered my bumper and grab bar and the paint is already totaly shot after only a couple months. Use automotive paint or powder coating.