PDA

View Full Version : stearing stem +1 or stock

WhiteBros400ex
03-12-2004, 12:53 PM
I was wondering what the best stem and hanlde bar set up for a 400ex is, i have heard get a +1 stem and cr high bend bars. What are you guys running or what do you think is the best set up thanks.

Pappy
03-12-2004, 12:55 PM
if you get an Anti-vibe stem its almost mandatory to order a +1 so there isnt any clearence issues with the plastic/gas tank and the lower portion of the antivibe.

WhiteBros400ex
03-12-2004, 01:04 PM
Thanks i was gonna get anit vibe from burgard.

y2k400ex
03-12-2004, 01:52 PM
I have a +1 +1 on mine, I like it allot it helps when you stand up though the woops

tstrenuous10
04-06-2004, 03:18 PM
ive been lookin for the anti vibe steering stems but cant seem to find them.....i mostly go throught Rocky Mountian ATV (dont think too many people here do) and a friend of mine has it on his. says it comes one inch higher then stock but i have herad they make one for pro taper type bars (1 1/8 bars) and stockers too. n e 1 got anti vibe with steering stabalizer? how you like it for whoops in dunes and tracks? i do a mix of riding....primarly trails and dunes but hit local riding tracks to kill some time.

y2k400ex
04-06-2004, 03:30 PM
in Rocky mountian all they have is the roll designs one that is $350...... C&D carries few differnt ones

i have a burgard +1 higher and +1 forward. ir real helps out in the whoops and when you stand up you back is straighter. I'm aslo 6'4''. For 1 1/8 in bars they have a differnt clamp for the antivibe.

I have a muscle damper , burgard anitvibe stem, and some Tag X5 in the stock 400ex bend right now and it works great:D I mostly ride xc and trails

andrew360
04-06-2004, 10:19 PM
I have a Roll Design stock length for sale; posted in classifieds

barry rhames
04-06-2004, 11:05 PM
I have a lone star +1 antivibe and i love it it gives you a sense of sitting behind the bars insted of over them. more like an rit also gives you more leverage for wheelies like in whoops and in my case there a little harder to fly over.:D the main differance is ther very hard to bend stock ones bend way to easy you can even straiten thm by hand and that scares the crap out of me. somthing has to give i know but i dont think that should be it

hondarider2006
04-07-2004, 12:22 AM
Originally posted by barry rhames
somthing has to give i know but i dont think that should be it

We its eaither that or the frames gonna crack:eek2: But you are still right, the stock stearing stem is a joke. My Renthal bars are still stright and my old stock stem bent like a twing twice. I only had the $ for a new stock one....but someday I will get a Burgard +1:D :cool:

Meek
04-07-2004, 04:14 AM
I am 5 11 and running a Houser Ani-Vib +1 with Pro Taper bars that are CR high bend, and a Denton dampner. I am verry happy with this setup. If money is an issue, just get a dampner. Even with a stock stem the dampner will make the best improvment.

y2k400ex
04-07-2004, 06:32 AM
even if you bend the stocker it only $45 from service honda :D

barry rhames
04-07-2004, 06:54 PM
yes but you might buy six if mine bends thats the least of my bills ill probably die hopfully a tie rod breaks or a spindle ive herd alot bad about 400 spindles but ive never had a problem yet has any of yall

barry rhames
04-07-2004, 07:00 PM
oh yea that dampner is alot of diffrence also its a must have in the woods its saved me a couple of broke wrists. and in my first reply i ment sits like an r sorry if i i wus reel litterate i problyied b on a smarter site

tstrenuous10
04-08-2004, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by Meek
I am 5 11 and running a Houser Ani-Vib +1 with Pro Taper bars that are CR high bend, and a Denton dampner. I am verry happy with this setup. If money is an issue, just get a dampner. Even with a stock stem the dampner will make the best improvment.

money isnt a big thing right now cuz im gettin ready for 2 jobs (hopefully) but your a little taller then me (im 5 8) and you got the setup my friend has. how much did your houser cost you?

also on another note ive seen steering stabilizers for 2 and 3 hundred bucks and am wondering if its just a waste if im getting the anti vibe with dampner. anyone who has one post your input up here.

Meek
04-08-2004, 10:27 PM
Here is a link to Houser
http://www.houser-racing.com/firsts.htm

chad cavagnaro
04-10-2004, 10:37 AM
i purchased my steering system from gpr, but you can look in rockymountianatv catalog, and probably many other places and get what is called a gpr package wich is a roll design steering stem; either stock or plus 1, and stage 2 gpr steering stab. wich comes with 1,7/8 bar mounts for 599.00 seperately it would be about 200. more. this is what i did for my yfz 450 and made the ergonomics much better! the stem is anti-vibe along with the mounts as well. my quads handling feels much smoother. i feel it was a great investment in my quad.

tstrenuous10
04-11-2004, 10:40 AM
1 78 inch bars? are those pro taper size? cuz ive seen a lot of sales for 1 1/8inch bars being called FAT bars and saying they are comparable to pro taper bars.

rocky mountian has a roll design stem and a gpr stabliizer for $350 (roll) and 200+(stabilizer)

tstrenuous10
04-11-2004, 10:48 AM
wow i just checked out the housier website (thanks for posting it) and what a difference. the stem and clamps are cheaper then the roll stem alone. i figure ill get the houser cuz why spend the monet if i dont have to.

o yeah......chad cavagnaro how do you like yoru stabalizer and what differences does it make? is it hard to dial in? where do you think it made the biggers difference? have you ever ridden your bike without it? did it come already assembled or was it hard to put on?

im just lookin for some infor because i dont want to spend the 200 it costs and then find out it barley makes a difference for trail and dune riding.

chad cavagnaro
04-13-2004, 11:39 AM
well, the bar mounts are11/8, not 17/8 like i said, sorry! but in rocky mount for 2004, the roll desn. stem sells for 350 seperately,
and the gpr stab. 329 sep. then the clamps for the stem are 81.00
for the yfz 450 anyway. the 2.0 gpr kit is 599. saves about 180

the yfz steering is too loose for my taste, stock that is. the gpr makes the quad feel much more controlled. especially in the woods, hitting rocks, roots, rutts, ect the combination of the antivibe stem and the stabilizer and pro-taper bars and spider grips did wonders in handling, for the woods.

as far as the dunes, well ive not ridden too many dunes and cannot comment on this, i feel it would help.

the thing about gpr, and why i paid extra for it is because it adjusts on the fly, right under the bars, a small knob that u turn while riding, see the picture in the catalogs or fing gpr website.
it came with gpr stab. already mounted to the stem. it has some easy instructions and all you have to do is mount the stem to the quad. its not too hard, just pay close atn. to how you take it apart, and just reverse it, take some notes down on a pad as you take it apart. a gpr is well worth the money, or one that adjusts on the fly that is simular.
to it.