PDA

View Full Version : burning oil

400exmom
03-12-2004, 05:02 AM
my 400ex is burning oil like a mofo~ before the race in GA. i changed my oil and oil filter~ got home washed it checked my oil~ nothing not even a drop~ ive noticed this a couple other times and thought maybe i didnt tighten down the oil pan bolt enough but the quad is definately burning the oil~ will a piston and ring job take care of this?? what do you think im lookin at $$ wise and time wise to get this fixed?? thanks in advance~kim

LTandRaptorider
03-12-2004, 06:04 AM
For it to be losing oil that quickly, it has to be a leak. Make sure the oil plug is tight, but you don't have to put all your strength in to tightening it. I'm not sure what the oil capacity is on the 400, the Raptor takes 2 quarts. Make sure you have enough oil in the engine. You'll have to fill the tank, run the engine a couple of minutes, then re-fill. I typically have to do this a couple of times to get the proper amount in. DO NOT run the engine if it's not showing anything on the dipstick... I don't think it's a valve or ring problem, do you have blue exhaust smoke? Good for a 2-stroke... bad for a 4-stroke! ;) So to summarize... check oil level, get a manual or maybe someone on here can tell you the oil capacity. Since you ran a race, wouldn't be a bad idea to change it again anyway. Drain oil, put proper amount back in, ride for a while, check level again. Check on floor under the quad for oil. Sell 400 and buy a 2001 Raptor! :D

400exmom
03-12-2004, 06:16 AM
in GA i got a lil stuck in a rut pin it and looked behind me to see if i was getting anwhere and i saw white smoke pouring out~ ive looked everywhere for leaks i put the EXACT amount my manual calls for but im losing oil like a mofo still~ thanks for the advice but ive tried it i dont know WTF is goin on

rapter might be a good idea for me...........:rolleyes:

:blah:

LTandRaptorider
03-12-2004, 06:49 AM
Originally posted by 400exmom
in GA i got a lil stuck in a rut pin it and looked behind me to see if i was getting anwhere and i saw white smoke pouring out~ ive looked everywhere for leaks i put the EXACT amount my manual calls for but im losing oil like a mofo still~ thanks for the advice but ive tried it i dont know WTF is goin on

rapter might be a good idea for me...........:rolleyes:

:blah:

Hmmm... if there aren't any leaks, then it has to be going out the pipe... I just can't imagine it would be burning oil that much all of a sudden. Rings and gaskets prob run about $50-60... not too bad of a job...

The 400 definitely handles better than the rappy, although since I widened it, it handles much better. It still feels too damn tall, especially since I'm used to the LT. Maybe I'll rent my quads out, since I haven't been able to ride them for a while! Hopefully that will soon change... soon as I fix the tranny on the LT, and put rear axle bearings in the Raptor. This is a damn expensive hobby! :( Check on ebay for rings and gasket kits for the 400, there are some reputable people on there selling parts, check their feedback before buying! ;)

400exmom
03-12-2004, 06:53 AM
hmmm.. i dunno lt everyone ive told the oil prob. to says the same thing but no oil drips anywhere and i know im puttin enough in there~ thanks for your help!

Pappy
03-12-2004, 06:58 AM
it's deffinatley worth a look inside the engine:( id say do a 406 kit and you should be rockin:macho do you have some folks to help do it?

400exmom
03-12-2004, 07:02 AM
:D just me baby think you could walk me through it;) pappy do the sleeves come out of the engine case? with the 406 will i have to send it off to be bored? if i sound stupid its because im clueless:confused:

Pappy
03-12-2004, 07:11 AM
i will twist jeff and rowlrags arm and see if i cant get them to offer up some assistance for ya.

you maybe able to just do rings, but IMO why not do it right. have the cylinder bored, 406 kit is still stock sleeve just overbored. new piston and rings and you should be set. i dont know how much money you want or have to spend but it all should run under $300 with labor from the right people. if you can swing it, now would be time for a cam to liven her up also.

03-12-2004, 07:37 AM
Probably sucked in some crap to the motor and the cylinder is shot. As pappy mentioned a small bore on the cylinder, piston, rings, gaskets, etc would run ya about $200.

Does Danno know about these problems????:eek:

LTandRaptorider
03-12-2004, 07:53 AM
Originally posted by 400exmom
hmmm.. i dunno lt everyone ive told the oil prob. to says the same thing but no oil drips anywhere and i know im puttin enough in there~ thanks for your help!

Ha! what little help I was... :o

As rico said, you may need to bore to the next size. You'd need to remove the cylinder, order the next over size piston and rings, take the piston to the shop with the cylinder so they bore it correctly. Probably about $60 to bore it, about $80 for a wiseco piston and rings, you'll need a cylinder base gasket, and head gasket.

dirtmomma
03-12-2004, 09:03 AM
All I can say is YOU GO GIRL I'm glad there's another girl onhere that does her OWN work ;) :D I have faith in you !!!! I try to do all my work on my own too, the hubby is usually there though to answer ?? or guide me if I need it hahaha my son & I just put the whole back end of his blaster back together yesterday, well I should say he did most of it & I stood by & made sure he did stuff right he's gonna be a damn good mechanic in the future, hell he's only 13 & did it all by himself pretty much today will be the big test when he fires it & rides it:eek2: I have faith in him though!!

GOOD LUCK :D :macho

400exmom
03-12-2004, 09:34 AM
righty tighty lefty loose...right:confused:

:devil:

ILGNCC400EX
03-12-2004, 10:12 AM
let me look at it kim.it may be just a pluged vent hose.do it smoke like a mofo.i will look at the parts we got see if i can come up with somthing forya.danno

LTandRaptorider
03-12-2004, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by ILGNCC400EX
let me look at it kim.it may be just a pluged vent hose.do it smoke like a mofo.i will look at the parts we got see if i can come up with somthing forya.danno

surely you have an engine lying around that the boys didn't want?? :confused: :blah:

BTW... how are they at moving furniture? :eek: I'll pay in food and drink... and rides on the LT! I may have a couple of videos to get rid of, too... :eek2:

ILGNCC400EX
03-12-2004, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by LTandRaptorider
surely you have an engine lying around that the boys didn't want?? :confused: :blah:

BTW... how are they at moving furniture? :eek: I'll pay in food and drink... and rides on the LT! I may have a couple of videos to get rid of, too... :eek2: LMFAO well as a matter of fact i think we do have one

Doibugu2
03-12-2004, 10:33 AM
I believe I still have my stock piston if that helps in anyway.

If all you need is a new piston and rings, it should only be around $200.

125 for piston, 30 or gastet, 40 for bore.

Let me know if you need any help.