PDA

View Full Version : Yfz 450 Vs Banshee

CLIFFHANGER450
03-12-2004, 12:57 AM
Hi,
I was just wondering what is the best quad is out of a YFZ 450 and Banshee.sideways 450 my e-mail (taylorfrilled@hotmail.com)

Moto92
03-12-2004, 01:39 AM
well it for sure isnt a banshee

speeddemon105
03-12-2004, 05:44 AM
Well, unless you plan on drag racing, or you just want to spend a ton of money to get some hp and good suspension, then yeah the 450 will pretty much do everything better.

TGW_400ex
03-12-2004, 06:09 AM
Banshee:rolleyes:

i never thought i would see this question:eek2:

xr50layke
03-12-2004, 06:58 AM
the yfz can be used for a wide range of things, where as the shee is only best at 1 thing: drag racing

JLanphear
03-12-2004, 07:22 AM
The Banshee isn't an overly bad quad (and it's actually good on the trails), but I would have to say that the YFZ is better at about everything...never ridden one though.

Disaster
03-12-2004, 08:10 AM
YFZ is the better quad atleast what ive heard...

ledofthezep
03-12-2004, 08:46 AM
Stock vs. stock, I would have to say the YFZ....depending on the use that's intended. If I were to buy a stock bike today though, it would be a yfz. I still believe that the banshee has much more potential than the yfz does in stock trim. Nothin beats the screaming feel of a shee in the powerband!:devil:

Baley69
03-13-2004, 03:07 AM
Originally posted by ledofthezep
Stock vs. stock, I would have to say the YFZ....depending on the use that's intended. If I were to buy a stock bike today though, it would be a yfz. I still believe that the banshee has much more potential than the yfz does in stock trim. Nothin beats the screaming feel of a shee in the powerband!:devil:

Or rebuilding the heads every 10 hrs :D

400grl
03-13-2004, 07:00 PM
I have both - and I love both. The Banshee is alot more versatile than most people give it credit for - while I had mine I duned with it, drag raced, TT raced, trail rode and MX raced it - as a matter of fact I came in 4th in the GNC Women's B/C class up against a bunch of girls with fully modded YFZ's - the only thing not stock on my Shee is my Toomey's and my steering stem!

Now...the reason I got my YFZ is because the Banshee was a handful on the track - a fun handful, but still, in stock form, it just isn't a race quad!! I considered modding it for racing.....seriously considered it - you can't beat the powerband - it's a rocket. And once you learn how to use that power - it's horribly addicting. Nothing feels like a Banshee..........but......I am more comfortable racing 4-strokes, and the YFZ was calling my name!!

Anyway - please don't pigeonhole the Shee - it's a fun, VERY dependable, very unique quad!!! I think everyone should own one at least once in their life! :) :D

WickedWhite450
03-14-2004, 04:28 PM
Defenetly the YFZ. The banshee is used basically for one specific thing. Drag Racing. I'd go with the YFZ:p

Woody_YFZ
03-18-2004, 12:12 AM
A Banshee in my experience is a lot more work to mx than a YFZ and most everything else. The YFZ is definitely my top choice.

2004lebanshee
03-19-2004, 05:43 PM
After owning a banshee and rideing a yfz numerous times. I would say that unless you plan on MX'ing get a banshee. Look at it this way. The banshee power is way more fun then a yfz. The only advantage I like on the yfz is the handeling is better. However my banshee handles good in the trails and is a blast to drive there. The YFZ may be able to go a little faster in the trail because of the handling but nobody times people in the trails anywhay's. So who cares. Nothing beats throwing a roost when comeing out of a turn playing around in the trails.

For MOST people the only time where speeds are compared is in a occasional drag aggenst friends. MOST people DONT MX. And my modded shee smokes those yfz's. So if you look at the uses of it for the majority of riders the only thing that a time matters is in a drag. So the shee has that plus it's more fun to drive. GO SHEE! When it all comes down to it a YFZ is just a great handleing 4 stroke. IF you want you adreneline pumping get a shee!

RaptorRacrr04
03-26-2004, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by Baley69

who lied to you:confused:my uncle used to have a shee, had it for 5 months and rode the balls out of it..never had to rebuild anything and still had the power it had when he rolled it off the showroom floor

400ex4ever
03-27-2004, 06:35 AM
I ould have to agree with almost everyone. The YFZ would be my choice (if I didn't have a 450R).

It really depends on the type of riding you are going to do? If you ride a lot of dunes, hands down the Banshee is the best. But if you ride a wide variety of places the YFZ would suit you best.

I think as long as you have something, whether it be a YFZ or shee, just ride.

Remember this phrase "There will always be someone faster, unless you got a really deep wallet"

LostCause439
03-28-2004, 05:11 PM
Banshee is a great quad but the YFZ has the edge when it comes to all around, I raced a bored out banshee with the usally toomeys and all that other good **** with my Y today and we were dead even, i had him a lil in the mid but dead even at the end, Id be happy with either

bansheeke
03-28-2004, 05:44 PM
anyone who says a banshee is a good trail bike..is lying to themselves. Just because it can be used as one, doesn't make it a good one. a yfz will put a hurtin on a banshee in the woods all day. mx track too.sand the yfz will hang but there is so much more out there mod wise for the shee. IMO i would go with the yfz..the new technology is defnitely a plus. And the aftermarket is booming for them. Get what YOU want. Wide variety i would say go with a yfz, if you only want to go fast in sand and you want aftermarket NOW, go with a shee

speedy400
03-28-2004, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by bansheeke
anyone who says a banshee is a good trail bike..is lying to themselves. Just because it can be used as one, doesn't make it a good one. a yfz will put a hurtin on a banshee in the woods all day.

Do you have a shee? If you do...you need to learn how to ride:p I can spank 400ex's, 416's, and a yfz in the trail with my shee...it's all about knowing how to ride the machine to it's max;)

bansheeke
03-29-2004, 06:53 AM
I understand that..i would expect a comment like that regardless of truth. A banshee is not a good trail machine bottom line. If you can spank all those people on the trails..either you are on wide open trails or against some sorry riders. you can ride your banshee on trails, but stock for stock on the trails..you better hope the guy on the yfz is a worse rider than you.

bansheeke
03-29-2004, 06:56 AM
and in case you missed it, I just sold the shee.

Toadz400
03-29-2004, 01:12 PM
and in case you missed it, I just sold the shee.

I think you made a mistake in selling that, you should've sold the 400ex instead. BTW - Speedy400's post was me.

bansheeke
03-29-2004, 02:22 PM
BTW - Speedy400's post was me.

you say that like i care

explain this to me..if the shee is better than the yfz than why are so many yfz's and r's out there in mx...how many shee's do you see? 1 out of 20 or so. hare scrambles/woods racing etc. pretty much the same. drag racing...probably 7 out of 10 quads is a banshee. you see what i'm gettin at..or maybe the rest of the riding/racing world is a ignorant as myself:rolleyes:

bansheeke
03-29-2004, 02:24 PM
and why are you selling your banshee? and keepin the 400?

ledofthezep
03-29-2004, 03:10 PM

That's bullchit right there. You either don't know how to take care of stuff or re-build a top-end for chit!:rolleyes: That statement doesn't make sense, if so then my banshee is one-of-a-kind! Hell, I've had my shee for over 5 years now,...stock topend! Still! Pulled the shee apart last night getting ready to powdercoat it & looked in the exhuast ports & under the head, and what do ya know...?? Everything is still tits.:macho Oh yeah...never heard of rebuilding a banshee 'head'.:confused: :rolleyes:

No offense, ignorance just ticks me off.:mad: ;) The yfz is a great quad, hell I'd love to have one myself. But I wouldn't go as far to say that a banshee isn't as good. Depends on what you're after in a quad really. Granted, the yfz is a better package stock spec wise...but it also wasn't developed in the 80's either. You have to acknowledge the banshee has been around since '87 & little has changed since. If I were to buy a quad today to race MX, I'd buy a yfz. If I wanted a quad to dune, or something I could build up over time, it'd be hands-down, a banshee. So take your pick,...apples or oranges.:D ;)

zephead400ex
03-29-2004, 03:33 PM
That's bullchit right there. You either don't know how to take care of stuff or re-build a top-end for chit!:rolleyes: That statement doesn't make sense, if so then my banshee is one-of-a-kind! Hell, I've had my shee for over 5 years now,...stock topend! Still! Pulled the shee apart last night getting ready to powdercoat it & looked in the exhuast ports & under the head, and what do ya know...?? Everything is still tits.:macho Oh yeah...never heard of rebuilding a banshee 'head'.:confused: :rolleyes:

No offense, ignorance just ticks me off.:mad: ;) The yfz is a great quad, hell I'd love to have one myself. But I wouldn't go as far to say that a banshee isn't as good. Depends on what you're after in a quad really. Granted, the yfz is a better package stock spec wise...but it also wasn't developed in the 80's either. You have to acknowledge the banshee has been around since '87 & little has changed since. If I were to buy a quad today to race MX, I'd buy a yfz. If I wanted a quad to dune, or something I could build up over time, it'd be hands-down, a banshee. So take your pick,...apples or oranges.:D ;)

Hey bansheeke, got any more ignorance to throw around after that post? Ledofthezep is 100% correct. He has rode the dog piss out of his Banshee (I have too:)) and has never once had a problem with the motor. I think YOU need to quit lying to YOURSELF. Stock form, obviously the YFZ is better b/c of the new technology put forth towards making the quad. That does not mean that the Banshee is a POS.

later

bansheeke
03-29-2004, 03:41 PM
no thanks, your throwing enough around to cover me.
i'm not saying that the shee isn't a good machine. I am saying that the banshee is good at what it does. it is not the ideal mx or woods quad. I had a banshee and i'm sure i'll buy another if the right deal comes up. I said NOTHING about reliabilty. the only thing i said was the new technology is a plus. I never had a problem with my shee that wasn't typical maintenance. I'm not saying the banshee isn't as good. It all depends on what you want it for. All around, i still say YFZ. they all have there plus sides

BigThumper33
03-30-2004, 12:54 PM
I'm amazed at how some of you still think a banshee handles decent. Its like riding a grocery cart. Its horrible.

Trail riding a shee is like trail riding a 125 mx dirtbike. Yeah sure I can do it all the time, but it doesn't mean its the best thing for the job.... :rolleyes:

TGW_400ex
03-30-2004, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by BigThumper33
I'm amazed at how some of you still think a banshee handles decent. Its like riding a grocery cart. Its horrible.

Trail riding a shee is like trail riding a 125 mx dirtbike. Yeah sure I can do it all the time, but it doesn't mean its the best thing for the job.... :rolleyes:

400grl
03-30-2004, 03:00 PM
There is a certain FUN FACTOR a Banshee has that no other quad out there has.......and I'm a girl, and I could throw that Banshee around a track STOCK pretty well....it's all in what you are used to and what you are looking for. I race the YFZ MX - no question - it's just got the MX ergonomics...but I'd take the Banshee on the trails over the YFZ anyday! :)

Bad Habit
03-30-2004, 04:20 PM
So take your pick,...apples or oranges.:D ;)

Actually, I'm a peach eater myself ;)

banshee364r
03-30-2004, 08:40 PM
heres the story a long long time ago back in 1987 yamaha blew the fricking doors off the atv world by realeasing the banshee and they sold and they have sold for every single year that they have been produced and guess what kids even with the release of the 400ex,raptor,yfz,450r you can still hardly find one sitting in a dealership for too long. now in 1999 Honda came out with 400ex and it was the greatest and ONLY new sport machine to come out in over a Decade!!! but who was still selling --Banshees Then in 2001 along comes the Raptor by far the Gutsiest move made by a manufacturer ever new frame,new motor,new suspension new everything and this was the biggest baddest thing to grace our mx tracks and trails everguess what were still selling like hotcakes --Banshees now last summer Yamaha responded with everything we *****ed about not having on a quad we wanted a newer generation of the 250r frame, we wanted the 400cc dirtbike motor, we wanted a race-suspension and we got it and what still sells like mad Banshees I am no way dissing any of the machines becuz I have rode them all and enjoy riding each of them IN THEIR RESPECTED ENVIRONMENTS

5valves
03-30-2004, 09:03 PM
Yea your right, we will see how they sell in 4 years.

86350x
03-31-2004, 03:37 AM

Lmao, The only thing I don't like about my shee is that it inhales gas.

I'll have a yfz to compliment the collection as soon as I find some room for it.

The answer is to buy both, ride whatever one you feel like riding. In some area's one will work better then the other.:D

2004lebanshee
03-31-2004, 05:16 AM
Originally posted by 5valves
Yea your right, we will see how they sell in 4 years.

Actually the real question is how will the YFZ450 sell in 17 years. Thats the real test. And will they stop selling because the goverment made them or because they arent wanted any more. Think about that

bansheeke
03-31-2004, 06:59 AM
They won' t stop selling them because people don't want them. Thats a guarantee. THe goverenment will stop it before that happens. I agree with what pretty much everyone has ended up saying. They are good quads, some are better in places. But it always comes down to what YOU like.

BigThumper33
03-31-2004, 12:35 PM
how was the raptor the gutiest move made by a manufactorer?

New frame, big deal....all quads get new frames?

New motor? umm...no its not. That motor was in production off another motorcycle before it got tucked into a raptor frame... Definately not the greatest thing to grace our mx tracks...lol :rolleyes:

TGW_400ex
03-31-2004, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by BigThumper33
how was the raptor the gutiest move made by a manufactorer?

New frame, big deal....all quads get new frames?

New motor? umm...no its not. That motor was in production off another motorcycle before it got tucked into a raptor frame... Definately not the greatest thing to grace our mx tracks...lol :rolleyes:

5valves
03-31-2004, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by 2004lebanshee
Actually the real question is how will the YFZ450 sell in 17 years. Thats the real test. And will they stop selling because the goverment made them or because they arent wanted any more. Think about that

Good one. :blah:
But look at the industry in the last 15 years. We could see more improvments in the next 5 than we have seen in the last 15.

BigThumper33
03-31-2004, 08:53 PM
Have have seen more improvements in the last few years than the previous 15!!

Chef
03-31-2004, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by Baley69

You have obviously never owned a Banshee, or even been around one...I have been riding my Shee HARD for 2 years and haven't had the motor apart once.

ledofthezep
04-02-2004, 10:45 AM
Actually, I'm a peach eater myself
http://www.kcisp.net/~bking/smilies/gay.gif

:blah: j/p:devil:

Toadz400
04-02-2004, 12:40 PM
you say that like i care

explain this to me..if the shee is better than the yfz than why are so many yfz's and r's out there in mx...how many shee's do you see? 1 out of 20 or so. hare scrambles/woods racing etc. pretty much the same. drag racing...probably 7 out of 10 quads is a banshee. you see what i'm gettin at..or maybe the rest of the riding/racing world is a ignorant as myself:rolleyes:

I don't care if you don't care, I was just stating that so in the future you won't have a negative attitude to Speedy400.

I never said the shee is better....I would take the YFZ450 over the Banshee on the track anyday, just because it's made for MX.

I don't even want to argue with you because it's going to turn into a huge flame contest...

TGW_400ex
04-03-2004, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by Toadz400
I don't care if you don't care, I was just stating that so in the future you won't have a negative attitude to Speedy400.

I never said the shee is better....I would take the YFZ450 over the Banshee on the track anyday, just because it's made for MX.

I don't even want to argue with you because it's going to turn into a huge flame contest...

Haha I bet when the Banshee came out back in the day everyone said this is going to be the best mx racing quad ever:p

flyin#5
04-03-2004, 06:41 PM
and why are you selling your banshee? and keepin the 400?

actually he is selling his 400ex and keeping the banshee. :)

bansheeguy77
04-04-2004, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by 400grl
There is a certain FUN FACTOR a Banshee has that no other quad out there has.......and I'm a girl, and I could throw that Banshee around a track STOCK pretty well....it's all in what you are used to and what you are looking for. I race the YFZ MX - no question - it's just got the MX ergonomics...but I'd take the Banshee on the trails over the YFZ anyday! :)

i agree with everything u said in this post and ur last...the banshee might not be the best handling or best trail quad but its so damn fun it makes u look past that and not really care about the flaws cause u love it so much. i raced every type of racing out there and beat my share of 250rs 400exs yfz and ive lost to some of those as well. but if you actually know how to ride the banshee (it will come in time) you will be just as fast as anyone out there. its not an mx machine u can definately feel the weight but the power is unbeatable. yea it also inhales gas thats the only thing i hated about mine...and ya cant beat the sound of a shee. but the best thing for you to do is ride both and see which u like better. the yfz will probably be more comfortable, smoother and feel like a racer...the shee u will just get a huge **** face grin :devil:

Toadz400
04-04-2004, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by bansheeguy77
i agree with everything u said in this post and ur last...the banshee might not be the best handling or best trail quad but its so damn fun it makes u look past that and not really care about the flaws cause u love it so much. i raced every type of racing out there and beat my share of 250rs 400exs yfz and ive lost to some of those as well. but if you actually know how to ride the banshee (it will come in time) you will be just as fast as anyone out there. its not an mx machine u can definately feel the weight but the power is unbeatable. yea it also inhales gas thats the only thing i hated about mine...and ya cant beat the sound of a shee. but the best thing for you to do is ride both and see which u like better. the yfz will probably be more comfortable, smoother and feel like a racer...the shee u will just get a huge **** face grin :devil:

Exactly! All I wanted to say was right there.

Everytime I ride the banshee, I come off with a huge grin on my face. Sure the YFZ made me drool when I rode it, and it felt like it had the most power out of anything I've ridden, but that was because I hadn't ridden my Banshee for 6 months. I hopped on my Banshee later on and knew that this power was for me:D . I can also beat a YFZ in a drag so that makes me happy too;)

bansheeke
04-04-2004, 05:41 PM
the yfz will probably be more comfortable, smoother and feel like a racer...the shee u will just get a huge **** face grin

you ever ridden a YFZ..comfort is not exactly top notch. IMO the banshee seat is the most comfy ever made. I love those things.

I have no reason to flame you. Its just your opinion and i have myne. When it gets down to it..i think everyone here agrees with eachother in one way or another. its all preference. I totally agree with the different kind of power. Every time i got off myne i had a huge **** eatin grin.