PDA

View Full Version : rear brakes not working!!

milanoredej
03-11-2004, 08:11 PM
My rear brakes all of a sudden aren't working for some reason. Is there anything I can check to see why? A friend of mine greased my bike the other day and I think he may have put grease in my brakes somehow Is there an easy way to fix this or can I just bleed the brakes..

Out_Sider
03-11-2004, 08:31 PM
do u have brake fluid in it:o

JDiablo
03-11-2004, 08:35 PM
you probably have air in the brake lines...what you want to do is...get a friend to help you it will make it much for easier,and after you get your friend..take the resierviour(sp) cap off and then on the rear caliper there is a black cover,take that off and it should reveal a screw...that is the bleeder vavle....unscrew that now have your friend there to adjust it,what you want to do now is pump the brake pedal a couple times....then tell your friend to close the valve...then pump it another couple of times...and while holding it down....tell him to open the valve cap back open...you will have to do this a couple times for it to bleed properly....and all while filling the resivour(Sp again) with dot 4 brake fluid.Just once you don't see any more air bubbles coming out of the vavle then you know you are good to go....if that isn't the problem then idk

03-11-2004, 09:56 PM
whatever you do dont use any dot 5 fluid...it enflames all the rubber in the whole brake sysytem & ruins it...I learned this the hard way $100 later for a new brake system

Chef
03-11-2004, 10:01 PM
He could have thought the bleeder valve was a grease zerk...it looks just like one.

LazeR
03-11-2004, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by Chef
He could have thought the bleeder valve was a grease zerk...it looks just like one.

Isn't the bleeder valve a little bigger? and would it accept grease ? **makes note to self** never let buddy grease my bike! lol

Aceman
03-11-2004, 10:43 PM
No, the bleeder screw won't take grease. If grease could go through the bleeder screw then obviously brake fluid would be coming back out of it. I would check your fluid, bleed the brakes if necessary and make sure your friend didn't smear any grease on your rotor for some reason. If you have to pump your brakes to get enough pedal for your brakes to work, you either need to bleed your brakes or replace the seals in your master cylinder/caliper. Thats assuming your brake lines have no leaks.

03-12-2004, 08:07 AM
KNowing what kind of quad or bike you have would be real helpfull:rolleyes:

dirtmomma
03-12-2004, 08:55 AM
Originally posted by LazeR
**makes note to self** never let buddy grease my bike! lol

Thats what I was thinkin, & I WOULDN'T have that same buddy help me bleed my brakes LMAO

300exrida it's reservoir;)

JDiablo
03-12-2004, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by dirtmomma
Thats what I was thinkin, & I WOULDN'T have that same buddy help me bleed my brakes LMAO

300exrida it's reservoir;)

ahh thank you...needed to know how to spell that:rolleyes: ;)

milanoredej
03-13-2004, 05:41 PM
Bled the brakes a few good times and that cured it. Thanks for the help guys.