PDA

View Full Version : Setting Toe For Woods Racing?

03-06-2002, 10:30 AM
I need some help on where the toe should be set at. I've heard a few different things but, I still have a problem with the front end wanting to wander back and forth at higher speeds. I run a pep steering dampner and razr tires. Could any body tell me what the toe should be? Do you set when it is on the ground or the front up in the air?Thanks for the help.

==============================================
2001 YELLOW 400EX RENTHAL BARS,PRO CIRCUIT T-4,WISECO10:1,RAZRS ALL THE WAY AROUND, K-N AND JET KIT 165 MAIN, 14 TOOTH SPROCKET,PRM BUMPERS , CUSTOM MADE STAINLESS SKID PLATE ,MAEIR BRUSHGUARDS, MSR RAPTOR CLUTCH LEVER,$REMEMBER DIRTS FOR RACING ASPHAULT FOR GETTIN THERE!!!$
2001 WESTERN NEW YORK 4 STROKE B HARESCRAMBLES CHAMP
:devil

Adams44
03-06-2002, 02:38 PM
I run 1/4" ot 1/8" toe in. I know there are woods racers out there running 3/4" in, but I have way to much bump steer with 3/4". The quad would wander all over the place in the bumps.
When setting toe, get the handlebars as straight as possible and use tie downs and tie both sides of the handle bars to your foot pegs. This was when making adjustments, everything is stable.
Set the quad on the ground and have someone sit on it who is about the same size. Adjust to 1/8 to 1/4".
P.S., make sure everything is staying tight and there is no play in the tie rod ends. If so, fix those first. I have even heard of people tying strigns around the axle, around the rear tires and up to the front to get alignment with the rear, but it is kinda hard to explain. I do this and measure to make sure both tires are pointing straight. Once they are straight, adjust both sides evenly when setting toe.

Good luck

JabberJaw
03-06-2002, 03:56 PM
I worry about my toes when I trail ride also. So I wear steel toed boots...no worries mate!

quadfamily
03-07-2002, 10:02 PM
The more toe-out you have the better it will turn. The reason for this is that when you are in a turn the inside wheel travels in a different radius then the outside wheel. Basically the inside wheel is turning on a smaller circle then the outside wheel. When you have toe-out the inside front wheel will help pull the vehicle around the corner better. The side effect is less high speed stability. It's only a slight difference in the high speed stability. I'm only talking a small amount of toe-out. Try it. If you don't like it you can always change it!

03-07-2002, 10:08 PM
Hey Jabber now try that TOES OUT.

Better get new boots :D

03-07-2002, 10:11 PM
Seriously you need to experiment a little to find what works best for your set up.

I have set up some 400's and even my warrior at 1/8-1/4 toe in, but have my 440 set to just under 1/8 out.

The slight toe out just seems to help out a little in the turns and also just fits this one better.

Adams44
03-07-2002, 10:14 PM
Quadfamily: I agree it will help you turn, but if you graze a tree in XC it will jerk the tires, break his wrist and send him flyin...if he is LUCKY. That's not cool! You don't want to do that.

quadfamily
03-07-2002, 10:38 PM
good point

03-08-2002, 10:34 AM
Yea but doing that with your toe in aint cool either:D