PDA

View Full Version : A-arms..what machinery does it talk to make them?

crap-banshee32
03-11-2004, 03:32 PM
i was just wondering how the tubing and stuff was bent....a hand bender or some sort of programable bender..

and help would be appriciated

i already have the welder and everything i would need to weld, i just wanted to know what stuff was used to bend them.

thanks
Nick

lil400exman
03-11-2004, 04:23 PM
it would take a welder a probably a computer bender for better reslults and a stronger gull-wing setup...........also a good jig:devil:

AAAirbooorn
03-11-2004, 05:50 PM
They'd probably have to be red hot while you were bending them to avoid crimping the steel.Yeah, a jig would work.

What kind of steel tubing are you using?

Bill Fuller
03-11-2004, 05:59 PM
They would not need to be red hot to bend and the only thing you need a jig for is quality control.I would reccommend 4130 Chromoly tubing and a hydrolic bender.The major aftermarket manufactures didn't just make one set and start selling them,it takes a whole bunch of misses before you get what your looking for.

crap-banshee32
03-11-2004, 06:26 PM
yeah...ive been playing around with that CAD program i have at school...designing my own style and everything.

i think im gunna save up and buy a nice bender. and c what i can do in the way of making custom a-arms.

Anyone know places that sell such benders?

thanks
nick

SnellCRP
03-11-2004, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by Bill Fuller
They would not need to be red hot to bend and the only thing you need a jig for is quality control.I would reccommend 4130 Chromoly tubing and a hydrolic bender.The major aftermarket manufactures didn't just make one set and start selling them,it takes a whole bunch of misses before you get what your looking for.

You are exactly correct. You will waste alot of money figuring out how to make them work or you could just copy somebody elses design like we all have seen many times:huh

crap-banshee32
03-11-2004, 07:19 PM
id come up with a design of my own....

im gunna start searching for materials tomorrow..

thanks for the help guys

Nick

Out_Sider
03-11-2004, 08:34 PM
when u get good....make a set of LongTravel +3 a arms for a 300ex/250x that use stock lenth 400ex shocks!!! ;) i would be first in line to buy them

Out_Sider
03-11-2004, 08:36 PM
o, and u can make aluminum airboxes, and stuff...even axles if u wanted to!! hell..if u did make all those....you'd have a happy buyer right here ;) :D

PhilMoore
03-13-2004, 06:46 AM
I believe you need to fill the tubing with a special sand for bending.

At least that I what I have heard from Airplane builders, but they use aluminum.

nacs400ex
03-13-2004, 08:09 AM
Originally posted by Out_Sider
when u get good....make a set of LongTravel +3 a arms for a 300ex/250x that use stock lenth 400ex shocks!!! ;) i would be first in line to buy them

If it used stock length 400ex shocks, it would not be long travel. Whats up with all these kids hooked on the 400ex front end.

dirtmomma
03-13-2004, 08:16 AM
Originally posted by Bill Fuller

YEP pretty much what he said :) we used an electric/hydrohlic bender & my welder had done a few sets before & built many sand rails/buggies so he had practice LOL he didn't usea jig for mine but was wanting to make one. I'm hoping he'll do our blaster ones pretty soon!! Good luck!!

ZSK
03-13-2004, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by nacs400ex
If it used stock length 400ex shocks, it would not be long travel. Whats up with all these kids hooked on the 400ex front end.

The 400 front end is an easy way to get +2 without spending the extra money. I did it and am happy but I realize it's not the best way to do it. 400ex shocks are longtravel for a 300ex. 13" compared to 16" is the same compared to 16" VS. 19"

wilkin250r
03-14-2004, 12:09 AM
Originally posted by nacs400ex

Well, it WOULD be long travel for the 300ex.

crap-banshee32
03-14-2004, 08:42 AM
you should get long travel a-arms for the 300ex and get that shock mount thing that raises the top up, then run ling travel 400ex shocks:) that would be the best:blah:

RobRacing
03-14-2004, 07:10 PM
You can't neccasarly just bend tubing and weld a couple joints and have an a-arm. There is a lot of math that needs to be figured out before you can build them. For instance the angle needed at the ball joint to have the spindle set the right way, shock mount locations and so on and so forth. Also you need to know how to weld real well to get good penetration so your welds don't break. I might be making some of my own also. I am going to start with cheap steal and build many prototypes and do a lot of testing before I start racing with a set of my own. Thats my 2 cents.

dirtmomma
03-14-2004, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by RobRacing
You can't neccasarly just bend tubing and weld a couple joints and have an a-arm. There is a lot of math that needs to be figured out before you can build them. For instance the angle needed at the ball joint to have the spindle set the right way, shock mount locations and so on and so forth. Also you need to know how to weld real well to get good penetration so your welds don't break. I might be making some of my own also. I am going to start with cheap steal and build many prototypes and do a lot of testing before I start racing with a set of my own. Thats my 2 cents.

YES & thats a good .02 worth ;) my fabricator did alot of measuring & ect to get them the right geometry!!