PDA

View Full Version : Lt 80 clutch

'03'300ex'er
03-11-2004, 02:35 PM
can anyone help? info on new clutches for an 80? also are they in the right side of the cases, i aint worked on this machine before so i was just wondering. you guys that have them is it normal for them to rev way up before they slowly take off? its all stock and the engine has just been rebuilt. any pic's of clutch would be great. THANKS

ss440ex
03-11-2004, 11:25 PM
The clutches on the lt80 are on the r/h side of quad.
It sounds like your rollers in the front variator need replaced.
Not a bad job just a lota time.
Also clean out clutch belt area with carb cleaner,remove belt dust.
There are six rollers.
Hope this helped.

ss440ex
03-11-2004, 11:28 PM
Sorry the clutches are on the LEFT side.
Big long metal cover.

400exdad
03-12-2004, 07:24 AM
The rollers get gummed up (and worn too) after awhile and they need to be serviced with anti-seize... messy. SS is right, they are on the left side of the motor. When Madmatt300 was on it, and it was ridden hard, I had to do it once a year or so. There is really no big deal about working on this side of the motor, just disconnect and plug the oil lines to remove the cover completely; as the oil pump is on this side. Its been awhile since I worked on this motor since my 6 year old is putting around on it now... :) But, I think you'll need an impact to remove and install the clutch nut. The seal will probably be okay to re-use. There are lots of tricks to do to this motor and clutch as your kid gets more advanced.... I wish I had all the e-mails still detailing them. Oh yeah, you can prolly re-use the gasket, but if its bad, replace it. The belt hates water! :devil:

'03'300ex'er
03-12-2004, 07:45 AM
does this thing have clutch springs ? my little girl rides it pretty hard when she rides but we dont race or nuthin just play around but she wants more take off power.

400exdad
03-12-2004, 09:35 AM
Unfortunately, nobody makes springs for this quad. :( Unless its in the last 2 years. Here is how it works: The front clutch and rear clutch both control "shifting". As speed increases, the front clutch gets bigger and the rear clutch gets smaller. Also in the rear clutch are the clutch shoes. This is where the springs (which nobody makes) are. There are 3 shoes. The weight of these shoes can be reduced to make the engagement time higher up in the RPM range. Some guys take off a lot.... too much if you ask me, (I'm conservative) but if you have full race motor (high rpm) and drag race, its prolly good to go light. By shaving weight (they are like lead) from the tail of each shoe, you can make the LT come alive pretty good, even with a stock motor. You'll need a fairly accurate gram scale (postal) to do this and a heavy file.... a grinding wheel gets clogged. The front clutch, which really controls shifting can be changed too. Some guys have different weight rollers and some just remove and install the stock ones until they get the shifting where they want it to be. I am running 4, but if I had a stock motor, I would run all six. I tried 3, but the motor didn't RPM enough and the tranny stayed in "low gear".

I think I may have some more info in a folder at work... As far as, weights...... There are other tricks for this little quad! I'll put ours against any of the other brands in the woods! Anybody can go fast in the open... its obstacles and terrain that proves the performance of a quad and rider! :D :D

'03'300ex'er
03-12-2004, 10:19 AM
thanks for the info, i finally got the side case off that was a ..... anyway if you do have any more info i would really like to know anything anyone might have

'03'300ex'er
03-12-2004, 08:11 PM
? what kind of oil in the case where rear clutch is? i just found the drain plug and the oil has alot of water in it! im going to clean all parts in it up but i need to know what kind or type of oil it uses? THANKS ahead

400exdad
03-12-2004, 08:24 PM
No oil in the clutch area.... it should be nice and dry. It sounds like the gasket is leaking already or the little LT has been submerged before. I think we're getting to the problem here... :) a slipping belt! You may want to get a new belt while you're in there.., but mine is still original equipment.. anyway, the clutch is air cooled by the hoses that come into it. You'll find quite a bit of dust and prolly some sand in there... the dust is what gums up the rollers. :grr: The only oil in the motor is in the gear box. See the fill screw (bolt) on the top of the case right behind the cylinder? You fill it until the oil weeps though the check screw (bolt) on the right side of the motor. The drain is directly underneath the gearbox... I think all 3 holes "kind of line up" from top to bottom.

'03'300ex'er
03-12-2004, 08:34 PM
let me try to clear this up. the milky looking oil is in the case next to the rear clutch. the little case the gears are in that run the front sprocket, not on the belt. i dont know maybe the oil is the same as in the bottom end of motor but i didnt think so. there was only about a half a pint that drained out. what oil do you put back in? also what oil goes in the bottom end of motor?

400exdad
03-13-2004, 04:27 PM
OK, I think I see what you are saying ... where the gears are... you use motor oil like you do your gearbox on your 300. There is no oil in the crankcase of the 80... it gets all of its lubrication from the oil injection or premix. Just like a chainsaw. Where the belt is, it should be nice and dry.

'03'300ex'er
03-13-2004, 07:41 PM
ya thats what i was needin to know, thanks so much

phatlt250r
04-22-2004, 08:18 AM
Ok this might be to late here is an artical on the clutch that should help: http://www.off-road.com/atv/kidskorner/clutching1.html
I believe on the third page it has a hyperlink on clutch which blows up the clutch diagram. Worth keeping.:macho

dirtmomma
04-22-2004, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by phatlt250r
Ok this might be to late here is an artical on the clutch that should help: http://www.off-road.com/atv/kidskorner/clutching1.html
I believe on the third page it has a hyperlink on clutch which blows up the clutch diagram. Worth keeping.:macho

Thanks for the helpful info!! I think everyone should have that saved in thier favorites ;) we haven't had problems w/ our LT or our LEM yet but my son just replaced the clutch int he TRX90. BUT my brother was just asking me to keep an eye open for a clutch for his daughters LEM maybe I'll have to send him a link to that.

'03'300ex'er
04-22-2004, 08:16 PM
thanks for all the info it is usefull and much needed. THANKS again:)