PDA

View Full Version : 250X Nail brakes and quad dies

EXDuner
03-11-2004, 12:50 PM
When I nail the brakes on my 250X it will start to idle real low and after a couple of seconds it dies. I will wait a few seconds then start it up and it runs fine again and idles good. Any ideas? This quad sat for a real long time before I bought it two weeks ago. Maybe the floats are sticking? I was thinking something with the carb needs cleaning...what do you use to clean it out?

Aceman
03-11-2004, 01:36 PM
I would definitely blow air and carb cleaner through the entire carb. Check you float level also. I don't know what the float height is for your carb though. When you have the carb removed, open the gas tank valve and make sure the fuel hose has good flow through it. Clean/oil the air filter. Is your clutch sticking? When you have your quad warmed up and put it in first gear does it roll ahead?

EXDuner
03-11-2004, 03:13 PM
I have the carb apart now....it didn't look like the jet holder was screwed in all the way so I tried to tighten it and the main jet broke!:mad: Anyway, will go to the dealer and get parts...Is that little nut on the jet holder just to keep the holder from coming loose? That is cracked too. Gas flows OK, filter is new and oiled, clutch is adjusted fine too. We'll see what cleaning the carb does.

cals400ex
03-12-2004, 12:38 AM
that little nut holds the needle jet holder (the piece that the mainjet skrews into) in place. that needs to be set at a certain position. on a 400ex, you need to make sure you see about 3 threads on the needle jet holder when you have the nut tightened down. if you skrew that needle jet holder in all the way, you are actually raising your mainjet. this may be hard to see, but when you work on your carb your looking at it up side down from how it sits on the bike. skrewing this in all the way will raise your mainjet and the bike won't have proper performance. what will happen is that the mainjet won't sit low enough in the carb to get all the fuel it needs and it won't run as strong as it should. i am not sure where to set the nut at on the 250x. i assume it is similar to the 400ex though. on the 400ex, the mainjet sits fairly close to the bottom of the carb when you have the bowl on.

by the way, i would spray the carb out to make sure it is clean and also make sure fresh fuel is in it.

miken
03-12-2004, 07:02 AM
FYI, my 300ex sat for a couple months this winter with the clutch cable off. When I reassembled I could not get the clutch to let go. The wheels would turn (jacked up) with the clutch in and out, in gear. Cable was adjusted properly. I had to rev the motor and apply the rear brake to free the clutch plates (I guess). Anyway maybe your having a similar issue? Some drag on the clutch which is stalling your motor. Try putting it in neutral, jam on the brakes, and see if it still wants to stall?
Mike -

EXDuner
03-12-2004, 11:07 AM
Thanks guys, I will try all those things. I had the jet holder screwed in all the way so I will unscrew it a bit and tighten up the lock nut and see what happens. I think I also have some bad gas in there so I will drain it all out. The petcock isn't working right either, with it in on position I get a steady trickle, but with it in the res position it turns off. I've had it off of the tank and cleaned it best I could but it still wont let gas out nearly as fast as my 400EX does maybe it just isn't getting enough fuel as well. Now I see my tank has rusted through!:mad: I will check the for sale section for a tank. I anyone has one please let me know!

Toadz400
03-12-2004, 01:04 PM
Pull in the clutch when you stop:D

EXDuner
03-12-2004, 01:30 PM
That might work.....which petal/button is the clutch:confused: :D

JDiablo
03-12-2004, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by Aceman
When you have your quad warmed up and put it in first gear does it roll ahead?

what does this mean?mine does that:eek2: ...:huh

03-12-2004, 03:08 PM
if ur on flat ground and u pull in teh clutch and ur quad rolls foward thats bad. Ur clutch isnt adjusted right. u nned to fix it. loosen it up a lil.

JDiablo
03-12-2004, 03:10 PM
idk....it is loose tho...what else can that be?bad clutch plates or something?