PDA

View Full Version : which chain do you run?

brandonpeake
03-11-2004, 12:01 PM
ive heard o-ring chains loses noteable hp
just curious what type chain u run?

is the 400ex chain a 520 width?

sled_ed 300ex
03-11-2004, 12:06 PM
A 400 chain is a 520. I run a RK X-ring chain but just because its a little better.:D

brandonpeake
03-11-2004, 12:07 PM
a little better than what?

a got a friend who told me to run a standard DID chain that he uses them on all his bikes and work better for him than the O-Ring

03-11-2004, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by brandonpeake
a little better than what?

a got a friend who told me to run a standard DID chain that he uses them on all his bikes and work better for him than the O-Ring

Standard chains and quads don't mix. DID O-ring for me and for most top riders. NON O-ring chains like to snap after 8 hours of use..:rolleyes:

Standard DID chain = POS

I'v also heard the rumor of non O-ring chains giving you 3 more HP.. HORSECHIT i say..:blah:

IF standard chains were better the rocket scientist at Honda would have them shipping with all chain driven quads they sell..;)

Next time you see your friend tell him to reach back with his left hand an pull his head outa his arse....:D

MOFO
03-11-2004, 12:17 PM
Yep Rico is right...

I'm running a non o-ring DID chain (thought I would save a few bucks)... well its coming back off very soon. The SOB stretches faster than a freakin gum band compared to an O-ring style.

Pappy
03-11-2004, 12:17 PM
when im not running 100 paperclips linked together:o i use a did o-ring 520

03-11-2004, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by MOFO
Yep Rico is right...

I'm running a non o-ring DID chain (thought I would save a few bucks)... well its coming back off very soon. The SOB stretches faster than a freakin gum band compared to an O-ring style.

That's right. I forgot about you tightening your chain every 20 minutes at hatfield this year and complaining about the chain ya put on there. Cheap *******...:o

:D :D

brandonpeake
03-11-2004, 12:22 PM
okay he rides bikes and is a distributor for most of the atv shops around here, so i was getting my parts thru him but i thought myselt that the non o ring was a thing of the past!

Teufel
03-11-2004, 12:46 PM
Tsubaki 520 oring

AndrewRRR
03-11-2004, 12:53 PM
I saw a dyno comparison and a non O-ring made a fraction of a hp more than the o-ring chain. Nothing you can feel. The O-rings last much longer, definately worth the extra $
I use DID chains, althought I might do a Krause (Sidewinder) on the banshee if I can come up with $140.

hondafreestyler
03-11-2004, 01:15 PM
im running sidewinder

PhilMoore
03-11-2004, 05:56 PM
Sidewinder.

So far so good.

It has been on there a year and I haven't needed to adjust it yet. I have done a couple Indoor MX races and a HareScramble (50 miles). The rest has been just trail riding. (probabaly a couple hundred miles)

shamisc
03-11-2004, 07:48 PM
SIDEWINDER hands down!!! They are the best.

F-16Guy
03-11-2004, 09:07 PM
Four years on the stocker and still goin' strong! My brother bought a non o-ring chain for his Raptor a few weeks back, and it's already so stretched that there's no more adjustment left in the carrier. Spend the extra cash, you won't be sorry. If you got beat in a race, it wasn't because of the chain. :devil:

H440exconfused
03-11-2004, 09:19 PM
Renthal gold series O-Ring chain

two yrs, and adjust it alot less than even the stocker.

EXDUNER127
03-15-2004, 08:59 AM
what is the actual size when i order it from a catalog. for a chain for the 400ex. my stocker just snapped riding this weekend and ruined the whole ride.

250rider
03-15-2004, 10:10 AM
same here i snapped my did non oring this weekend and im supposed to goto atco to ride wensday, bummer for me, im gonna go with did x ring or the o ring!

brandonpeake
03-15-2004, 10:40 AM
u want a 520 chain, try c & d for your chain they usually aqt least meet prices but they have give me better prices than anywhere else

EXDUNER127
03-15-2004, 11:26 AM
what size is it, 520x120?

which one should i get RK x-ring or DID o-ring?

AndrewRRR
03-15-2004, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by EXDUNER127
what size is it, 520x120?

which one should i get RK x-ring or DID o-ring?

Depends on your swingarm length, gearing, etc. 120 is the longest "normal" size, so you could just get that and cut off what you don't need. DID's o-ring chains are called x-ring also. I prefer DID to RK but they are both good.

XANDADA
03-15-2004, 02:21 PM
Well, after one seasons use of the Sidewinder, I have to give it the thumbs down:( . I spent a mint on a product that didn't last as long as I was led to believe. I put maybe 30 hours on my R last season. After about 20 hours I needed a new counter sprocket. The chain is now stretched to the max and the rear sprocket needs replaced soon as well. I got the high $ titanium setup from Krause. I think I'll go back to DID o-ring...:mad:

AndrewRRR
03-15-2004, 02:35 PM
Wow thats the first negative review i've heard about them. I'd be ticked too, those things are spendy.
A friend of mine got the titanium Krause chain, he said it took 4 trips just for normal chain stretching to occur. Usually it does it after the first trip.

foleyit
03-15-2004, 10:54 PM
Running RK 520 X-ring chain here.

shamisc
03-15-2004, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by XANDADA
Well, after one seasons use of the Sidewinder, I have to give it the thumbs down:( . I spent a mint on a product that didn't last as long as I was led to believe. I put maybe 30 hours on my R last season. After about 20 hours I needed a new counter sprocket. The chain is now stretched to the max and the rear sprocket needs replaced soon as well. I got the high $ titanium setup from Krause. I think I'll go back to DID o-ring...:mad:

What sprockets were you using? Were they the Ti-moly series? If so, that SUUUCKS!! I spent like $300 on mine!!:grr: I guess the old saying " You get what you pay for" isn't always true!:mad:

250rider
03-16-2004, 05:01 AM
just ordered brand new did x ring chain and sunstar front with some kind of steel rear, got it all from c&d racing for 117.85 and that was with 2 day air across the country!
ill defenately be doing buisness with them again.

XANDADA
03-16-2004, 07:11 AM
Originally posted by shamisc
What sprockets were you using? Were they the Ti-moly series? If so, that SUUUCKS!! I spent like $300 on mine!!:grr: I guess the old saying " You get what you pay for" isn't always true!:mad:

Yes, they were the top of the line Titanium series o-ring chain, Ti rear sprocket and tool steel front. Yes they cost me a mint and didn't even last a full season which for me was 30 hours ride time tops. I cleaned the chain every other ride and always lubed it with Maxima chain wax before every ride.:mad:

I'm going to go back to the DID x-ring chain. What steel sprockets should I try now? Thanks for the help...

AndrewRRR
03-16-2004, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by XANDADA

I'm going to go back to the DID x-ring chain. What steel sprockets should I try now? Thanks for the help...

I like Sunstar. I heard some racers use Rebels also.

03-16-2004, 11:16 AM
i prefer renthal sprockets & DID oring chains

atvcrazy
03-16-2004, 12:57 PM
im running a white brothers DID 0-ring chain and it doin okay for me.
:rolleyes:

watashee
04-12-2004, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by shamisc

Dude, I couldn't help but notice your post. I've used Sidewinders since 1985 and I've never had a problem with them. And that includes a lot of national moto's! You tipped me off on your post to what the problem really is. The Maxima chain wax. That stuff is the worst thing you could ever use on a chain. Once the sprocket and chain heats up that stuff flies off the chain, leaving nothing to lubricate your chain. Leave that stuff to the candlemakers! Assuming that you are adjusting the chain properly, I would really just get some better lube, Silicone based is best. I'm pretty sure Sidewinder sells some good stuff. Either way, get some lube that will stay on the chain.
By the way I have a full season on my 2003 yam 450wr and I'm sure it's good for another at least.
email me any time
Tim

Chanman420q
04-12-2004, 02:08 PM
whats the diffrance between the X-Ring chains and the o-ring chains? the xring costs a little more doesnt it

04-12-2004, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by Chanman420q
the xring costs a little more doesnt it

If ya ask me that's the only difference. Seems to me that the X-ring would hold more crap in the chain than an 0-ring. and when I say crap that's what I mean, dirt, grim, sand, etc, etc. 0-ring is all I"ll ever run.