PDA

View Full Version : Front Brakes

James Parent
03-11-2004, 09:28 AM
Yay! it was nice out today so i thought I would take apart and clean some more stuff on my quad... the second i brought it out Fedex came with my Powerbomb Header! and about an hour later UPS came with my new front tires and rims... days going great so far..... one thing

I never changed my front brake pads before is there anything i should be aware of before jumping into it? How long? and do i need anything else besides new pads from my dealer? a picture of what to unscrew and what not to would help
thanks
james

brandonpeake
03-11-2004, 09:44 AM
u willk usually need to bleed them, i also run i know belreay makes it dont remeber the name maybe just dot 4 brake fluid helps ur brakes to not fade, its kinda pricey like $5 for this little bottle, but it works tons better, my brakes used to fade some but no more

Ex'r Marlin
03-11-2004, 11:20 AM
Sorry... I don't have a picture, but hopefully I can help:

1)Loosen the front lug nuts. (Mounting nuts for your wheels)
2)Stand the atv up.
3)Remove lug nuts and front tires/wheels from hub.
4)Inspect all four brake pads while they are still in place. Look to see if the brake pads are thin. (Compare to new set of brake pads).
5)If brake pad replacement is required, there are 4 dust caps to remove (2 on the left side of the atv, and 2 on the right side). I recommend using the correct size screw driver for this.
6) Using allen wrench, loosen the brake pad pins that go through the brake pads.
7) Loosen the two caliper mounting bolts that mount the caliper to the atv.
8) Remove one of the mounting bolts to allow the caliper to rotate up and so the brake pads come up and over the brake rotor.
9) Remove the brake pad mounting pins using allen wrench, which will free the old brake pads.
10) You will now need to pust the piston all the way in to allow for the new brake pads.
11) Reassemble:) (Do not use any lube!)

I estimate an hour and a half to do both fronts the first time.

Good luck!

cdalejef
03-11-2004, 11:22 AM
If your just changing pads then you won't need to bleed them. Its the same as changing out the rear pads