PDA

View Full Version : 450R problems

jmoney45
03-11-2004, 08:34 AM
I have been reading all posts about the new honda on many boards and am about to plunk my hard earned money down on one. I have been going back and forth between the yammie and honda for a while and want the best for my buck. Have any owners of the 450R had serious problems? I've read about the notorious engine case blowing on startup, and even about axles bending, and a lot of bikes coming back to the shops with other problems. Don't know how much is true and bs but want to make the right decision.

I just haven't heard of many serious problems with the yfz and know how great it performs since I've ridden two. I would just prefer the honda if it is reliable and comparable. Please no flames here, just factual information.

Thanks.

greghall
03-11-2004, 08:53 AM
Any machine will have proplems,They all break as for axles & other things like frames they can only take so much abuse,as far as engine case blowing apart I think its isolated & operater error by floding engine & causine the right conditions for teh backfire,YFZ are having electrical proplems which I hope Yamaha will address,I bought a Honda for the reputation the 400EX I had & If was a little better than the EX I was happy.I AM VERY HAPPY WITH MY 450R I love it,Sre it could have had eletric start but it didnt deter my decision to buy one,MAKE your own choice The Yami was just to cramped for my 6ft 4 inch frame + Im a Honda fan If Honad would came out with the R I would have bought a Honda,Also the Yami is more expensive.

greghall
03-11-2004, 08:55 AM
sorry for the english im trying to type to fast

quadrcr161
03-11-2004, 09:09 AM
im happy with mine. i landed very hard on a double the other weekend right on the axle, i figured it would have bent but no signs of it yet. if i had the chance to go back and buy either the yfz or the r, the 450r would still be my choice.

2004TRX450R
03-11-2004, 09:22 AM
The cases blowing apart is more or less just rider error by giveing it some throttle when starting. Not just flooding it. I have heard of one now on a TRX one on a CRF and a couple on WRs. I haven't heard of any axles bending but that isn't the bikes fault. That would be more of what the rider is doing with it. I haven't heard of any real problems with them yet. I know I LOVE mine!:devil: Wouldn't trade it for a Yami for nothing.

SSRedRider
03-11-2004, 10:11 AM
I have two GNCC races on my Trx450R now. The only problem I have had is the clutch cable broke. It seems that a stick jammed the cable and frayed it down at the motor, this would have happened with either bike. The power is great, I am really happy with it. A buddy of mine raced his Yamaha 450 at the last race and didn't finish, seems his battery went dead, he couldn't start it without pushing it. I don't have to worry about batteries anymore. The Trx450r kicks easy. Starting to see alot of the new Trx450r at the races.

jmoney45
03-11-2004, 10:21 AM
Thanks for the replies guys. I think I'll still go with the honda. Seems like I see a lot of problems with them at other sites but who knows what is bs or not. Wading through the flame wars is tough so it's good to get feedback from actual owners.

Plus I already ordered a new hood and PEP shocks and am about to order some tires. :devil:

mephyst
03-11-2004, 04:36 PM
Good choice! :D I have had no problems with mine yet except for the fact that I am addicted to it and want to ride it all the time now.... :cool:

4fiddyR
03-11-2004, 06:28 PM
Good choice, you will be pleased!:D

jmoney45
03-11-2004, 06:40 PM
Stopped by the dealer tonite and was surprised that they had one in that was not sold. They said a couple guys were trying to get financing but that hadn't come through yet. Needless to say I put some money down and am picking it up Saturday morning. Woo hoo. :muscle:

twisted threads
03-12-2004, 05:54 AM
I have one problem with the 450r!! THERE isn't one in my shop!!:D but some day there will be:cool:

Honda
03-12-2004, 02:36 PM
None! Nadda! None Ye!

No Problems Here!

Just check all the nuts and bolts, make sure they are tight from the factory.

Have fun, It is a great machine. Even greater with mods, and good looking too!

;)

roughrider01
03-12-2004, 02:48 PM
The only probably i have with mine is when you try driving thru two feet of snow and you get stuck.. lol. I hate the weather up here.

To all the people that get to ride there 450r on dirt, im jealous to say the least.

03-13-2004, 09:12 PM
:(i had on olmost major problem I cheked all bolts when igot my r in jan and even pulled some for looktight , buuuuut didn't locktight tne case saver bolts . they backed out and broke the sides of the taped hols off!!!!!:( i hade to use j.b. weld . i hope it holds good . so take those out and use locktight!!!!!!!! other than that its a great ride . can't wait to go racn:devil:

sparky450AR
03-14-2004, 08:58 AM
I have got over 150 miles on mine and have no poblems. I know 150 miles is not a lot, but if there is going to be an obvious problem from the factory, i havent found one yet.

MAKE sure you lock tight your pipe heat shield bolts....they WILL come lose!

03-14-2004, 07:45 PM
:( just an update J.B. weld didn't hold , grabed liqid titanium from work if that dosn't work i'm gona use the case bolts to hold it on wish me luck:D

jmoney45
03-14-2004, 07:54 PM
Just a quick question. Why not take it to the dealer and have them mess with it? You're still under warranty so why bother, especially if the case saver bolts broke.

03-14-2004, 08:26 PM
i'm racing southwick in three weeks and need to ride . i ride at least 2x a week
+ it would probably be there for the race. hopin this works!!!!!!!