PDA

View Full Version : Installing JE 416 piston, simple question?

03-06-2002, 02:36 AM
Which way does the arrow on the top of the piston point? Towards intake or towards exhaust?
My Honda book refers to a stock piston which would say "IN" towards intake, but this JE piston just has an arrow.

Thanks in advance for the input!

CBRSLIDER
03-06-2002, 03:12 AM
I believe that it points toward the exhaust. A friend of mine just put his in wrong and scarred the top of the piston w/ one of the valves. The arrow is to show the normal flow of events.

Ray

03-06-2002, 03:28 AM
Thanks for the reply. That's what I was thinking, and that is how I installed it (though only the cylinder is bolted in right now, I'm lapping the valves as I write this). I figured I had better explain the two thought patterns I'm battling with right now;

1. The side with the arrow has larger diameter and deeper valve pockets than the opposite side. The spec sheet that comes with the piston indicates a larger exhaust pocket. Thus, I determined that the arrow points towards exhaust.

2. When I picked up the head to change valve seals and lap the valves, I noticed that the intake valves appear to be the larger diameter, so perhaps the arrow indicates the intake side?

Damn, now I'm confusticated as all get out. What yer sayin' makes perfect sense, but why the he!! don't they just indicate IN oe EX for zero-pilots like yours truly???

03-06-2002, 04:04 AM
Okay, here's the conclusion. As you said, arrow points towards exhaust. I took one of each valve and set them into the pockets in the piston. Arrow=front is the only way they both fit.

Thanks Ray!

Leo
03-06-2002, 05:02 AM
Honda just wanted to make it confusing by stamping IN (intake) on the piston, instead of going with standard convention and putting an arrow pointing towards the exhaust :D

Leo