PDA

View Full Version : Jetting???

everest21
03-10-2004, 09:02 PM
Im riding mostly at 5 to 6 thousand feet elevation. I rode my R for the first time tonight and noticed a chugging/clunking sound/feeling at lower rpms when upshifting. Its most noticeable in 5th gear but does it up through all the gears. Im wondering if its a jetting issue, I know its a higher RPM motor and im used to a 400ex, but I wasnt lugging it....you can still feel it as the revs come up but it begins to go away the higher they get. Dealer told me they didnt change the jets so its got whatever it came with. Anyone feel anything similiar?

4fiddyR
03-11-2004, 06:39 PM
Your in 5th gear at lower RPM's??? sorry your lugging it!

quadjockey440
03-11-2004, 11:15 PM
No its not the jetting and yes they do chug and clunk in lugging conditions. We noticed ours do it at the dunes, now that the bike is broke in and we have made some mods, ie pipe, jetting and new shocks problem seems to lessen. You will also notice a shake a high speeds, fifth gear pinned. Havn't tried the high speed thing yet with the new shocks, we will this weekend. Hopefully it will be better also?

n_saneguy
03-11-2004, 11:25 PM
The 450 is made to run. If the engine is "clunking" and such, you aren't giving it enough throttle. Keep it up in the RPM range and you shouldn't have the problems you are describing.
MA: (my opinion below, don't flame me too much :))
Try downshifting to raise the RPMs and then upshift to the next gear keeping the RPMs close. If you are in 1st gear--push the throttle in a bit more, then shift into second. Repeat. Keep the RPM range as close as possible when shifting gears. This prevents the "bogging" or "clunking" of the engine under load.

quadjockey440
03-11-2004, 11:48 PM
Thanks for teaching me how to ride? But obviously you don't understand. At sometime in your riding career? You will find that your not always pinned and this is a condition of the bike. My Cannondale doesn't do this Nor my two YFZ's or my Banshee, or My 400 ex. Just the Honda trx450r. This condition is talked about in some of the articles on the bike as well. Lets go ride!!:D

everest21
03-12-2004, 09:36 PM
AT LAST....someone else knows what im talking about!! Ive called dealers...talked to other people and nothing. Im not imagining it.
After spending more time on the bike, i have to agree with quadjockey......I think its just a condition of the bike. Its less noticeable now thats its more broken in but it still does it. My 400ex doesnt do anything close to this either.

I have 3 friends with CRF 450s and I got a chance to ride them all...just to see.......2 of them do the same thing...the other one doesnt...and I was purposefully lugging it in high gear and it didnt clunk or chug at all it was still very smooth....so who knows. I know theyre not exactly the same motor design but interesting anyway.

I also agree thats its a high rev motor and you need to give it more throttle...but it still bums me out....sometimes you just wanna shift early and cruise.
Thank u guys for the input....good to know its not just my bike that does it.
What about lowering the gearing a tooth or so.....think it would help?

4fiddyR
03-13-2004, 07:14 PM
yeah, the condition is called lugging it.