PDA

View Full Version : god i hate exhaust studs!!!!!

accorracer
03-10-2004, 05:41 PM
i hate exhaust studs it seems like every single time i fool with them on a car or anything brake them or some crap!!!!!

now i gotta get a dremel tool to fix this crap before this weekend so i can go riding at forest hill!!!!!

http://pic10.picturetrail.com/VOL343/1801512/3469826/47994916.jpg

sorry just flaming

400ex#18
03-10-2004, 05:47 PM
oh god...i have never had that happen, but that seems like it would suck pretty bad!

accorracer
03-10-2004, 05:49 PM
i should have it fixed tommorow but i had better hope the honda dealer has a new stud in stock!!!

AtvMxRider
03-10-2004, 06:36 PM
The best way to keep from breaking them is to warm the engine a little before you try removing it.

jay's 300
03-10-2004, 06:39 PM
Been there, about 3 times! Yes it does suck very much! Good luck :D

accorracer
03-10-2004, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by jay's 300
Been there, about 3 times! Yes it does suck very much! Good luck :D

did the honda store usually have the studs in stock?

yea the warming the motor thing does make sence

hondarider2006
03-10-2004, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by accorracer
did the honda store usually have the studs in stock?

yea the warming the motor thing does make sence

Doesn't it make the metal weak??

redroost85
03-10-2004, 08:29 PM
I feel your pain man! I remember taking the stock pipe off to put on my Yosh. Dammit if I couldn't shake the pipe loose off the studs, lol! I tweaked the studs pretty bad, but had a friend straighten them out for me. Gotta say that I have never broken any off....that's gotta suck. Hopefully you can right this pain in the can soon, huh?

Let us know man.:)

Ralph
03-10-2004, 08:39 PM
mine didnt break, instead the whole stud came out with the nut...

toby400ex
03-10-2004, 08:55 PM
mine cost me about $60 at a machine shop to remove. Bugger had to be drilled out, then a metal sleeve was put in.:rolleyes:

accorracer
03-12-2004, 06:35 AM
well i ended up gettin a 12 point 7mm socket and beating it on the top with a hammer and getting it out.

but i called every atv shop in town and the honda dealership and NOBODY could get me a stud for this weekend and i was supposed to go out of town to go riding

so i started thinking and came up with an idea and found that honda car motor exhaust studs are identical to the ones on the fourwheelers so needless to say it is up and running

nikejoe
03-12-2004, 07:29 AM
I guess you got it going, but I was just going to let you know I broke one off on a late sat night and Auto Zone had a stud that matched. THey only had a regular nut with no flange but I just put a washer on it. Worked great and cost alot less than through honda. Just FYI! Have fun Riding!:p

dirtmomma
03-12-2004, 09:09 AM
well i ended up gettin a 12 point 7mm socket and beating it on the top with a hammer and getting it out.

but i called every atv shop in town and the honda dealership and NOBODY could get me a stud for this weekend and i was supposed to go out of town to go riding

so i started thinking and came up with an idea and found that honda car motor exhaust studs are identical to the ones on the fourwheelers so needless to say it is up and running

Cool now your thinkin LOL you sound likeus.............have means will find a way;)

accorracer
03-12-2004, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by dirtmomma
Cool now your thinkin LOL you sound likeus.............have means will find a way;)

when in rome do as the romans do lol:D

chucked
03-12-2004, 02:22 PM
You can also put a nut over top of it that is a little larger then the stud, then use a welder and weld the stud to it and out it goes. Thats what I did anyway

toby400ex
03-12-2004, 04:44 PM
You could just use a bolt if u cant get a stud in time

Rebel7
03-14-2004, 03:38 PM
Hey im having the same problem I tried using a nut and weld on it about three times and it would just strip off its on bad. so im just going to take it do a atv machine place i hope it doesnt cost to much im goin in about two weeks any ideas? thanks Austin

ReconRider25
03-14-2004, 04:06 PM
did you bother to put any penetrating oil on it or anything before you took it off?

accorracer
03-14-2004, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by ReconRider25
did you bother to put any penetrating oil on it or anything before you took it off?

i used that pb stuff worked really well

sandspanker
03-15-2004, 09:49 PM
:) I HAVE DRILLED OUT ABOUT 35-40 EXHAUST STUDS AT WORK. MOSTLY ON THE MERCURY VILLAGER MINI VANS WITH THE 3.0 LITER SIDEWAYS ENGINE.ONLY HAD TO PULL TWO HEADS.WHEN I GET THEM OUT I WILL RUN A TAP IN THE HOLE AND THEN BRAKE CLEAN AND BLOW IT UOT WITH COMPRESSED AIR. THE TAP SIZE IS 8X1.25. SAME SIZE AS THE 400EX EXHAUST STUDS. PUT SOME ANTI-SEIZE ON THE STUD AND JUST SNUG IT UP {NOT VERY TIGHT} THAT WAY IF IT HAPPENS AGAIN IT COMES OUT VERY EASY. :p

Rebel7
03-16-2004, 09:24 PM
did you use a hand drill or a drill press?

sandspanker
03-16-2004, 10:41 PM
:p used an angle drill and a mikita drill .;)

accorracer
03-17-2004, 04:50 AM
all you gotta do is spray it with pb. use a 7mm 12 point socket on a extension. hammer it on the rest of the stud till it bites. then turn it out

HayWire
03-17-2004, 05:00 AM
I have had the same problem on motor bikes over the years .
In the end best thing to do is before this happens and when the bikes relativly new ,Take the studs out drill your exhust stud holes and fit them with Helicoils there made from stainless steel and wont bind up your studs in future ... Your studs are f%&*ing up due to heating up then cooling down , Steal and Aluminuim dont mix ,It causes electrolisis your studs corode in the cylinder head and they break when you try to remove them ...
In all of my rides I replace them with Stianless Studs which I make from all thread bolts of the right length ....
So when all is said and done Stainless Helicoils and Stainless Studs will give you years of hasstle free header pipe removal ......

More Dirt To Ya Aussie Aussie Aussie O! O! O!
GASGAS Wild450

Rebel7
03-17-2004, 10:11 PM
Thanks guys im going to see what i can do this weekend with it i ordered a Edelbrock quicksilver carb so im going to strip off the plastics to get at it ALSO did you take your egine out or leave it on the frame

HayWire
03-17-2004, 11:50 PM
You might have to take the engine out ,you've got to have enough room to tap new threads if your going to put helicoils in cyclinder head ...... Thats If your going to do the job properly so you wont have this prob again ...Its not expencive you could prob do it for about 40 or 50 $

More Dirt To Ya GàŠG㊠WïLа450

PhilMoore
03-25-2004, 10:00 PM
I just took mine off tonight. My 400EX is over 5 years old and I have never had them off. Still running the stock exhaust.
Anyway I took the torch and heated the nuts until they were red. Let them cool until the cherry red went away, then used a box wrench to take them off. They came off easy. You just have to be carefull where you direct the torch so you don't singe coils, wires, cables, etc.

This also works great on auto exhaust, old corvette suspension bolts, old rusty farm equipment, anything you can get at with a torch (without burning paint, or plastic..)

accorracer
03-26-2004, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by PhilMoore
I just took mine off tonight. My 400EX is over 5 years old and I have never had them off. Still running the stock exhaust.
Anyway I took the torch and heated the nuts until they were red. Let them cool until the cherry red went away, then used a box wrench to take them off. They came off easy. You just have to be carefull where you direct the torch so you don't singe coils, wires, cables, etc.

This also works great on auto exhaust, old corvette suspension bolts, old rusty farm equipment, anything you can get at with a torch (without burning paint, or plastic..)

i would be careful doing it like that due to the fact that the motor is aluminum

HondaMan222
03-26-2004, 02:40 PM
i came back from a ride and 1 had snaped off, how did that happen

PhilMoore
03-26-2004, 04:27 PM
i would be careful doing it like that due to the fact that the motor is aluminum

Ok;)