PDA

View Full Version : hot cams stage 1

PismoGuy400
03-10-2004, 04:57 PM
if i were going to install a stage 1 cam in my 400, would i need to do anything else to the motor, or will it just replace the old camshaft w/ no other modifications needing to be done, my motor is stock other than piped and jetted. Will i be able to install it in my garage, or should i leave it up to professionals? IOW, is it easy?

also what kind of performance gains will i see?

thanks

Silverfox@C&DRacing
03-10-2004, 05:50 PM
the stage 1 cam was made for stock compression. If you have a manual and are mechanical you should be able to do this yourself and save you some money. You will see a gain from bottom to mid.

montyjcm
03-10-2004, 05:54 PM
Could you use it and the stage two for higher compressions?

cals400ex
03-10-2004, 05:58 PM
you don't need to replace anything else. just get the manual and you should be fine. it might be beneficial to have someone by your side to have an extra set of hands when installing the cam for the first time.

my friend put in a stage 1 cam and he really likes it. it is much better for trails than my stage 2 cam in my opinion. he got gains everywhere. the lowend power seemed much more useable and his mid and topend gains were really good. my friend and i both run 406's. my friends bike with the stage 1 has more bottom end power than me and his top end is just as good as mine. my bike just rev's higher but you need to stay high for my bike to have power. for coming out of a corner when the rpm's aren't as high, he definately has an advantage over me.

cals400ex
03-10-2004, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by montyjcm
Could you use it and the stage two for higher compressions?

you can use either cam with any piston. the stage 2 just needs a higher compression piston or bigger bore unless you want to rev that to the moon. i really question my cam chioce (stage 2) with my 10.8:1 406. i was wanting more mid range to top speed so i went with the stage 2. however, i don't ANY more top speed than my friend and his stage 1. the only thing mine does is rev higher. mine will want to rev past the stock rev limit where his wants to rev to right about the stock rev limit and it then wants to go to the next gear.

everyone has their own opinion on these subjects. this is just what i have learned from our first hand experience. i would NOT put a stage 2 in a smaller bore or smaller compression that what i have now. i just didn't get the gains over the stage 1. i think my motor would wake up with a port job. mine will rev past the stock rev limit by around 1000 rpms but the bike is then struggling. i know i need heavier valve springs and a port job for that kind of revving. good luck

montyjcm
03-10-2004, 06:38 PM
Okay, thanks. Do you think that the stage two would work better for a 416 kit with porting? I would be riding desert/ dunes, so I wouldn't be in the lowend too much.

chrisc
03-10-2004, 07:01 PM
just wondering , I just got a stage 1 and they say to replace the rockers. Has anyone ever had a proplem with using the old ones? It seems like everyone sayes to just use the old ones . also anyone had a problem reusing the gasket again Thanks

PismoGuy400
03-10-2004, 10:08 PM
thanks guys, i think im gonna go ahed and get the stage 1, as soon as i have some extra cash...

this post is also going to serve as a ...'bump':D

cals400ex
03-10-2004, 11:03 PM
for a 416 or bigger with dune riding and a port job with other mods i would go ahead and get the stage 2 cam.

most all members reuse the stock rockers. just remember to not get hardened rockers if you do replace them. it is recommended but no where near manditory if the stock ones are in great condition.

EXDUNER127
03-11-2004, 08:22 AM
Did anyone who intalled the stg 1 or 2 fell they needed a longer swingarm to stay on the ground? i want to bore to a 416, or a 406, is there a differance in power between the two? should i get the stg 1 or the stg 2, i am not doing any port work anytime soon. is there any good in just doing the stg 1 with no piston right now or should i bump up the compression. i dont have very much power but want some more for duning and ocasional racing at glamis.

EXDUNER127
03-11-2004, 08:33 AM
will it be alright to install the stg 1 right now w/ stock piston and little bigger carb. and then install new piston later, when have more money or do i need to do all at once to get more power.

what i am asking is, does the cam need the piston work for now or is it just not worth putting in a cam w/o a piston.

EXDUNER127
03-11-2004, 11:00 AM
BUMP!

cals400ex
03-11-2004, 11:09 AM
most people of course recommend doing both the cam and piston at one time. if your just going to do the cam first, i would do the stage 1. i would think you should get a gain. then later on when you do the piston you can see how you like the power. if your prefer a higher revving bike after you do the piston, you can always get another cam.

infantry317
03-11-2004, 11:28 AM
I'm hoping to put a stage 1 on my 416 10.8:1 soon for XC. Mickey Dunlap was nice enough to make that recommendation when I knew nothing about it.