PDA

View Full Version : rookie xc racer wannabe w/questions

quadperson
03-05-2002, 07:24 PM
I live close to Scipio in SE Oklahoma. Rumor has it that a new orv park is going to open there this spring. Rumor also has it that they will be holding xc races. I would like to try this. I have a 2002 300ex that is stock. I have a helmet, gloves, and goggles. What else do I have to have. I don't know if its something I will like or even be good at, so I don't want to spend a mint yet. Any help would be great. Thanx

03-06-2002, 05:41 AM
Just a few years ago, I raced my first XC race on a stock 300EX. When the dust cleared, I had a huge smile on my face and I was hooked for life.
A 300EX is not the fastest or best handing atv on the market, but it is very reliable, easy to ride, and handles woods racing very well.
There are three things that you should get before your first race. 6-ply front and rear tires, nerfbars, and a teather kill switch.
The weakest point on a 300EX is it's balloon stock tires. Replace them with the sport tire of your choice and the handling of your quad will increase a ton. And with a thick six ply tire, you will not have to worry about getting a flat when racing over rocks, sticks, etc.
The nerfbars are great for sliding through the tight woods turns. On a XC course, most of the racing is done in the woods. The trail passes between trees that are just wide enough to fit your quad through. Nerfbars help line the rear of your quad up when driving between these trees so that you don't catch a back tire on one causing you to wreck or break something.
A kill switch is a cheap mod that in my opinion should come stock on atv's and dirtbikes. Some race tracks and promoters will not let you race without one. A teather kill switch will kill the engine if you fall off the quad while riding. A great safety feature if the throttle sticks open.

You don't need a million dollars to race XC. Sure it would be nice to have a $20,000 dollar race quad. But woods racing is won on reliable, comfortable machines.

E-mail me if you would like to talk outside of the forum. (chrisjstark@yahoo.com)

Chris
AMA District 23 Racer #66
2002 Laeger's/Pro Fab/Custom AXIS 365X
QuadSport MX, Quad 250A MX, QuadSport 250A XC
See ya at the races.......

OCCRA288
03-06-2002, 01:52 PM
Go to the occra races. the next one is at Lake Draper. Go to www.occra.com for more information. This is one of the best organizations to be involved in as far as local XC racing is considered.