PDA

View Full Version : install help?

EXDUNER127
03-10-2004, 12:59 PM
Who has installed a hot cam stg 2 and high comp piston? was it hard to do your self, like was it hard to get the timing right on the cam. alot of engine builders make it sound so hard, that if i mess one thing up i will blow up my top end...

i have the clymers.

Silverfox@C&DRacing
03-10-2004, 03:00 PM
It is pretty easy to do. If you have a manual and some mechanical knowledge you should be fine, If you aren't comfortable you can always give us a call and Colby can walk you throught it.

EXDUNER127
03-10-2004, 03:02 PM
So i dont have to freak out about messing up the timing?

Silverfox@C&DRacing
03-10-2004, 03:07 PM
You do need to make sure that the timing is correct or that will cause problems :)

hondarider2006
03-10-2004, 03:49 PM
How hard is it to set the timeing, and do the valves?? And I was wondering which manual is the best for doing things like this??

EXDUNER127
03-11-2004, 07:44 AM
So what do i do to make sure i do not mess up the timing, safety procedures. i think i can do it but what are some helpful tips?

Hondaluva
03-11-2004, 11:16 AM
Helpful tips...get a Clymer manual and read it!!

Also before you remove the cam sprocket you have to mark the link on the chain where the line is on the sprocket at TDC (you will understand once you get the head cover off your bike). Then when you remove it you have to make sure you always keep tension on the chain and wire it up to the frame while you are poking around in the top end.

cals400ex
03-11-2004, 11:19 AM
tips:
read and understand the manual before you do the job.
make sure you have the proper tools.
it isn't a bad idea to have someone else there to help.
when installing a hotcam, remove the spring and plunger from the head.
the clymer should take you through the rest

adjusting valves isn't that hard. there is a step by step procedure on this site in the tech articles. i have both the clymer and honda manual. i kind of like the clymer better myself. however, both will enable you to get the job done.

UglyMotha™
03-11-2004, 11:57 AM
well if you don't get your timing right you will jack the top end up, just to be safe if you don't feel completly comfortable with your work after you get everything set you can manually turn the motor over slowly to make sure nothings goin to bind, if you do feel it bind, don't force it, but it's not a hard job just do it by the book and you'll be fine

EXDUNER127
03-11-2004, 12:00 PM
COOL THANKS GUYS YOU GAVE ME CONFIDENCE...

UglyMotha™
03-11-2004, 12:05 PM
oh yah, one more thing don't forget to have your cylinder honed before you put it all back together

EXDUNER127
03-11-2004, 12:06 PM
What do you mean honed? what, where?

UglyMotha™
03-11-2004, 12:18 PM
anytime you remove your piston from the cylinder you always replace the rings and hone the cylinder this is what seats your rings, if you don't do this your compression will be crap and she'll burn oil you can get this done at any automotive machine shop for bout 30 to 40 bucks

EXDUNER127
03-11-2004, 12:40 PM
Will i need to take out the piston just replace the cam? Isnt the cam right on top and if i have to remove the piston i might as well put a bigger one in there if i am going to need it honed,but i figured you didnt need to remove the piston?

UglyMotha™
03-11-2004, 01:06 PM
:confused: :confused: you asked in your first post who has installed a high comp. piston so i'm assuming your goin to install one, i'm pretty sure you can't fit both in there so you definantly goin need to remove atleast one of them :huh

Who has installed a hot cam stg 2 and high comp piston?

EXDUNER127
03-11-2004, 01:14 PM
Sorry, i changed subject to just installing a cam...my bad!

Aceman
03-11-2004, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by UglyMotha™
anytime you remove your piston from the cylinder you always replace the rings and hone the cylinder this is what seats your rings, if you don't do this your compression will be crap and she'll burn oil you can get this done at any automotive machine shop for bout 30 to 40 bucks

Not necessarily, I put my 330 kit in, started my quad up and let it run for about 10 min. total but found out something was wrong with the transmission. So I ended up tearing it back down and reassembling it without rehoning it. My engine doesn't smoke, burn oil or lack compression. If its been a long time since a rebuild then new rings and a hone job are necessary but not if you just put the new piston in without seating the rings all the way. Hone job is around $5-10.

EXDUNER127
03-11-2004, 01:55 PM
I called sparks racing and the guy told me that just putting a cam in would wake the motor up a bit, and he said if i wanted to do a piston, i could right now or just wait because it didnt make that much difference, it justs adds to the cam. so i think i am going to do that and pick up my bored stock carb. and see how that does?

do you guys think he is right?

UglyMotha™
03-11-2004, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by Aceman
but not if you just put the new piston in without seating the rings all the way.

:rolleyes: tell that to a reputable (no clue how to spell it) engine builder you compression may be good but for a fact it's not goin to be the best that it can be your rings can be only a week old and if you remove them they will never seat as good and they were before and that's a fact

Aceman
03-11-2004, 10:14 PM
Of course if your rings are a week old and are torn down and put back together they won't seat as well as rings that were left alone. You said anytime you should replace rings, I said 10 min. won't make a difference. If you don't believe me call Profab that's exactly what they told me. I bet you wouldn't even be able to tell the compression difference between the average rering/hone job and a rering/hone job that was taken apart after 10 min. and put back together.