PDA

View Full Version : Hotcam stage 1 & 2 questions

HondaChris
03-10-2004, 07:23 AM
I am going to be putting in a hotcam, and have a few questions. Heres my situation:
I have a stock, and 14 tooth front sprocket. The stage 1 improves low-mid, and 2 improves top end. I liked having the low end snap that the 14 gave me over the stock, but have recently put the 15 back on for old times sake. I liked having the top-end back again, obviously at the expense of the low end grunt from the 14t.
If I put the 14t back on, would the stage 2 make up for the top-end lost from the 15t somewhat?
Or-if I left the 15t on, and put the stage 1 in, would I somewhat make up for the low-end grunt lost from taking off the 14t?
Or, is what I want impossible? I know I am asking for the best of both worlds here, wanting more both ways, as far as bottom/top end.

moto93
03-10-2004, 08:29 AM
Hey there CC, How's it goin'?

I think you need to get a higher compression (10:1-11:1) piston to go along with the stage two cam to get what you want. Before I changed the cam/piston in mine I was running a 14 tooth too but after the mod I was able to ditch it and go back to the stock 15. It really makes a BIG difference when you do the cam/piston together. Here's a piston kit I found on ebay (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=43977&item=2464902858) that's less than $100. I'm afraid you may be a little disappointed in doing the cam alone.

Hope this helps,

HondaChris
03-10-2004, 08:47 AM
I was planning on doing the piston too, its just a matter of convincing the wife I NEED it...thats not normally the problem though, the question normally is "how much to get it put in" comes up more frequently...if I'm able to get both fairly soon, ya feel like helpin me tear it apart, and hopefully put it back together? When it comes to going that far into a motor, I'm mechanically challenged!!

moto93
03-10-2004, 11:06 AM
No problem! I'd be glad to help you out. Just let me know when you get your stuff. We can do it at my place most any weekday we have off.

L8R,