PDA

View Full Version : HELP: my exhust is throwing 20" flames HELP

330EXman
03-05-2002, 07:16 PM
Hey guys heres the parts i have on my machine ( 2001 300ex),

High lift cam, Wiseco high cmpression piston, titanium valve springs,LRD exhaust, 400ex carb, K+N dyno jets,K+N air filter, WB air box filter vents.

I just got done installing these parts and everything is hooked up right and so on. and the carb is jetted right i think but i havent got it to run for ay lenght of time to check them, We used allitle oil to soak the piston rings in and lube the wall allitle not much but allittle. now when i go to crank it over sometimes it will begin start.(it low on gas which might be why it wont start but) why is it throwing the biggest back fire i have ever seen. I meen this is a huge back fire. I KNOW THE TIMING IS CORRECT AND THE VALVE SPRING CLEARENCE IS CORRECT.(JUST TO CHECK WHAT IS THE CLEARENCE GOT TO BE)
WHAT IS THE PROBLEM. I KNOW WE PUT IT TOGETHER RIGHT!

do i just need to get it to burn off the eccess oil in there or what.
ALSO WILL THE BACK FIRES HURT MY ENGINE?

thanks and any help would be great.

later Jay

03-05-2002, 07:22 PM
check your parking break it is probably engaged and stuck
i had a similar problem and it depended on which way my handle bars were turned as to how severe the backfire was. this is just my two cents and worth a shot
good luck

beerock
03-05-2002, 08:17 PM
Dod, the backfire has nothing to do with his parking brake. he said "i havent got it to run for ay lenght of time to check "

330ex man, are you sure the piston was installed correctly?

you say you are positive about everything.

I think maybe the timing could be off.

will the motor start with starting fluid?????

if it will you might have a fuel problem.

backfires normally have something to do with timing.

330EXman
03-06-2002, 04:42 AM
hey man ya i know the piston is instsalled correctly. all the rings gaps are 120 degrees from the other. im almost possitive that the timing is right too.

what i think is that that motor oil i pt on te sleeve, and piston rings had alitlle build up and was covering the park plug, this was making not fire correclty and causing it to build up to much gas and so on.

i did have it running for like 5 sec than it stalled.
and i had it going a few more times.

i know my wheeler is fussy about gas somtimes when there is very little gas in it it wont start, so maybe that is the problem why it wont start,

BUT WHY IS THE DAMN THING BACKFIRING ITS REAL REAL LOUD.
also will the backfiring hurt it in anyway?

03-06-2002, 09:14 AM
YOur jetting is wrong,,has to be,,,I had the same problem your having and all I did was add a pipe and airfilter to mine,,years ago. I did nothing to the motor,,also the quad was brand new,,so I'm thinkin it's a simple jetting issue..good luck.

Atomic83
03-06-2002, 09:25 AM
I'm no expert but it sounds like jetting to me too.

max400EX
03-06-2002, 11:06 AM
Did you adjsut the valves after you did this work? make sure they are right also

02 Red Rider
03-06-2002, 11:09 AM
I will agree with that also. I shot a flame through my exhaust and backfired when I installed my pipe without jetting.

Jason

knighttime
03-06-2002, 11:36 AM
put in a bigger main jet

TRFOXX
03-06-2002, 01:10 PM
I had the same problem and it was the jetting also.

03-06-2002, 01:21 PM
I don't know about you guys but I think our friend 330exman,,has a jetting problem..what do you think???? :D

IF it's not your jetting then you probably have to much air in your tires...:huh :huh :blah

02 Red Rider
03-06-2002, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by Rico
I don't know about you guys but I think our friend 330exman,,has a jetting problem..what do you think???? :D

IF it's not your jetting then you probably have to much air in your tires...:huh :huh :blah

Actually it could be a loose dohickey inside of the cog assembly!:huh :devil

Scott
03-06-2002, 01:52 PM
Nope, look under his name, he's in Maine. He doesn't have enough anti-freeze in his blinker fluid.

250exen
03-06-2002, 02:46 PM
actually i think its the thinimagig in the whatumalcallit. the thinimagig should be in the younowwho if u know what i mean. and he needs to put the blinkerfluid in the whatyoumalcallit.
just my $.02
tj

330EXman
03-06-2002, 02:57 PM
hey guys

YOU WERE ALL WRONG!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

it ended up being a fuel problem. the jetting was perfect like i said. i know im from MAINE but im not a dumb ***. i know when to jet the damn thing.

but anyway its fixed and ready to roar i just need front tires now!

later dum dums τΏτ

Jay

03-06-2002, 03:20 PM
thats ok you still have
a 300ex nuff said

bwahahahahaahaha:D

JabberJaw
03-06-2002, 03:50 PM
If you are unfortunate enough to ride a Warrior...the parking brake has alot to do with the way the engine runs.

03-06-2002, 05:04 PM
hey jabberjaw thats what my friend rides and the parking break was making his backfire and all that it was is that the break was stuck

03-06-2002, 05:06 PM
by the way, we went out to grapevine lake today and raced
i gave him a 5 second headstart and still smoked him before i topped out in 5th on my stock 400ex