PDA

View Full Version : 450r question....

TRX450rRoostin
03-09-2004, 06:49 PM
i am kinda new to the atv sceen and i have a couple ?'s. When i start my 450 my headpipe glows red in like 2min, maybe less. Also when i start it up there is white smoke coming from the exhuast.....but then it stops after it warms up....does this mean its running lean? Is this normal? The bike is not broken in yet, it only has about 3 hours on it. Can anyone help me out?

Sportrax10
03-09-2004, 07:53 PM
So far after riding I have never noticed my head pipe glowing red, but it is EXTREMELY hot... Probably hotter then how my 400ex was...

The white smoke is probably just because of how cold it is. It will probably go away when it gets warmer.

TRX450rRoostin
03-09-2004, 08:15 PM
ok thanks a lot, i only noticed it because it was dark in my garage and then i turned the lights off and i noticed it was red

4fiddyR
03-09-2004, 08:31 PM
glowing red at idle in the dark is normal.

TRX450rRoostin
03-09-2004, 08:44 PM
ok thanks for the replies, haha i was getting scared!

exrider4406
03-13-2004, 07:41 PM
i was riding on the back of my buddies yfz450 one day and his coveralls just went up in flames. I jumped off the back, and he tried to get off but his left foot got stuck in the foot peg shifter area. the leg that was on fire got put out by his seat... any wayz right after i looked at his headpipe and it was cherry red. We`ve seen it red since then only once or twice. What is the problem?

sparky450AR
03-14-2004, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by exrider4406
i was riding on the back of my buddies yfz450 one day and his coveralls just went up in flames. I jumped off the back, and he tried to get off but his left foot got stuck in the foot peg shifter area. the leg that was on fire got put out by his seat... any wayz right after i looked at his headpipe and it was cherry red. We`ve seen it red since then only once or twice. What is the problem?

To make the pipe light, they make the pipe walls thin, so they glow. After hearing this story i am now personally scared. I will just hafta find a heat shield for any aftermarket pipe i buy.