PDA

View Full Version : If long travel front- what in rear?

dawnchris
03-09-2004, 06:26 PM
If you go with a long travel front suspension, (400EX) what do you do to the rear to compensate?

Tommy 17
03-09-2004, 07:11 PM
i rebuilt my rear stocker bc i was limited on cash...

if i had unlimited money i'd buy a long travel elka rear end... or a axis rear shock...

03-09-2004, 07:26 PM
revalved stock would be fine or a aftermarket shock and if u got the moeny a lonestar or rpm axle would set it off nice too.

dawnchris
03-09-2004, 07:58 PM
So the quad wouldn't be imbalanced with just a replacement aftermarket rear shock? I wondered if the difference of travel, front to rear would make it wierd?
How do you go about giving the rear similiar wheel travel?

03-09-2004, 08:15 PM
im not sure if u can get the same travel but if ur not soo budgeted go ahead and get the matching rear shock.

cdalejef
03-10-2004, 07:05 AM
Originally posted by dawnchris
So the quad wouldn't be imbalanced with just a replacement aftermarket rear shock? I wondered if the difference of travel, front to rear would make it wierd?
How do you go about giving the rear similiar wheel travel? No, it won't be unbalanced at all. Just recently Elka came out with a LT rear kit. People have been running LT on the front and standard on the rear for several years now with no drawbacks. But that new LT rear kit sure is nice. ;)

dawnchris
03-10-2004, 09:07 AM
Yea, I just read that review. Sounds sweet. I'm just trying to decide if the whole LT thing is worth the $$ over a regular setup with good shocks.

SnellCRP
03-10-2004, 10:26 AM
The limiting factor in the amount of travel that you can attain with the rear shock is the chain. When you have alot of rear wheel travel the chain can become extremely loose at times when the suspension is at full droop. Baja trucks have the same kind of rear suspension setup as the quads. The rear end of the truck is attached to the chassis through links which is like our swingarms. With the baja trucks instead of a chain to deal with they have to consider the driveshaft yolk. They are able to compensate for the travel with the use of a slip yolk, but we have no way to make our chains stretch/shrink when we need it so we are limited to a chain length that is a medium and works as best as possible in any suspension situation.

C29
03-10-2004, 12:16 PM
SO IN EVERYONES OPINION HOW MUCH BETTER IS THE LT REAR THAN SAY GETTING THE STOCK SHOCK REBUILT OR GETTING A STANDARD AFTERMARKET REAR SHOCK?

IS IT REALLY WORTH THE EXTRA CASH FOR THE LT REAR?