PDA

View Full Version : cranky starting??

onefiftyone2003
03-09-2004, 05:55 PM
I just bought a 440ex tonight and it's cranky starting but when it starts it's alright...after a few minutes of ideling it will quit could this be because of the jetting, spark plug?..it's got a brand new battery in it and i tested that it's reading 12 volts..
I need help ASAP!!!!!!!!!

03-09-2004, 07:24 PM
well sure it will quit. u gotta give it some gas every now and then. What kinda quad did u ahve before buceause i think ur ust not used to how it sounds.

onefiftyone2003
03-09-2004, 07:29 PM
my last quad was a yamaha blaster....i know theres a big difference...but it shouldn't just quit after a few minutes of ideling. i'm thinking it's the jets. Im going to check it all out tomorrow but if anyone else has any ideas of what couls be wrong.. post them..i need all the help i can get. thanx

onefiftyone2003
03-10-2004, 12:46 PM
come on somone on here has to know the anwer to my problem...im open to try anything bu ti need help asap.

03-10-2004, 02:57 PM
does it run fine? just adjust the idel screw up a little bit.

onefiftyone2003
03-10-2004, 05:24 PM
yes it ran awesome the other day. but then after a few minutes it would quit. I pulled it all apart tonight and i think i found the problem. I think the spark pulg and boot were no go so i tested them out and it turns out they wouldn't spark. so i went out and got a new plug and tried the boot (spark plug cap) again and it didn't work so tomorrow im going to get a new cap and see what happens.

Chef
03-10-2004, 05:31 PM
You really shouldnt let any bike idle for that long. Especially one with a built motor. But, it should idle for however long it takes. Mine would die after about 2 minutes when it was stock...I never thought anything of it though.

onefiftyone2003
03-10-2004, 05:34 PM
well thanx for the advice man but it should idle like you said. but now it won't start because of no spark. if anyone has any other ideas why it's not getting spark feel free to post
I need all the help i can get.
thanx again

Chef
03-10-2004, 05:41 PM
The one thing I hate most is when there is no spark....because I really have no idea what causes it. Could be a bad spark plug cap, a short somewhere, or maybe even a wire that just got unplugged?

onefiftyone2003
03-11-2004, 04:02 PM
yes not having spark is the worst....anyway I think i got the problem...the spark plug cap is screwd so im thinkink thats it
I checked all of the wiring last night and everything was good. So i went out today and bought a NGK spark plug cap and wire...I'll see if it does the trick whenever i get a chance...lol

miken
03-12-2004, 07:53 AM
Sounds to me like the plug is loading up? It's mean't to be raced, not ideled. When you hear it start to want to stall, pull in the clutch and peg the throttle a couple times. This should clear it out for another couple minutes of idel. Else, jet smaller on the pilot.
Mike -