PDA

View Full Version : give me your thoughts

red400ryder
03-09-2004, 12:38 PM
ok this is my story my bike was running good and strong before i had to tear the top end off the bike to get my spark plug hole fixed..i got it heli coiled..well i never took the cylinder off the bike cause there was no reason to cause rings seemed good since the bike ran strong..well i put the motor back together and everything is right..timings right, has spark and is getting gas but the bike just won't start up for anything..well i took my head up to the machine shop to ge it looked at thinking maybe my valves need some work which the guy told me they could use it but it shouldn't stop it from running and he says since i have it tore down to the cylinder that i should check my rings too since the bike won't start..i've checked compression with putting my finger over the spark plug hole which ain't the best way to do it but i mean i can feel compression from turning the motor over but it ain't like blowing my finger off or nothing but it seems strong..my question is this..in my opinion the bike was running great before i tore it down for the spark plug problem and now it won't even start..can it possibly be my rings even though the motor was strong and i never messed with the rings tearing it down..i just can't come to terms to believe thats the problem even though it could be but a friend of mine said it had not much compression when he was turning it over and when he tapped lightly on the exhaust valves and intake the motor was harder to turn over like it sealed it or something so thats one reason I have concluded its the valves needing work cause it ain't holding compression in the engine..so if anybody can give me there thoughts on this i would appreicate it very much..sorry it ain't shorter but any feedback will be great thanks madmike

red400ryder
03-09-2004, 02:00 PM
somebody out there must know something or have an idea to this please i'm desperate to ride my bike

woprs50
03-09-2004, 02:13 PM
are you sure you have your valves adjusted right ? if there to tight they wont close all the way and you will lose compression and it wont start

if you didnt take the jug off and it ran before it pretty much cant be the rings

red400ryder
03-09-2004, 02:24 PM
thanks for your time..umm we checked the valves to see if they needed clearance and they seemed good to go..all i can do is get a valve job done and see if it will run after the valves get redone and seated..cause i have never done a valve job on this bike and i've probably put over 5000 or 6000 miles on it maybe more in less than 2 years of riding it but i'll just see what happens but thanks again madmike

p.s. if anybody else knows something please feel free to say thanks

KY Woods Rider
03-09-2004, 05:49 PM
The first thing that came to my mind is that maybe the cam sprocket is one tooth off.

When you put the cam back in, did you make sure the marks on the cam sprocket were still lined up with the top of the head after the tensioner had been reinstalled?

If you didn't stick your finger or something through the tensioner hole to hold tension on the cam chain while lining up the sprocket marks with the top of the head, and you also forgot to make sure the marks lined up after the tensioner was installed (that's when you'd notice it was off by a bit), then you may have the sprocket one tooth off.

The reason this popped into my head right away is because it is one of the most common mistakes I've seen people make, and even a few very experienced people have made this mistake when trying to get a motor together in a hurry. With a high compression piston, it will usually go ahead and start, but it will be the worst sounding engine you've ever heard. With stock or near stock compression, it's common for them to not want to start.

Out_Sider
03-09-2004, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by KY Woods Rider
The first thing that came to my mind is that maybe the cam sprocket is one tooth off.

When you put the cam back in, did you make sure the marks on the cam sprocket were still lined up with the top of the head after the tensioner had been reinstalled?

If you didn't stick your finger or something through the tensioner hole to hold tension on the cam chain while lining up the sprocket marks with the top of the head, and you also forgot to make sure the marks lined up after the tensioner was installed (that's when you'd notice it was off by a bit), then you may have the sprocket one tooth off.

The reason this popped into my head right away is because it is one of the most common mistakes I've seen people make, and even a few very experienced people have made this mistake when trying to get a motor together in a hurry. With a high compression piston, it will usually go ahead and start, but it will be the worst sounding engine you've ever heard. With stock or near stock compression, it's common for them to not want to start.

thats what im think also

red400ryder
03-10-2004, 01:09 PM
yes we sure did..we even doubled checked the lines on the sprocket after everything was bolted up except for the valve cover and it was spot on and it still did nothing but turn over..i had got a friend to pull me around while i pop the clutch to get it to start but all i did was just turn over and fire but not start up at all..i'm stumped myself but heres another question umm i have been told with the timing off just a tooth it should start but if its actually off a tooth will it not start?

44oEX
03-11-2004, 02:09 PM
I don't want to make fun of you or any thing cause Im saing this in experience ( it happened to me ). Did you put the spark plug cap on? every time I set my valves I furget to put it on and then I think I mested up something then it hits me. Did you turn on the gas? did you have any gas? Is the kill switch on? ( probably it cause you have spark but maybe it only run a little. )

The only other thing it the timming but if you say it was good.
I would say ptu it back and try it again just to see. You have nothing to lose except time )

No it won't start if it's off one tooth. If I does you would have some trouble and it would run like crap.

red400ryder
03-12-2004, 08:12 PM
well i found my problem..i'm getting my motor bored and a new piston and rings.. the cylinder has alot of wear and so does the rings..so i'm getting that fixed and valves done and afterwards it should crank up and run like a charm sorry for all the time taken for something i should of knew..but thanks again later madmike

red400ryder
03-19-2004, 03:07 PM
well i've done it all..i got my motor bored got new piston and rings and valve job done..i set the timing and i know its right cause i doubled checked it..its getting gas and has spark..but all it still does is turn over and go boom.....boom...boom likes it wants to start but it won't..so i guess i really don't know what it could be..this is crazy..anybody got an idea..let me know..later madmike

red400ryder
03-19-2004, 03:08 PM
oh yea and i also adjusted the valves and still same thing so who knows you know?????

cals400ex
03-19-2004, 03:45 PM
i am wondering if it has something to do with the spark plug.

red400ryder
03-20-2004, 07:24 AM
maybe so..spark doesn't look too strong on it but not sure..but i do have a question since from what i have been reading from the forum....is it possible for my bike not to crank if its missing the plunger and spring thing that goes in the head cause i know mine are not there and i'm curious if that could be it..sounds stupid to ask but had to...please someone that knows for sure let me know what you know..thanks

44oEX
03-22-2004, 09:15 AM
well aftermarket cams don'T have the plunger but they don't have the decompresor. so that could be your problem. if is decompresses your motor every stoke it will never start.

red400ryder
03-22-2004, 08:58 PM
thanks 440ex..thats the answer i've been looking for..i'm goin to order a new plunger and spring and put it in and see what it does..thanks again for the help..later mike

44oEX
03-23-2004, 01:37 PM
no problem any time