PDA

View Full Version : need some mx riding advice

Out_Sider
03-09-2004, 11:45 AM
at my local track i seem to have troubles with landings, and clearing small doubles. for some reason i always let off before i get to the jump, and then hit the gas right as a lift off... and my landings suck. my front end always goes straight up. Can ya'll help me with this? These are the only things holding me back from getting good times..i can clear most of the big jumps, like tables tops, etc...but the small ones i always land on the face of the second jump..what am i doing wrong, and what can i do to correct it? thanks

darrell

muff
03-09-2004, 01:01 PM
dont stab the throttle as soon as you get to the jump, carry enough speed up to the jump so you only have to hit the throttle enough to keep the quad level in the air and allow the front end to drop a little bit if theres a sloped landing

Out_Sider
03-09-2004, 03:49 PM
so dont stab the throttle? aight. because i've almost wrecked numerous times because i landed so far back.. thanks muff

Silverfox@C&DRacing
03-09-2004, 04:24 PM
I have had the same problem, go like hell to the jump let off and then at the top of the jump I would stab the throttle sometimes it would kick me sideways and do all sorts of wierd things. Colby told me to stay in the gas and not blip the throttle at the jump and boy did that advice help a bunch :D

Pappy
03-09-2004, 04:28 PM
im just flat skeert of jumps:(

muff
03-09-2004, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
im just flat skeert of jumps:(

me to :( :p

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid68/pe573a8556227a8b482e59829e5a0aa50/fbc0ecca.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid68/pbcbfd59b067f072a73497bbca31f9684/fbc0ecef.jpg

Pappy
03-09-2004, 04:37 PM
this prolly the biggest double i ever hit. it was at the landing mx in easton maryland. it took me all day to get the nerve but once id id it i couldnt stop. its also the jump that finished off my back and i had to crawl into the house that night:( my son wasnt real good at follwing me and getting me in the air but its all i got

dirtmomma
03-09-2004, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by Silverfox@C&DRacing
I have had the same problem, go like hell to the jump let off and then at the top of the jump I would stab the throttle sometimes it would kick me sideways and do all sorts of wierd things. Colby told me to stay in the gas and not blip the throttle at the jump and boy did that advice help a bunch :D

This sounds like good advice :) thats pretty much what i do, & have told my son to do he was having the same problem w/ letting off right before the jump, I just keep the throttle on.........I think LOL i've had pretty good luck w/ landing & alll SO FAR :eek:

Out_Sider
03-09-2004, 05:45 PM
yea...landing too far bak is no fun! lol. how do i get the nose to go down tho??? thats another problem i have

muff
03-09-2004, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by Out_Sider
yea...landing too far bak is no fun! lol. how do i get the nose to go down tho??? thats another problem i have

lean forward, pull in the clutch and hit the rear brake

K_Fulk
03-09-2004, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by Out_Sider

You could also try hitting it a gear higher on the small jumps and it will keep your frontend from coming strait up.

1fastprototype
03-10-2004, 08:46 PM
pick one gear higher and hold a steady throttle, once you have it made back off on the throttle to bring front down.Be preppared to down shift but don't land on the shifter, makes for broken cases and bent shifter shafts. Then when you get comfortable you can choose a lower gear and controll the machine with all throttle thru the entire jump. Don't be afraid of alittle body english to put your machine where you want it.Where you put your body also has alot to do with how the machine takes off and flys, stay loose

Fitzy
03-11-2004, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by muff
me to :( :p

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid68/pe573a8556227a8b482e59829e5a0aa50/fbc0ecca.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid68/pbcbfd59b067f072a73497bbca31f9684/fbc0ecef.jpg

i wish i had jumps like that around here:eek2:

Berry
03-11-2004, 07:01 PM
go fast up too the jump!! it is ALWAYS better too over jump than it is too underjump! its ok if you overjump the first few times just too know that you CAN get over and so you will know how much throttle too give it too clear it clean.

ROOSTINWARRIOR
03-11-2004, 09:07 PM
Try this website lots and lots of really good tips!

www.douggust.com/content/ask_menu_shocks.htm

I know its the wrong section but just go to the categories good tips!:D

LT250Racer609
03-21-2004, 11:19 AM
like everyone else said...carry enough speed as your comming up to the jump...estimate if thats enough speed or not to clear the double...as soon as u are almost ontop of the jump or even a little before the jump...hit the throttle..about half throttle..this will give u a better secure lift and most of the times keep you fairly level, however if u find your front end coming up on you, you might be pulling up which u dont need to do...you could also hit your rear brakes if your in about 3rd gear or higher to lower your front end