PDA

View Full Version : TRX 450R Top End Rebuild ????

timscherer
03-09-2004, 06:58 AM
I would like to know if anyone is familiar with how often the top end needs rebuilt on the Honda TRX 450r.

I was told from a Honda Service Manager that you need to rebuild the top end after 20hrs of use and so on. I guess once the 3 piston rings wear, the piston becomes sloppy inside the bore and gulds the cylinder walls.

When performing a rebuild, if the piston is in good shape, can you just replace the rings? Or, do you need to replace the piston with the rings as a set?

Any additional information will help, thanks.

Tim

greghall
03-09-2004, 07:13 AM
That is not true lool in your owners booklet,Im pretty sure that the oil gets changed every 20 hours (not saying im going to change mine every 20 hours about every 4 rides)but you should not have to rebiuld it at 20 hours.The motor is different than the CRF, the piston is made for reliablity & longevity.While the CRF piston is made for less friction & RPM You will have to do more to the CRF motor.But I know people who dont touch there motor for several seasons.If its not broke dont fix it JUST MAINTAIN.

MX#9
03-09-2004, 08:00 AM
I'm with Greg on this one. If your obsessive about changing your oil and keeping your air filter clean,you can expect years of service out of the engine,not hours.

Honda
03-09-2004, 08:21 AM
I believe the manual says to break it in for 20 hours? Rebuild every 20 hours?!! NOT!

That would mean, if you rode 3 hours every time you went out, you would rebuild every 6 or 7 rides.

Based on my Calculations, that would be a rebuild every 2 tanks of gas under average use.

I will probably rebuild mine once a season. If it even needs it then.