PDA

View Full Version : +2 teeth + HRC Kit = Snapped Grab Bar!

Honda
03-08-2004, 04:27 PM
I finally got to ride again this weekend. I recently installed the HRC kit and a 40 tooth rear sprocket.

The gearing is now Perfect in my opinion, Plenty of top end, yet can take the slow stuff without a lot of clutch action.

One very minor problem though, I can't keep the front end on the ground. I was drag racing another 450R and a 250R with a 330 kit, As soon as the clutch dropped she'd stand on her rear end, Oh and Slippen the clutch? No that ain't helpin, just comes up a lil slower. It came up so hard during our lil race, it snapped the grab bar off, taking the tail light with it. By the way, that 330R didn't have much, even for the stock 450.

Anyway, I think a Plus One inch Swinger is going to be Mandatory, maybe two. It ain't no fun comin out of a corner in the woods with your thumb on the gas and having the front end start climbing.

I don't think any of this is due to a light front end, I just think this machine has so much torque it's crazy! O.K. Honda could have put a longer swing arm on it also. That would be nice.

I could ride a wheelie on it for 3 city blocks, LOL!

C41Xracer
03-08-2004, 05:14 PM
No offence but the 330r is way faster than your 450r.The 450r is a fast quad but not that fast.

MIA450R
03-08-2004, 05:16 PM
Thanks for the info Honda. I've been waiting patiently to make this change, just not sure whether to swap front or rear sproket. I ran a 16T front on my 416EX, and it was perfect as the quad was able to pull it. But I dont want to lose too much top end on the 450R....hence my hesitation to go 13T front.

Ok....so what is stock gearing on the R?

I know 1 tooth up front equals about 2-3 teeth in the rear, so which is making *LESS* of a difference, the 13T front or a 40T rear?

Thanks

dn1911
03-08-2004, 07:30 PM
your stock gearing is a 14/38 if you go down 1 in the front it make a noticible difference. the front sproket is the same as a CRF 450 dirt bike and the rear sproket i have heard is the same as a 400ex. the front i have tested to be true but the rear i don't know yet. top speed loss isn't going to be all that noticible ith the gear changes unless you spend alot of time at top speed but i still don't feel it would be worth worring about. the quad performs much better ith the new gearing.

Chef
03-08-2004, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by C41Xracer
No offence but the 330r is way faster than your 450r.The 450r is a fast quad but not that fast.

I've out horsepowered alot of 330R's on the track on my EX...why couldn't this 450R be the same way?

C41Xracer
03-08-2004, 07:41 PM
on the track i can believe that because iv been beat by 400ex's.The only reason was arm pump.From what i reed it was a drag race.Am i wrong?

Charlie

330R PowerValve
03-08-2004, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by Chef
I've out horsepowered alot of 330R's on the track on my EX...why couldn't this 450R be the same way?

YOU WHAT? I would like to see your 400EX pull 68HP. I have both quads and the 450r would get it's ***** spanked by my 330R. Were you racing on ICE:D ???:rolleyes:

exrider44
03-08-2004, 09:20 PM
My question is the 450r with crazy motor work will it get spanked by your 330 powervalve?

MIA450R
03-08-2004, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by dn1911
your stock gearing is a 14/38 if you go down 1 in the front it make a noticible difference. the front sproket is the same as a CRF 450 dirt bike and the rear sproket i have heard is the same as a 400ex. the front i have tested to be true but the rear i don't know yet. top speed loss isn't going to be all that noticible ith the gear changes unless you spend alot of time at top speed but i still don't feel it would be worth worring about. the quad performs much better ith the new gearing.

Thanks for the stock #'s.

I understand the effect of the 13T front, I just wanted to know if going with a 40T rear would be better than the 13T. The 40T would make 2/3 of the increase in the holeshot that the 13T would....so I wasnt sure if that made enough of a difference in the tall gearing. Likewise, the 40T rear would drop top end 1/3 less than the 13T front....

Anyone else besides Honda go with a 40T rear, or a 39T rear?

Chef
03-08-2004, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by 330R PowerValve
YOU WHAT? I would like to see your 400EX pull 68HP. I have both quads and the 450r would get it's ***** spanked by my 330R. Were you racing on ICE:D ???:rolleyes:

Nope, not ice, actually a TT/Oval track...you know how those are made of clay? :macho

And besides, not to start a my R is faster than your R fight, but, if it really came down to me beating you, my R would more than likely not even break a sweat. :eek2: :blah:

lukester720
03-08-2004, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by MIA450R
Thanks for the stock #'s.

I understand the effect of the 13T front, I just wanted to know if going with a 40T rear would be better than the 13T. The 40T would make 2/3 of the increase in the holeshot that the 13T would....so I wasnt sure if that made enough of a difference in the tall gearing. Likewise, the 40T rear would drop top end 1/3 less than the 13T front....

Anyone else besides Honda go with a 40T rear, or a 39T rear?

I have the 39t on mine and it works fine for what I use it for. Mostly trail riding, but have been flat dragging and riding the mx track some.

Honda
03-09-2004, 08:14 AM
MIA450R,
Going with a 13T front sprocket would equal a 41t rear. A 40 tooth rear is slightly higher than the 13 tooth front.

Stock gearing is 14t front and 38t rear.

I don't know, but 13t front might be too much. Would definatly need a longer swingarm. I can't nail it in the corners as it is, the front end just wants to pop up.

If you can keep the front end down, holeshots should not be a problem.

Also, is it just me, or does the new -R- hate to powerslide?

Doibugu2
03-09-2004, 08:25 AM
Originally posted by Chef
Nope, not ice, actually a TT/Oval track...you know how those are made of clay? :macho

And besides, not to start a my R is faster than your R fight, but, if it really came down to me beating you, my R would more than likely not even break a sweat. :eek2: :blah:

Always have to have something faster!:D

Must be nice.

Honda
03-09-2004, 08:40 AM
My -R- may be slower..... So what, I ride better than you do.... I would still win!

:huh

sparky450AR
03-09-2004, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by Honda
I finally got to ride again this weekend. I recently installed the HRC kit and a 40 tooth rear sprocket.

The gearing is now Perfect in my opinion, Plenty of top end, yet can take the slow stuff without a lot of clutch action.

One very minor problem though, I can't keep the front end on the ground. I was drag racing another 450R and a 250R with a 330 kit, As soon as the clutch dropped she'd stand on her rear end, Oh and Slippen the clutch? No that ain't helpin, just comes up a lil slower. It came up so hard during our lil race, it snapped the grab bar off, taking the tail light with it. By the way, that 330R didn't have much, even for the stock 450.

Anyway, I think a Plus One inch Swinger is going to be Mandatory, maybe two. It ain't no fun comin out of a corner in the woods with your thumb on the gas and having the front end start climbing.

I don't think any of this is due to a light front end, I just think this machine has so much torque it's crazy! O.K. Honda could have put a longer swing arm on it also. That would be nice.

I could ride a wheelie on it for 3 city blocks, LOL!

LOL...that sucks man...maybe thats why honda geared it so high?? Sounds like a swingarm is needed or forward extended a-arms

Honda
03-09-2004, 04:07 PM
LOL...that sucks man...maybe thats why honda geared it so high?? Sounds like a swingarm is needed or forward extended a-arms

I thought the Same thing! LOL!!!

You really think +1 A-Arms would help! I am not too sure. I think it would still lift. LOL!

:eek2: