PDA

View Full Version : A few Performance Parts Questions

Quad18star
03-08-2004, 03:19 PM
Well First Off , I know I should do the Jetting and the Cam Mod to get a little better performance out of My YFZ . Also I plan On getting a pipe for it soon ... Either HMF , CT or Sparks exhaust . I ruled out the TC pipe ( even though I love it's looks) because I've heard its insanely loud and I have a good relationship with the neighbours and cops and plan on it staying that way . So What Pipe do you guys think I should got with ?? Its gunna be ridden mostly at the tarck and maybe a few times on the trails and XC races .

Next question is .... has anyone ever used Janssen products?? Right now they are offering a long travel a-arm and shock kit . Long travel a-arms and TCS shocks . I'm far from being an expert level racer , but I do want to compete with some top guys up here in Canada . Anyone know how well this setup works?? Janssen offers a Life Time garantee on their arms , even if you smack a tree . Anyone know how well the Janssen stuff works???

I've been reading about a few guys going with a Vortex Ignition . What are the benefits of this system ? How pricey is it ? And is it Really worth the money??

Next will be a Tire and Wheel . Actually this must be done before everything else because my stockers are studded up and I want to keep it that way . Ive been lo0oking at Hiper wheels with beadlocks and a set of Holeshot MXR tires . I run some hard packed tracks , but most are loamy/sandy with a few rocks . Am I better off to just go with an aluminum wheel with a beadlock or is the Hiper a good choice??

Nerf bars ..... X-factor pro pegs , Ac Pro Pegs or Gibson Pro Pegs???

Handlebars .... Pro Tapers or Tags??? And what style bend is a nice bend?? In the future I'm gunna replace the steering stem . Right now I find the bars to be about an inch too low and I'm 5'8".

Thanks for any replys and if you can post pics of any MX YFZ setup you might have concerning any of the topics ive touched upon , it would be appreciated .
Thanks.

RG #43
03-08-2004, 04:22 PM
For your pipes as the choices you have, I think HMF will be the best for keeping your neighbors happy. The sparks would be the best for power, although I'll admit to knowing no one with the CT.
There has been alot of hype on the Thunder Alley. I have heard he will build it to your needs, but one thing I wonder is if he R&D's each set up or is guestimating the results- Just for you TA owners: I am not bashing it-I have not bothered to look into it and it is something I am curious about.

I have heard lots of good on Janssens stuff but have never seen it in person, but I do have the TCS tripple rate comp adjust rezzies and so far they seem pretty good. I had elka's before and their craftmanship in appearance(elka's) IMO is still second to none, but so far I am liking the TCS alot better so far.

I too have looked into the ignition but personally do not feel it is worth it- that is something you will have to decide.

For rims and tires Hypers have a weight and durability advantage over conventional aluminum beadlocks.If there are alot of big rocks,hypers will be better. The price is what kept me from going that route. If you don't need brand spanking new,keep an eye on e-bay. There is often alum & hypers on there for good prices. I happened to get 2-full sets of omf's for the same price of one set of hypers and a full set of like new tires to boot. For tires I think Klaw mx's would be your best bet. With the rounder profile they will suit the sand/loam conditions and will last longer than the mxr's. I just picked up a set but havent gotten a tryout on them yet.

For Nerfs I would go with the X-factors due to the steel peg with alum inserts, I had the AC's and I was filing them every three months. I now have Raths with the IMS pegs and if you can spare the coin-go for those, they are platforms!

The bars again come to personal preference. I have the tag t-2's in gust/CR-high bend on stock= length lsr stem. I am 5'7 and it works for me but everyone is different. I have had Renthal fat bars and twin walls and like the T-2's the best. If you are going to an oversize bar on a stock stem,keep in mind the adapters will raise bar height. Somewthing you may want to look into is the rox handle bar rizers(sp) I bought some stuff off of DCI I think it was called in ONT that is a dealer/dist for them
You can see my set up in the yfz pic post.

Good luck and don't be afraid to call the manufactures and drill them with questions, thats what I did! Being Canadian you do not get to see alot of the product, I pretty much try and research as best as possible and then go buy the one with I feel has the best service,warranty,price. If it sucks, I get something else when I can afford it. And e-bay the old.

CTmxyfz
03-08-2004, 04:32 PM
I would run bugard over janssen i think. Give them a try.

Maxx_Action
03-08-2004, 04:38 PM
Yo...

CT is the bomb! I have one and love it! Tuneable, quiet or loud (your choice) and good quality. 469.00 for the pipe, needle, and jets...

Maxx

raptorrider
03-09-2004, 03:49 PM
A bud of mine has the TC pipe. Yes its loud. Probally just as loud as my Rap with the Alba w/ open end cap. Thats loud!!! Needless to say, I dont ride at my house, the neighbors wouldnt go for that!!

trx400ex
03-09-2004, 03:53 PM
Janssen is good stuff way better than burgard ive ran both

also all of those pipes are really really loud

Pappy
03-09-2004, 03:55 PM
pipe: go hmf and order a quiet core. if its a bit too loud you will have the QC and its easily installed.

nerfs: x-factor all the way. they fit, they work and are probably the best nerf on the market now.

bars: thats a personal preference.

rims: aluminum: burgard if not go hiper

janssen makes a decent product. im not a fan of tcs suspension but i dont think you will go wrong purchasing janssen. the warranty is a good selling point

powerstroke
03-15-2004, 10:01 PM
it sounds like you are leaning toward cross country racing and if so u might want to reconsider on the cam mod. the cam mod leaves a dip in the power between the low and mid range which is not something you want in cross country. Also i know long travel is all the rage nowadays but i was surprised when i called custom axis the other day. I asked them about long travel axis for XC and they told me i would see a 0-3% improvement over standard travel axis. they basically told me the yfz has plenty of travel as-is so save your money and use it on mods that will show a return. I run the HMF slip on and i am very happy with it. its noisy but not terribly so. good luck. Matt

RiPPiNiTuP7
03-15-2004, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
im not a fan of tcs suspension

:cuss: :mad:

jlhughes750
03-16-2004, 11:23 AM
I'd like to add some info here...

I researched a long time for a pipe that suited my needs!!

I wanted a good looking good performing pipe tht was NOT loud..

I found some info on Doug Dubach.. He's a multi time MX and SX champ in the US and Canada. He worked with Yamaha R&D to develop the first YZ400 back in the day. Now he's developing parts for the Yammi 4 strokes on his own.

He is owner of Dubach Racing in So. Cal.
He had some great insite and info on how to get the most ridable power outta these YFZ engines. His pipe the Dr.D SS pipe is awsome looking and sounds tight.

Its around 96-98 db and with a filter,proper jetting and the Dr.D pipe i was able to pull the holeshot this week on several 450R's other YFZ's and several R's. I am very happy with the exhaust and the price will beat all the others by a long shot.
hope this helps
later, J
I'll post s pic of it

jlhughes750
03-16-2004, 11:29 AM
a pics of the Dr.D pipe

He does not offer a head pipe. Theres no need for one for the type of racing I do. Pipes with headpipes are great for getting max power but there much better for dragracing. For smooth,roll on power I like the slip on for the YFZ's. I think Dubach may know something about these engines, so i choose to listen to him!!

spropson
03-16-2004, 11:32 AM
I have been running Janssen stuff for a long time and it is top notch. Currently I have the long gravel front end with quad rate Elkas and I have to say I have never ridden anything this plush. If your an MX rider I highly recommend this set up. If your a woods rider you may want to try Janssens standard MX-Tech stuff since the long travel only comes in +3.

For MX racing I have always been a big fan of grooved turfs. The MXR's have great forward traction but slide unpredictably in comparison. Plus the turfs can be grooved for the type of track your riding. I groove them into paddles for sand, a standard MX groove pattern for loamy tracks and leave them stock for hard pack. They dont wear real long but for the price, who cares. Up front I like to run the 20" MX holeshots.

spropson
03-16-2004, 11:35 AM
O' ya, almost forgot. I am currently running a full HMF system. I had conducted quite a bit of dyno testing and the Sparks and HMF system produce practically the exact same power curve when performing 4th gear fast acceleration runs. They are both good system in my opinion.