PDA

View Full Version : trail ideas

250exrder
03-08-2004, 02:42 PM
i just found some trials around my house ive been riding them for a while but i was wondering wut r some ideas to make trails more fun, ne elements i could add with a shovel or something, what do u guys add to ur trails

250EXpwns
03-08-2004, 03:27 PM
This doesn't have anything to do with trails but you could get some help from some friends and build a small(3-5 ft) ramp. I love hitting those little ramps! They're tons of fun! You could also build a practice mx track to build some skills. Just a few things...

250exrder
03-08-2004, 05:13 PM
yea i already have a mini track around my house with 3 15 ft doubles and 1 20 ft double, berms and stuff like that, the whole nine yards

250EXpwns
03-08-2004, 06:05 PM
Gosh you're lucky. I wish I could actually have that stuff. I live out in the middle of nowhere so I can ride all over the place without getting on pavement. Pretty cool.

KY Woods Rider
03-08-2004, 08:43 PM
Most of my trails are just the natural terrain through the woods with a couple field sections thrown in, but I have added a few things in some spots and I sometimes add to what is already naturally in place. Since I make all my own trails, the biggest thing I try to do is to wind the trails around so that I get a mix of everything the terrain has to offer, instead of just having a straight line through the easiest spots. So, if you have room, you may want to try making the trails wind around a bit more so you can include more technical areas. Also, I try to make alternate lines where possible. Even if you make an alternate line that's slower and can't be used for passing, it can still provide a high fun factor when riding alone because it's just something different.

If you have to work with what you already have, you can build a small jump or small whoops. The best way to make jumps that I've found is to find a place where there's a big natural hump in the ground and then just add some more dirt to it to form a jump. If you only have level ground to work with, covering a large log with dirt can make things a bit easier, just be sure to put enough dirt on it that it can't break loose and roll out when you hit it at high speed. You can also dig out some ditches across the trail, which you may prefer to wheelie over and that will fill with water for an extra fun factor when it rains.

Since I think really technical sections are the most fun, adding a few logs can be entertaining. Small logs (small enough to go over without bottoming on the frame) placed straight across the trail are fun while still being easy enough for most riders to cross without any problems. If you want a challenge, use a log that's large enough that you must hit it (preferably at fairly low speed) and use it as a jump to be able to make it over. Log hopping can be hard on quad parts though, so if you're worried about damaging something, just stick with logs that are small enough to just ride over. Placing the logs at an angle across the trail adds some more difficulty because you can't just slam into them and expect the quad to stay straight, they require slower speeds and will require an extreme amount of body english if you plan to hop over 'em.

I guess you could add some big rocks to the trail, but with the creek crossings I already have, I've never needed any more rocks:D.

If the trail is too wide to be challenging, add some logs or other brush along the sides of the trail to narrow it a bit.

If you ride the trail quite a bit, you will eventually end up with ruts and berms in the turns as well as some very large braking and accelaration bumps going into and exiting the turns. These can either be fun or annoying depending on your point of view, but I think they're fun.

brandonpeake
03-09-2004, 09:11 AM
so how much work u wanting to do, i dont know ur area but he gave u a good idea about making some new lines and try to make a small "break off" trail on that my come off the main trail and go thru some technical stuff the come back to it, now this is just me but i hate trails that u ride down then just come backup, unless they are really really long, but i like to try to make all of my trails loops so u dont just turn around and come back up the same trail but that cant always be done i got some trails that u go down then there is a loop then u go back out like u came in so its pretty cool also

So what type terrain are u riding?

250exrder
03-09-2004, 01:29 PM
im riding in woods with a small river going down it, there are some hills, a couple hill climps, not big tho, the trails are wide enuf for a truck, i was thinkin bout gettin all the kids around here with thier quads and we could have lap races back there... but alot of the sections of trails i still havent gone on cuz in order to enter them u have to go down a hill, and it was pretty steep so i thought i wuld get stuck down there so ill wait till all the snow melts to attack that trail

trikemoto85
03-10-2004, 09:04 AM
I agree with the log idea....kept me and my friends entertained for a few minutes ...... put some all over the trail...big small it dont matter....