PDA

View Full Version : Rear Hub

riverex
03-08-2004, 01:29 PM
MY REAR HUB KEPT COMING LOOSE I WOULD TIGHTEN BEFORE EVERY RIDE. SUNDAY IT ENDED STRIPING THE HUB. THE AXLE WOULD JUST SPIN. IT ONLY HAPPENS TO ONE SIDE. IS THERE A BETTER WAY TO KEEP THEM TIGHT. SHOULD I USE LOCK TIGHT OR NOT. JUST ORDERD A NEW HUB AND DON'T WON.T TO RUIN IT RIGHT OF WAY.

shamisc
03-08-2004, 01:32 PM
If you're talking about the wheel hub, there are holes in the axle that are made for installing cotter pins. Just tighten the $hit out of it and install a new cotter key. Also, turn your caps lock off before someone else sees that you have all cap letters!! Trust me, you don't want that!!;)

riverex
03-08-2004, 01:35 PM
I TRIED THAT AND IT ENDS UP GETTING LOOSE AND BENDING THE COTTER PIN.

shamisc
03-08-2004, 01:45 PM
Mine do the same thing. All I can tell you is when you get them tight, tighten them a little more. Mine would still do it after I cranked down on them, so I took the handle off of my floor jack and put it over the ratchet for leverage, and turned the nut about a 1/4 more. Now mine stay tight. Try using a little bit of blue or any removable type Loc-Tite.;) Hopefully this will help you.

JOEX
03-08-2004, 04:17 PM
The torque spec is 101# Make sure you grease them as well. I had the same problem until I torqued them correctly;)

03-08-2004, 05:21 PM
torque wrenches are for pussies.:blah: :macho