View Full Version : Best Mx Setup

C29
03-08-2004, 12:08 PM
WHAT DOES EVERYONE THINK THAT THE BEST SETUP (A-ARMS, SHOCKS, SWINGARM, ECT..) IS FOR MOTOCROSS RACING?

Paul400ex2002
03-08-2004, 12:19 PM
on a 400ex, i think the best is the LSR DC4 Long Travel A-arms with PEP Long Travel shocks, along with an LSR Axle and a PEP Rebuilt Rear Shock. I don't have a swingarm yet, but I hear that +1 1/4 is the way to go for the ideal mx setup. If you want any more info, let me know, I'll be happy to tell you about my setup.

slosh13
03-08-2004, 12:51 PM
The ideal setup I think would be a JB Swingarm +1 1/4, JB a-arms, RPM axle, and you have three choices of shocks to choose from that are the best IMO...PEP,TCS, and ELKA. To save yourself some money, I agree with Paul400ex2002 about getting the stock rear shock revalved. By doing this, the rear shock will perform just as good or if not better than a fully aftermarket one with half the costs. Hope this helps. If you want any more info, let me know, I'll be happy to tell you about my setup also.

03-08-2004, 01:06 PM
i think the best set up would be any top name lt a arms like lsr, roll design, gibson, or walsh and PEP or axis shocks... for a swinger i dont thing it maters as much but i would still get like an rpm, walsh or like maybe gibson.. BUT i like rpm the best because of ease of use and how easy it is to grease your bearing carrier.. for the rear shock PEP or axis..

Tommy 17
03-08-2004, 01:16 PM
the best on the market hands down no questions asked is the laeger pro trax t-pin front end... 2000+ $ for a-arms alone thou...

then u gotta use 19 1/4 long travel shocks axis or elkas or peps are the top 3 and all very close... but if it were me and money wan't a problem it'd be axis...

next in line would be walsh, then the gull wings like (rolls, jrd), then gibson...

for the rear i'd use a laeger or walsh swing arm with a ELKA LONG TRAVEL rear shock and linkage... best set up on the market for the 400ex...

if its a 250r run a laeger, walsh, etc 500 linkage

C29
03-08-2004, 02:30 PM
I WAS LOOKING AT THE LONESTAR LONGTRAVEL A-ARMS WITH ELKA LONG TRAVEL SHOCKS, OR MAYBE THE HOUSER OR GIBSON A-ARMS FOR THE FRONT END.

NOT SURE ABOUT THE SWINGARM, IM GONNA GET THE ELKA LONG TRAVEL REAR SHOCK. IF I GET THEM, DOES SOMEBODY MAKE A LONG TRAVEL SWINGARM OR IS IT JUST A DIFFERENT LINKAGE? AND HOW MUCH BETTER WILL THE LONG TRAVEL ELKA REAR SHOCK BE THAN IF I JUST HAD THE STOCK SHOCK REBUILT?

ALSO DOES ANYONE KNOW THE AVERAGE PRICING FOR THESE PARTS.

THANKS FOR THE INPUT, BY THE WAY ITS GONNA BE FOR A YAM. YZF 450.

03-08-2004, 02:32 PM
Real men race stock...:macho

gibson400ex
03-08-2004, 02:51 PM
3 best setups

walsh +2 a-arms,pep zps 8 click rezzies( big rezzies),walsh stem,walsh swingarm,pep zps rear shock.

Leager exactly like tommy 17 said.

Herrmann Racing +2 a-arms,elka elka race front shocks,herrmann steering stem,herrmann swinger,elka rear shock w/ elka linkage.