PDA

View Full Version : Key switch

miken
03-08-2004, 07:13 AM
I put a set of MX bars on my 300ex and don't really care about having the key switch. Will just connecting and leaving the red and black leads that used to connect to the keyswitch wires drain the battery? I know it leaves the solenoid energized and the starter will crank no matter what the position of the selector on the bars.
Thanks, Mike -

beak7707
03-08-2004, 07:54 AM
The only thing it should do is leave the neutral light on, if you still have your headlight. I have left my key on for quite a while before and it hasn't ever ran my battery down. I got rid of my bar plastic also instead of doing away with my key, I just drilled a hole in my tank shroud and placed the key switch there. I works great and is very easy to do, I know a bunch of people who run theres that way.

TeamTaylorRace
03-08-2004, 08:07 AM
I also removed the handle bar plastic. I drilled a hole near the gas tank and put my key there. the key has been there for almost 2 years and, I haven't had a problem with it.

miken
03-08-2004, 08:09 AM
Could you explain the location you used a little better. Maybe I'll try that?
Mike -

TeamTaylorRace
03-08-2004, 08:13 AM
If your looking at the side of your wheeler it is Right underneath where your handlebars are.

tonight I will try to post a pic of mine to show you what I am talking about

K_Fulk
03-08-2004, 08:52 AM
I know i have a 400 but it works the same as the 300. Just make sure its far enough forward that its in front of the tank where you have room behind the plastic. You can see my keyswitch under the bars on the side of the plastic.

miken
03-08-2004, 10:50 AM
Great thanks guys, that sounds like a better idea.
Mike -

2004TRX450R
03-08-2004, 05:39 PM
You will defineately want it on some kind of switch or you will run your battery dead. I have seen bikes run the batteries dead over the weekend with the keys left on. If nothing else put it on a toggle switch or something and mount that to your plastic somewhere.

quad_quazy
03-10-2004, 05:04 PM
If you get rid of the swith on the bars you are going to have to use the key to turn it off. That will eliminate you leaving the key on and draining the battery. All you have to do is buy a 3 position waterproof swith for the headlights and mount it on the headlight housing right above the headlights. Then cut the wires from the kill switch and solder them together and heat shrink, or twist them and wrap with tape. Then you'll never accidentally hit the kill switch and kill the motor while riding. And no twisting these wires does not leave the system energized, that is controled by your key. If you leave the key on it runs electricity through everything including the ignition module. Turning the key off kills all power completlly. My buddy and I have been running this setup for 3 years and haven't had a bit of problems.

quad_quazy
03-10-2004, 05:10 PM
that is a good idea for a place to move the key and cheaper than a billet clamp with keyhole. You really do need to keep a key, especially if it sits for any period of time before riding (couple of weeks or more).

miken
03-15-2004, 09:44 AM
Thanks guys for the relocation idea. A 1 inch forstner drill bit and 10 seconds later, problem solved.
Appreciate it,
Mike -