PDA

View Full Version : Stock chain stretched over an 1" in one ride?

nikejoe
03-08-2004, 06:17 AM
I was riding at lbl this weekend and stopped for a break. The guys with me noticed my chain was really loose. We limped it back to camp to adjust it. I adjusted it as far as it would let me, but the chain was way too loose and I had no more adjustment left??? BTW I run stock sprockets and they were tight and the chain was tight before that ride. I don't know what happened. I know they say wheelies and ramping stretch chains and I had been doing some wheelies, but it had to stretch over an inch, we ended up cutting a link out of my chain and it seemed to fit fine. Does this seem normal, could anything else cause this????:confused:

TeamTaylorRace
03-08-2004, 08:19 AM
Jack up the back of your wheeler and see if you can move your axle at all. One of my friends had his axle loosen up and his chain was really loose because of it. He ended up finding out that his bearings had been "eaten". They had been chewed up compleatly. Everytime he tightened his chain it was just pulling the left side of his axle more toward his motor. :eek:

03-08-2004, 08:45 AM
There's no waaay your chain stretched that far..

Your carrier bearings are toasted or you think your turning it far enough to take up the slack but your not..

Good luck.

nikejoe
03-08-2004, 06:52 PM
I'll take a look at the bearings! Will I be able to tell that the axle is cocked in the carrier???

nikejoe
03-09-2004, 02:54 PM
That's what it is! When you look at the back fenders and the axel do not line up. The axel is pulled foward on the chain side. Are these called axel bearings?, rear carrier bearings or what??

03-09-2004, 04:46 PM
axel bearings...your carrier might be cooked too now that you rode with it messed up like that./..take the carrier out & if its all mangled up then its time for a new carrier...if its fine you just need new bearings & dust seals....bets place yto find your parts forthis project is ebay./....do not go to the dealer

nikejoe
03-09-2004, 06:20 PM
Is there any certain brand or kind of bearing better than others??? I will get them off e-bay - seems like that's where I get everything anymore. But some cost $10 and some are around $20. Is there that much difference in bearings??? If there is I will get the better ones, just curious????:(

03-09-2004, 06:41 PM
no..I got mine off ebay too & they are holding up great (package deal with sealed bvearings & dust seals $25.00 shipped)...just make sure the ones you get off ebay are sealed ;)