PDA

View Full Version : Dirt Bike Seat Height

K2Snow
03-08-2004, 12:12 AM
I've asked this question before on other websites and I never seem to get a decent answer. I'm 5'3'' and I want a dirtbike. Do NOT want an 80. I'm pretty light, so a 2 stroke 125 or a 4 stroke 250 would be fine. Any way to lower the seat height? I rode a CRF250R today and loved it, except I had to have somebody else start it. I put it into gear, jumped on and rode off all in one quick motion. Whenever I wanted to stop I had to jump off the thing and hold it up from the side! Thanks.

jcv400ex
03-08-2004, 07:38 AM
How do you think RC rides a dirt bike!? Of course there is, you'll need to cut the subframe to lower the seat heighth. Call a suspension company like Pro Action, and they hook ya up.

03-08-2004, 08:42 AM
well I have a yz 125 and the seat height was a little to high so I lowered the suspension a few clicks. Now its fine. do that or cut out some of the seat foam and you should be all set.:D

ScrnNmsSUCK
03-08-2004, 01:01 PM
When i started out on mine the seat was way to high. I just got use to riding it and grew into it. Even tho i did fall and break my foot and knee my first time out.

jcv400ex
03-08-2004, 01:20 PM
Neither one of those replies will do it for you.......don't just "deal with it" or you will get hurt.......and softening the suspension isn't a good way to offset a high seat. Tune the suspension to your weight. And cutting the seat foam.....no explaination needed.

Shortening the subframe is a common practice for dirt bike guys, it isn't a big deal.

hondafox440
03-08-2004, 02:47 PM
At 5'3 and "light" you are the right sized for an 80. Do you have any expierience on a bike?

rider250ex
03-08-2004, 02:53 PM
get a kx100

K2Snow
03-08-2004, 03:28 PM
How much will shortening the subframe lower the bike? Could a dealer do this for me and if so about how much? Thanks for all the info so far. I do not want anything less than a 2 stroke 125 or equivalent. I have experience with bikes, but very little. I know I will be able to handle the power of a CRF250 if I can just get used to the height of the bike.

hondafox440
03-08-2004, 03:37 PM
At your size and expierience I would suggest otherwise, but you seem to have your mind made up and I don't feel like arguing.

Cutting the subframe also requires modifying the shock so when you bottom out you don't snap the fender off. When you cut the subframe, you obviously have to weld it back together (you need a TIG since it's aluminum). If you are light you will need to get softer springs as well, and probably have the suspension revalved to match the springs. I don't think a dealer would do the subframe for you, but a machine shop could.

03-08-2004, 03:55 PM
i think the rm 125s seat heighth is lower than the hondas 125 is ... why dont you go up to your local suzuki dealer and see if you can get on an rm 125??? just a thought:)

TheRedRebel17
03-08-2004, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by member
i think the rm 125s seat heighth is lower than the hondas 125 is ... why dont you go up to your local suzuki dealer and see if you can get on an rm 125??? just a thought:)

Lower the subframe, cut the seat foam, lower the suspenion.

K2Snow
03-08-2004, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by hondafox440
At your size and expierience I would suggest otherwise, but you seem to have your mind made up and I don't feel like arguing.

Cutting the subframe also requires modifying the shock so when you bottom out you don't snap the fender off. When you cut the subframe, you obviously have to weld it back together (you need a TIG since it's aluminum). If you are light you will need to get softer springs as well, and probably have the suspension revalved to match the springs. I don't think a dealer would do the subframe for you, but a machine shop could.

i appreciate the advice, but i know I will grow out of an 80 way too fast. how much would all of the mods you mentioned cost? i don't wanna have to spend a fortune on lowering the thing, they already cost enough. some guys on another forum reccomended the CRF250X w/ electric start. Geared a little lower for traisl which will help with the sand riding I do. Starting won't be a problem and everyone says I can get used to a taller bike. I am fine once I start riding. I think just adjusting the suspension and cutting the seat foam might be enough. Thanks for all the info and please keep it coming!

Texan32
03-09-2004, 08:56 AM
Snow, you are not making any sence! First, you say you don't want an 80 cuz you will grow out of it too quick. BUT, you are willing to chop a 125. WHY? Won't you "outgrow" the chopped 125 just as quick?

Unless....maybe you mean that you will outgrow the power of an 80. In which case, you APPARENTLY have no experience riding a new 85. I an 5'10" tall and about 185lbs. My wife's CR85Expert (before we sold it) had more balls than my 400 ever will! It woul lift the front tire in 3rd gear, with ME on it, just by blipping the throttle.

If you are just a growing young boy and are wanting a bike, DO NOT put the money into chopping a 125! Get you a used 80/85. Learn on that. Then, when you are big enough (no crudeness intended), THEN upgrade to a 125. If you don't hink you will grow anymore, give some serious thought to a 85 Expert (same as 85, but with taller suspension and tires)

just friendly advise

hessianmx111
03-09-2004, 02:23 PM
i think a 125 would suit your perfectly just cut a lil foam out of the seat if you want to be a lil lower to the ground. i had a kx100 and it was a fast bike but riding it just wasnt comfortable when i was like 5'4 it was just too scrunched up feeling and the length of the bike is too short.when i got my 250f i could barely tip toe on it i was 5'4 now im 5'6 and its perfect for me its still a bit of a reach but its nothing major. as long as your comfortable while riding it man i say go for it and get a bike. if your going for a new 125 go with a yamaha they are the best all around stock bike but if you go for a 250f any bike will do you good they are all almost equal.

hondafox440
03-09-2004, 02:58 PM
I agree with Texan. How old are you K2? If you don't have any expierience on a bike it's much better to learn on a shorter one. It almost sounds like you would be embarassed to ride an 80. Don't be. I have a ton of respect for people who are faster than me, especially if they are on a smaller bike. At a practice track I (and like 3/4 of the field) got passed by a kid on a KX65. Just goes to show you you don't need a big bike to be fast.

Bikes are a lot different then quads. With quads, a lot of the time how fast you can go is goverened by the machine, like how wide it is, what suspension work you have done, etc. With bike, it is A LOT more of the rider that determines how fast one can go in certain terrain.

If the bike is too tall for you, you will struggle, especially when you are learning. Riding a tall bike in sand just compounds (untill you get good). It will be much easier to learn on an 80. You will get frustrated on the 125, and it will be harder to learn the basics (riding position, turning, etc) since the bike is too big.

K2Snow
03-09-2004, 03:18 PM
honda440, i think that's what it is. i'm 18, an adult... and i feel like riding an 80 would make me look dumb. even the description on honda's web site describes it as a setup for kids. I've ridden the CRF250R and the power seems perfect. I feel comfortable riding it, just don't feel comfortable when I stop. I figure with a little adjustment that is something I could get used to. I made the mistake of buying an underpowered quad, don't wanna make the mistake again. I feel more comfrtable on my buddy's raced out ATC250R. Three wheels and A LOT more powerful and I feel so much more comfortable riding it even in the dunes. My 300EX is way underpowered. Fortunately, I only weigh 120 pounds and I can keep up with anybody on any quad. I've ridden every class of quad except the Banshee and none of them do the trick. Texan, I was referring to growing out of the power, not the physical size of the bike. I'll be lucky to grow another 2 or 3 inches and I am done. And no, I'm not a growing young boy :p I've noticed a lot of people (including people on other forums) keep recommending the 85. Physical size I am sure would be perfect, but the power isn't gonna cut it. I've even ridden a KX250, that thing had some balls and was a blast to ride. With my weight, wheelies came naturally and I found the front wheel hard to keep down. I'm playing it safe and not getting a 250, and settling for a 125 ;) Thanks again for all the input, everybody has been really helpful.

'03'300ex'er
03-18-2004, 09:47 PM
jcv400ex your pic shows cutting the frame in back would'nt you have to do something to the front also? just asking cause i have a height problem also, and was thinking about trading for a kx125 but seat height is like 42". THANKS