PDA

View Full Version : Raced a stock Raptor Today.

2manycrashes
03-07-2004, 06:23 PM
Not much info, raced a stock raptor today. Both had stock tires on a slightly muddy road. In 100 yards, I had him by at least 10 bike lengths. Once the raptor hit 3rd gear, it held it's own though. Me 210lbs- Raptor owner 240. No incline.

Not talking trash or anything, just to give people an idea of the relative speed. I think with a pipe, airbox and jetting it would be a very close race though. At that point, I think the deciding factor would be whoever got the holeshot.

Anyways, not trying to start a flame war.... Just providing feedback to those who are looking at 450R or raptor.... In reverse, there was no competition- The raptor had me by 100 yards.

250EXking
03-07-2004, 06:41 PM
ROFL, it took me a minute to figure out why the raptor won in reverse, then it hit me and i was like CRAP, 450r has no reverse.

Barely legal
03-07-2004, 09:43 PM
Thanks for the info. Good to know how the new Raptor 350 runs.

dpizz450
03-07-2004, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by Barely legal

i thought he was tlakin about the 660??

exrider44
03-07-2004, 09:59 PM
I think he is..the new 350 is a warrior i think with different plastics.

hndabestonearth
03-07-2004, 10:06 PM
I'm pretty sure he was being sarcastic, but that raptor 350 is a joke. It won't even hang with a 400ex. I thought if they would re do the warrior they could put a better engine in it.

2manycrashes, your name is learning2fly on atvconnection right?

2004TRX450R
03-07-2004, 11:31 PM

Where in his post did he say anything about it being a 350?:huh :D

twisted threads
03-07-2004, 11:39 PM
Raptor 350 or 660 it dont matter, its going to be the same outcome........TRX450r out front;) :D

kwatts400
03-08-2004, 10:07 AM
I took mine out for the first time yesterday and lined up against my friends 300r and a few 400ex's. If I got a bad start I would lose against the 300r, other then that I had him by about a bike length.

trueblue450
03-08-2004, 11:21 AM
a raptor can hold its own with a yfz.. i wouldnt see it too diff from the 450r?? :confused:

sparky450AR
03-08-2004, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by trueblue450
a raptor can hold its own with a yfz.. i wouldnt see it too diff from the 450r?? :confused:

your right....10 bike lengths is bull****! Sorry, maybe he had a bad run or somethin....

twisted threads
03-08-2004, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by sparky450AR
your right....10 bike lengths is bull****! Sorry, maybe he had a bad run or somethin....

look what he has done to his trx450r though.. I know that 10 bike lengths is a litte far but I have rode both bikes before and the HRC trx450r honda is AWSOME!:cool:

sparky450AR
03-08-2004, 02:15 PM
i see what he has done to his bike...and i own a 450R and have ridden a raptor.....if you look on bluetraxx a video shows the yfz 450 and the raptor are very close.....and the trx and the yfz are supposed to be very close also...so if an hrc kit and a pipe get the 450r almost 10 bike lengths on the yfz....well i dunno, i guess that would be great!!

i see two maybe 3 bike lengths

joe1l
03-08-2004, 02:17 PM
I definately think its possible, after all he said the rider of the raptor is 30lbs more than him, plus the extra weight of a raptor. that is a good 70- 80lb difference in the race, the stock raptor only makes like 37hp which is quite close to the stock hp of a 450r, not to mention a hopped up 450r. When it all comes down to it, there is no reason why the raptor should win, unless it had some mild mods. Sounds right to me!
:)

sparky450AR
03-08-2004, 02:43 PM
the more i think about it, the more it seems possible....because i could beat raptors with my 416 and it prolly weighed as much as a raptor....but ten bike lengths is still a lot....i cant wait to race one.

raptorrider
03-08-2004, 06:26 PM
Well, I know you Honda guys arnt gonna like this too much!!

I have a piped Raptor. Its been properly jetted and has a tooth less on the front sproket.
My bud has a 450R with a sparks pipe, jetted, with 18" tamers on beadlocks.

I pulled from it from the get-go. It really surpized me how hard I pulled on the 450. I have another bud with a YFZ, cam mod, and a slip on (TC Racing style Supertrapp). Its also on 18" Tamers.
I was starting in second and by the time I shifted out of second he was a good 15-20 yards out.

I will have to run the 450R again, since now it has the HRC cam and an FCR on her!! Prolly get spanked now!!!

4fiddyR
03-08-2004, 06:43 PM
I just got rid of my 01 Craptor and it was pretty modded. 02 gears, Hinson Basket, Je 10:75.1 piston, stage 2 hotcam, Full Yoshi system, proper jetting, Pro design air induction kit, HD valve springs. 13/42 sprockets. (I had stock in one way clutches)
I rode it alot when it wasn't broke, and I honestly don't think it would touch my R. right now my R is pretty stock too.
I know this will fire the Yammy guys up but I'm giving my honest opinion, nothing more.
In a 300yd dash I think my R will slay it by about 3-4 bike legnths, but if it was a topped out mile race or something I think my Raptor would have pulled away.

sparky450AR
03-08-2004, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by raptorrider
Well, I know you Honda guys arnt gonna like this too much!!

I have a piped Raptor. Its been properly jetted and has a tooth less on the front sproket.
My bud has a 450R with a sparks pipe, jetted, with 18" tamers on beadlocks.

I pulled from it from the get-go. It really surpized me how hard I pulled on the 450. I have another bud with a YFZ, cam mod, and a slip on (TC Racing style Supertrapp). Its also on 18" Tamers.
I was starting in second and by the time I shifted out of second he was a good 15-20 yards out.

I will have to run the 450R again, since now it has the HRC cam and an FCR on her!! Prolly get spanked now!!!

lol

ok if you own a honda the 450r won....if you own a yamaha all the yamahas won! sound fair?

2manycrashes
03-08-2004, 07:40 PM
Guys, I was just trying to provide some real info. As several people have pointed out (myself included), the race was in no way shape or form - a fair race. While the raptor has 46% more displacement from the 450R, I had the mods to compensate.

13T- Helps the bottom end in a big way.
HRC kit- Makes it faster (sorry I'm not a motorhead)
190 main, open airbox and full exhaust.

There were 3 of us riding, all friends who work together. You ask how does this guy know the weight of his friends. Easy, we are on one of those "shame dynamic" things at work to lose weight.
Weight loss by guilt and embarassment.... It's working for me....

I'm not trying to knock anyone's quad, on the contrary. I didn't see the actual quad distance as I was in the lead and there was no way in hell that I was going to look back at that speed. But my other buddy started us and gave the bike length differences. We raced about 10 times to be sure. I'm still adapting to the new power after owning a 400ex. Another fine quad in it's own right.

I just appreciate when people actually post real results so that other owners/new buyers can really make a halfway informed decision about what quad or mods to buy. The stock raptor is a fairly common quad with a significant amount of power that a number of users can relate to and use as a control factor.

For those of you who choose to believe the results, I hope this helps or was informative. I have no reason to brag or talk up my machine. I am very pleased by it. For those of you who choose not to believe, wouldn't you think I could come up with a better story than this? Like maybe 30 or 40 bike lengths????

PS: Two weeks ago, I got beat by about 2 quad lengths by Piped YFZs at Lil Sahara, OK. I was running sand sharks in the drags and could not get the hookup. Every quad out there with decent sand tires. Haulers etc. Took me off the line. Every drag race was a game of catchup... Anyways... Selling the sand sharks and putting the extreme hauler 9 paddles on. Once again.... Mods will have play a big factor. I'm hoping the new paddles will give me the 2-3 quad lengths and or the holeshot that I will need to take the YFZs. My quad is not unbeatable, however it is very close to a piped YFZ. I just haven't had a chance to race one on dirt to know for sure.

lukester720
03-08-2004, 11:16 PM
My 400ex is piped, no lid, and wb rev box. I also weigh 270 and in a 300ft flat drag I have beat almost every raptor I've ever raced up until about the 225ft mark. After that they pass me and beat me by 1 to 1 1/2 quad lenths. Most of these raptors were at least piped. I do know that my 450r will kill my 400ex so who knows I believe that my R would have beaten those same raptors by at least 3 to 4 lenths. IMO.

ATC83
03-09-2004, 06:44 AM
Originally posted by lukester720
My 400ex is piped, no lid, and wb rev box. I also weigh 270 and in a 300ft flat drag I have beat almost every raptor I've ever raced up until about the 225ft mark. After that they pass me and beat me by 1 to 1 1/2 quad lenths. Most of these raptors were at least piped. I do know that my 450r will kill my 400ex so who knows I believe that my R would have beaten those same raptors by at least 3 to 4 lenths. IMO.

I own both a 400EX and a Raptor that are moded and I can guarantee you that my 400EX will not beat the Raptor in a drag. I love my 400EX, it's a great bike but lets face facts, the Raptor might have its faults but it is a very powerful quad when modded properly. There's the old saying, there's no replacement for displacement and the Raptor has a lot of displacement over the 400EX. I can understand brand loyalty but I can't understand why someone would post something so ridiculous as the post above.

raptorrider
03-09-2004, 09:41 AM
Sorry for posting the truth. I know that a Honda owner cant ever be beat. Thats just the way you people are. I could care less what brand name it is, I buy a product by what it will do for me. I wrk with a guy who has a bone stock 400ex and claims it will beat Raptors, DS 650's, Z400's, ect. So I guess its all in how much you lie.

trueblue450
03-09-2004, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by sparky450AR
lol

ok if you own a honda the 450r won....if you own a yamaha all the yamahas won! sound fair?

sounds about right.. :eek2: :p

jmpulse
03-09-2004, 11:27 AM
What a great pissing contest!

Stock to stock to stock, the R, YFZ, and Raptor, should all be really close. The will most likely have the biggest dissadvantage, due to the weight it carries. If my memory is correct, the Raptor is about 50 lbs heavier. Since 7lbs equil ruffly 1hp, the Raptor would need about 7 more hp to run equil with the stock R/YFZ. Argue all you want, but what we have here is basic math.

So stock the YFZ and R will most likely trade off wins, due to the power #'s are fairly close, and the Raptor would come up third.

Now when it comes to modded, it becomes a full on ego contest. I am hard pressed to beleive any modified drag results, due to all the factors. With exaust/ airbox mods, I fully beleive that the YFZ will be the fastest of the three on the drag hill. The Raptor and the R would most likely be really close.

Now wake the R up with a piston, and a cam, and YFZ would have a challenge on their hands. But with that said, do the same to the Raptor, and see what happenes.

I am not trying to flame the pissing contest, just look at the facts. I personally have an R, and I would not be upset if I lost to the YFZ. I am planning on getthing the HRC cam, and most likely a 12-13:1 piston. At that point, I should be on fairly equil ground to the YFZ, and still be under the cost of a YFZ. HRC thrown in with sale, and $120 of a piston kit(why do a free cam mod, when I can do a free cam swap!)

Note...Non of this info takes into effect the rider's skills, weight, or inflated egos!

lukester720
03-09-2004, 12:17 PM
By the way guys I didn't say that I ever beat the raptors in the full race just for a little while. They have to much power up top for what the ole' 400ex can handle. Didn't mean to get anyone upset btw all the races have taken place on the dirt flat drag track at haspin acres in laurel, IN.

Sportrax10
03-09-2004, 01:10 PM
I beat a piped yfz in a drag race, but the other rider was about 125lbs more then me...

I also beat a piped lt500, neither of us hooked up too much because it was a muddy feild. I guess I just hooked up a lot more... (Wasnt too long of a drag race either and im sure if it was longer it wouldnt have been a contest for me although I have never riden one...:p )

I beat a piped lt250 which was in the same field above, and that wasnt even close...

raptorrider
03-09-2004, 01:23 PM
Drag racing at Haspin is useless. A buddy of mine beat my Rap on his 300EX due to excessive wheel spin. A bulldozer could burn em off at Haspin.

lukester720
03-09-2004, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by raptorrider
Drag racing at Haspin is useless. A buddy of mine beat my Rap on his 300EX due to excessive wheel spin. A bulldozer could burn em off at Haspin.
Whatever man, just forget I posted anything on this thread WTF! I must have been a bad 300ex cause I've never beaten a raptor there. I'm sure you guys don't believe me but my 400ex actually spins tires too. You guys have convinced me that the raptor is the baddest quad ever I guess I should sell my R to get one since there so much faster. I'm done with this thread sorry that the raptors didn't beat me by 7 or 8 quads but that's just the way it goes.

C41Xracer
03-09-2004, 03:17 PM
i beat a raptor on a 300ex on dry pavement.Then again the raptor didnt know i had a 395cc Mickey Dunlap motor.:D

Charlie

twisted threads
03-09-2004, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by lukester720
Whatever man, just forget I posted anything on this thread WTF! I must have been a bad 300ex cause I've never beaten a raptor there. I'm sure you guys don't believe me but my 400ex actually spins tires too. You guys have convinced me that the raptor is the baddest quad ever I guess I should sell my R to get one since there so much faster. I'm done with this thread sorry that the raptors didn't beat me by 7 or 8 quads but that's just the way it goes.
I wouldn't worry about it man... you know the truth;)

raptorrider
03-09-2004, 03:31 PM
I really dont care which is faster, I was just stateing how much of a joke the "dragstrip" at Haspin is. I have been beaten before, and I know I will again. The 300ex didnt have the power I have, and didnt have as much trouble controlling wheel spin. Yes, I could come back on him. You people take things way too far. I know the 450R is faster than a 400EX, and I know I beat the 450R with a sparks pipe. When it comes to modifications, it depends on the machine. The Raptor reponds very, very well to mods that get air out o the engine faster. The R however, isnt as corked up and a pipe dosent help out as much in perspective.

4fiddyR
03-09-2004, 08:01 PM
What do you mean the R isn't corked up stock???
It has a 119 main jet in it from the factory, people that are piping thses things are putting in around a 185 or 190 main, and a 52 pilot.

raptorrider
03-10-2004, 11:23 AM
YEA!!!.

Bretmd94
03-10-2004, 12:27 PM
I dragged my friends raptor several times (like 20) at the dunes.

I have sparks system, sparks air filter kit, and jetting.

He has a full yosh standard system, proflow k&n, and jetting.

We were both using 8 paddle hualers, only he had 10in rim and i have 8 in rims.

I weigh 175, he weighs 185-190

I never lost...... wasnt even close

I had that raptor by about 4 bike lenghts on the average.

In 4th i stopped pulling him so much. He is also not a retarded dragger. He does very well vs other raptors, and his bike is running well. ( i know i used to have one).

He actually thought he was going to beat me. It was the greatest thing ever.

Also i beat several banshee's with only pipes and hualers. The only races where i was loosing was to a banshee that was running- sst pipes, cool head, v force reeds, and had timing advancement.

I also lost to my other friends 88hp banshee, but we dont even count him anymore.

4fiddyR
03-10-2004, 06:25 PM
YEA!!!.

that is what I say when I drag piped raptors. (after I won of course):devil:

Maxx_Action
03-12-2004, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by trueblue450

Yo Trueblue..

what Raptors you racin? None around here that can come close to my YFZ. Not even a contest...

Maxx

biohazard1.2
03-12-2004, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by Maxx_Action
Yo Trueblue..

what Raptors you racin? None around here that can come close to my YFZ. Not even a contest...

Maxx

or the HRC 3 trxs I have dragged here in sunny FL.:D