PDA

View Full Version : Need new a arms for trail riding

TRFOXX
03-05-2002, 09:45 AM
Well it looks like my stock a arms are wearing fast. My ball joints are getting pretty loose, front top left is the worst. Which brand do you guys recommend on? I dont have to have the best or most expencive just some over all good a arms. I dont race or jump that much so if you guys can help me out with what you think is good that would be great. I will probly go with the $309 deal Works steelers shocks without Ressies from Marcums. What do you guys think? Dont have a lot of money to drop into the machine right at this time so let me know what I can get away with without spending a ton of money like I have already. Keep in mind that I only trail ride.

03-05-2002, 10:03 AM
Houser racing has some stock and +1 A-arms for about $500.

exriderdude
03-05-2002, 12:20 PM
i would go with roll design or lonestar

BANSHEEadam
03-05-2002, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by exriderdude
i would go with roll design or lonestar
^those are also the most expensive ones. Go with anything that has a lifetime warranty. You'll have to decide if u want to go wider or not, too. It would help alot if u don't ride real tight trails.

03-05-2002, 02:51 PM
Have you thought about stock (oem) replacements? If so, check out www.servicehonda.com

Good luck!

400MXer
03-05-2002, 03:25 PM
i would go with roll design or lonestar \

hahaha........yeah if you want to spend a ton of money......which is exactly what this fella doesn't want...he wan't good, quality, strong, inexpensive a arms.

might i suggest laeger....you can get laeger a arms for a lil' over $500 i think. Rico and many other's on this site are also very happy with thier Houser products....so those would be a good choice also. Lonestar does have some recreational a arms that are cheaper than their race arms....but i'm not sure about thier prices......i try to stay away from lonestar products.

NJ300ex
03-05-2002, 03:28 PM
You can get a full set of oem a arms for around $100 from service Honda. Thats what I would do.

mrusk
03-05-2002, 05:13 PM
Go with the houser aarms. When stock parts break its always best to upgrade them to better aftermarket parts.

matt

400MXer
03-05-2002, 05:22 PM
Here ya go...you might get out cheaper if you bid on these, they are +1+0 houser arms.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/ebayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1810497365&r=0&t=0

TRFOXX
03-05-2002, 08:20 PM
Im hoping that they will last a few more rides, they just have a little play in them right at the moment. It will give me a little more time to save up for the a arms. Do i need to get new shocks with the new a arms or can i use the stockers for a little while and then get the Works Steelers? I really dont want to go with the stock a arms again, Ive only had this machine for 10 months now and they are shot already :grr I havent really even riden very much either. I think that Honda !@#$ed up on not being able to replace just the ball joints. Thats all I need, **** even my Suzuki
LT250 R you could replace them. I guess thats 1 area where Honda gets ya to spend more money. Thanks for all the info guys keep it coming, If anyone has extra a arms that are in good working shape let me know. (stock or aftermarket)

mrusk
03-05-2002, 08:27 PM
Are u sure ur ball joints are shot? Maybe the nuts on the tie rod ends loosened up and is given you that feeling. This happened on my R before.

matt

TRFOXX
03-05-2002, 09:05 PM
Yeah im sure that its not the tie rods. Is there suppost to be Any play in them? With the wheels on the ground and I grab a tire and move the front tire side to side it has some play in it, (pushing in and out on the tires sidewall) I never noticed it before. But it is moving where the ball joint is. It seems to ride fine but would like to have a little piece of mind. I can see me running around 50MPH and the thing pops out :(

03-06-2002, 08:17 AM
Wow, 10 months of no hard riding and you have this problem?:confused: I recently replaced my original stockers with new stock replacements after over two years of my fat butt. The only reason I replaced them was for having them bent some, they did not have any play in the ball joint.... even after years of rough trail riding/racing. I'm reading your reply, and something does not sound right. You may be right that it is your ball joint on your a-arms, I'm just surprized that it is that, I have not heard of that happening soo soon.

Note: My experience with the wheel wobbleing was due to the bolts coming loose at the tie rod where it mounts to the steering stem. I know this doesn't help much, but I thought I'd let you know my experience.

TRFOXX
03-06-2002, 01:00 PM
Its just the top 2 a arms that are loose the left worse than the right. About an 1/4 " loose on the left and 1/8" loose on the right.(approx) The bottom 2 are fine. I know I could replace the top 2 a arms from Service Honda and have to pay around $100.00 for those or I can step up to better arms that has the replaceable ball joints and not worrying about this happening again. Plus maybe a little wider +1+0 or +2+1 what do you think? I just want a good set not the best, but something thats good for trail riding.
I dont know what it is but I have had very bad luck with a arms with every sport quad that I have had :( Im not even hitting anything. Only bad part is that Im a big guy 6'2 250lbs. And when I ride I ride hard/fast with my friends and they all have very nice moded machines. Im looking to spend around $300 Can I get a set for that anywhere? An if I do get a set do you recommend on the Works Steelers dual rate w/o rezzys? Marcums has them for $309 I think help me out and get me on the right track! :)

Clay
03-07-2002, 07:05 PM
On the shock thing, dual rate works wont ride nearly as well or soak up the small stuff (whoops, etc...) nearly as well and as smoothly as triple rate. I would save your money until you could get some higher end triple rate shocks. And i would get the +2+1 Housers if i were you. Just my .02.

TRFOXX
03-07-2002, 07:08 PM
UP
Called the dealer and they said to bring it down to take a look at it. Taking it in the morning. Since they stripped my frame/a arms down to be powdercoated, I bet they didnt take out the plastic piece in the a arms so it melted and thats why they've gone bad. Ill find out tomorrow and let you all know whats up!

TRFOXX
03-08-2002, 09:01 AM
I took the 400 to the shop this morning, and they said that the ball joints were bad and that it probaly happend when it was powdercoated. He said he would cut me some slack and get new a ams at cost and that they would do the install for free. I thought that wasent too bad of a deal I was hoping that they would replace it for free but owell it was a shot. What can I say they are 11 months old anyways. Honda of Troys service has been great they have gone the extra distance for me every time I take my machines there to be fixed, worked on or what ever. I would totally recommend buying a quad/bike there, not to mention they were the lowest anywhere around $4,999. I did by my 250ex somewhere else only because of a trade in that I had and the other place would give me more for my 97 RM 250. I wish i would have just bit the bullit and bought it from Honda of Troy. The other place wont help me out with anything or cut you any slack. You even get 15% discount on everything you buy there!
So anyways I droped the machine off and they told me they would have it ready by the end of the day. Hows that for service!
Dosent look like ill be getting any aftermarket a arms after all, I cant pass up this kind of deal. Brand new a arms for around $60 bux. All I do is trail ride anyways about 4 a month why spend all the money? :blah Thanks for all the comment that were given to me to try and help me out and thanks to EXRiders for having this great sight. I wouldnt have a clue If it wasent for this sight.