PDA

View Full Version : Chain and skid plate problem!

dsheola
03-07-2004, 05:59 PM
I just put on my 39tooth rear sprocket on my 400ex with my new DID x ring chain and my chains got too much slack but u can't take out another link or it will be too short. Is there a chain adjustment somewhere that i don't know about??? Also i went to put on my DG swingarm skid plate and it doesn't fit now with the oversized sprocket. I was thinking about putting 1/2 inch spacers between the skid and the swingarm and getting longer bolts. My quad is strickly for mx but i still want the skid bc of rocks at the tracks i ride at and i don't want my chain to get spanked.

please help with any suggestions or input

muff
03-07-2004, 06:08 PM
I'm not sure as for the chain problem...but if you plan on running 18" tires with a 39 tooth rear sprocket you are going to have basically no top end at all, should have gone with a 36 tooth man

just givin you a heads up

03-07-2004, 06:49 PM
fo sho, no top end what so ever but ull get the jump off the line.

Badger_Skid
03-07-2004, 07:02 PM
You should be able to take up the slack with the chain adjustment, if you can't get enough adjustment you'll have to take a link out.

As far as the skid goes, make some spacers out of good quality S.S. tubing if you can find any. 304 S.S. with an 1/8" wall would be a good choice. Also, make sure you buy some good qulity bolts with a good rating to help keep the thing on, loctite all the bolts.
Don't let the chain push into the chain buffer, if it's just the weight of the chain that's ok, but no pressure should be pushing on the buffer. The buffer will wear out prematurely. You can also remove the shock and move the swingarm up and down to see how the chain slack will be during the shock/swingarm travel.

You will lose a huge amount of ground clearance if you go this way but if all you ride is motocross you should be good.

dsheola
03-07-2004, 08:20 PM
thanks for the advice... I already rode my quad today after putting it back together and it still has alot of top end. Each gear is a little shorter but it pulls hard. The LRD full system i have is supposedly one of the best for top and i really could tell. I haven't riden my quad since i put my +2 A Arms on and my +4 axle and lrd full system and sprokets and chain and all. Today was kind of an experimental day. I think i'll be putting spacers in between the swingarm and the skid, as for the slack in the chain i'm still puzzled. If i pull another link it will be way to short. I also am planing on buying a strip of that plastic stuff the put on the swingarm skid so the chain doesn't rub against the skid.

thanks for your input

if anyone knows the answer to my chain dilema let me know!
i'm pretty sure theres no tensioner for it.