PDA

View Full Version : What do you MX racers do to your snorkal?

breaks-alot
03-05-2002, 08:32 AM
I striped down my bike the other night to adjust the valves, any way I took off the air box to clean it and degrease everything else. I was looking at that ugly long snorkel and I want to just take it off, so I did. I was thinking that would be way too much dirt for my uni to deal with so I was wondering who has cut their snorkel shorter and do they have pictures? Also is it worth doing it? Is this strictly a MX mod?

Thanks,
Ben#16

DESDAK4
03-05-2002, 08:39 AM
I don't ride MX, but what I did is take it out and replace it with a red spray paint lid (to match my 400) and cut the center of my airbox lid out. Now I use the lid to hold the outerwears lid in place.

03-05-2002, 09:50 AM
i just stuck a black spray paint lid in there cause i leave the lid off...but if you want fancy nacs sells a block off plug for them.

breaks-alot
03-05-2002, 12:38 PM
Do you guys have pictures of your custom block-offs? Also I had my air box lid off this summer and it really got dusty. My second question is that I have this stock scrambler outerwhere thing that came off my dads bike before we out in the K&N. I took a few pictures and I want to know if I cut this, and then hold it down with the clamp and will I have more airflow? You think that would be a good idea? I would also have the modded lid. Look at the pictures and tell me what you think.

breaks-alot
03-05-2002, 12:41 PM
This is what it accually looks like:

400exRacerX
03-05-2002, 01:10 PM
I use the nac's snorkel plug and run the outwerwears air box cover. I'll get a pic next time I'm at the garage. I would only run this setup on the track because you willa have the airbox lid off and water could get in.

DESDAK4
03-05-2002, 01:19 PM
I don't have a picture but all you do is stick the paint lid in the hole and tighten the clamp.

breaks-alot
03-05-2002, 01:54 PM
Do you think I could cut this foam into 2 squares and clamp it so it’s blocked off and I still got some airflow? I'm beginning to think this would be a great idea if I have the outerwhere air box cover also.

DESDAK4
03-05-2002, 02:22 PM
It would probably work, infact I have one of those upstairs in my garage so I might even look into that. I don't think the water deal is all that big I have been in some nasty stuff in our ditches up here and crossed stream with no problems the gap between the seat and the airbox is fairly small.

breaks-alot
03-06-2002, 10:03 AM
If I use this for more airflow, and I put in 8 uni airbox filters can I ride with the stock jetting? I will only ride like this for a few weeks until I get my pipe, cam and piston. What you guys think? You have to remember I have been ridding all winter with summer jetting(gota keep in great racing shape) So this might level it out until it warms up. What do you guys think?

Thanks again,
Ben#16

03-06-2002, 11:42 AM
I always remove my snorkel and mask after swimming,,my helmet won't fit if I leave them on????:huh

Ok all kidding aside,,,leave the snorkel in there,,is there a real reason for removing it?? I had to remove mine but only because I got an aluminum airbox,,if I had the stocker box on I would always have the snorkel hooked up..if it's not broke don't fix it.

DESDAK4
03-06-2002, 11:47 AM
The main reason mine was removed was because I found that I was getting a ton of this North Dakota snow in it when which would leave water in my airbox.

03-06-2002, 11:51 AM
removing the snorkel also allows air to flow to the bottom or the air filter easier.

trx400ex
03-06-2002, 02:03 PM
i have a nacs plug, its only 8 bucks

breaks-alot
03-06-2002, 02:53 PM
Well I just got done adjusting my valves and putting it all back together (did it in like 15 min!) So I’m off school with mono (I’m only 15) and I felt like taking it down the road. I had the snorkel completely off and wanted to see how it went. Its odd but it made a noticeable improvement! Then my friend came over after school to see how I was feeling so he had to try it out, He could tell also! It seems that if I block it with that foam so dirt doesn't get in but air still does it would be a great cheep mod! I'm going to jet it tomorrow (gives me something to do) then I will tell you guys how its running after I get done!

JabberJaw
03-06-2002, 03:52 PM
When I go riding, I just take off my underware and stuff them in the hole where the snorkel used to be. Then after a long day of riding in the mud, I put the underware back on, and go home. It really freaks the buhgeebers out of my wife :-)